ADVERTISEMENT

In Bounds Play

For a while we were keeping a guy under the basket to prevent the layup, but we went away from that.

I’m sure some here will find issue with a negative post in a blowout W but it’s a real question that needs answering. It doesn’t matter in a game like tonight but can be the difference in a game like at Georgia last year. Very troubling that Cal just continues to let the other team score at will on their out of bounds plays.

Not surprised that OP started this thread after that game, but it's a legitimate question even if the timing of the post is suspect (but on brand).

It's because Cal won't go zone on out of bounds plays under our basket. If you're always in M2M on those plays, inevitably somebody is going to lose track of their guy on occasion resulting in easy layups.

It's part coaching and part execution.

I’m sure some here will find issue with a negative post in a blowout W but it’s a real question that needs answering. It doesn’t matter in a game like tonight but can be the difference in a game like at Georgia last year. Very troubling that Cal just continues to let the other team score at will on their out of bounds plays.
Think I counted 4 times.

Why do UK opponents consistently get multiple layups on in bounds plays under their own basket each game and UK never gets a layup on in bounds plays? Why do we have to watch this same scenario every game?
Because we are one of the few teams in America that still plays man to man on out of bounds plays under our basket.
If you insist on M2M you must switch the picks at least.
you can’t fight through every pick in the paint.
Watch the UM basket in the second half, under the basket. We were in man, of course, and Oscar trails his man to the basket for a 5 foot pass directly in front of the “inbounder” and a 2 foot layup. No one in America gives that up.
My sons 7th grade team would not allow that basket.

Why do UK opponents consistently get multiple layups on in bounds plays under their own basket each game and UK never gets a layup on in bounds plays? Why do we have to watch this same scenario every game?
Even my wife said the same thing last night during the game- would love to see us get 1 inbounds layup per season but hard to do when you just throw it to the corner every inbounds play

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
It made the difference in the Notre Dame game too
2 wide open baskets ..........didn't ND win by 3

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Coaching?
It's not coaching, hell we were taught in middle school how to guard out of bounds plays with a man to man defense. I'd say that Cal and assistants are pissed about what happenrd last night and it will be addressed. Just lacadazical play on the players part, they know better IMO.

Turning off the TV will work.

He'd rather give up a layup than a wide open 3. Over time analytics add up, but like Bill Belichick says "Stats are for losers"

It's not coaching, hell we were taught in middle school how to guard out of bounds plays with a man to man defense. I'd say that Cal and assistants are pissed about what happenrd last night and it will be addressed. Just lacadazical play on the players part, they know better IMO.
Been going on for 13 years......if Cal was pissed would have addressed the problem years ago.

There has to be a reason, right? It's not just "failing to understand how to defend an inbounds" (although Im sure some like to think Cal doesn't know basketball). He must be doing this for a reason.. maybe he purposely keeps inbound plays under the hoop cut and dry? Prefers to work on other things in practice? Maybe like someone said, prefers the 2 over the 3?

Not saying I agree with it.. but there has to be an explanation.

Sometimes it seems Cal prefers to keep things simple for most of his young and inexperienced teams.. maybe to a fault I guess.

Reactions: Tubbyfan78
There has to be a reason, right? It's not just "failing to understand how to defend an inbounds" (although Im sure some like to think Cal doesn't know basketball). He must be doing this for a reason.. maybe he purposely keeps inbound plays under the hoop cut and dry? Prefers to work on other things in practice? Maybe like someone said, prefers the 2 over the 3?

Not saying I agree with it.. but there has to be an explanation.

Sometimes it seems Cal prefers to keep things simple for most of his young and inexperienced teams.. maybe to a fault I guess.
I just can’t fathom inbounds plays (on offense at least) taking up a lot of time in practice. These aren’t 5th graders….seems like they’d be able to catch on pretty quick.

Always bugs me to watch other teams score on us on inbounds plays…..yet it never occurs to the coaching staff….”maybe we could get a couple easy buckets per game doing that”

Reactions: Disappointed Cat
I just can’t fathom inbounds plays (on offense at least) taking up a lot of time in practice. These aren’t 5th graders….seems like they’d be able to catch on pretty quick.

Always bugs me to watch other teams score on us on inbounds plays…..yet it never occurs to the coaching staff….”maybe we could get a couple easy buckets per game doing that”

I guess I agree, how much time could it take? It does seem that Cal focuses on the stuff that's most important, given the limited time he has with some of these 1ADs and 2ADs.

I just can't imagine any coach of his stature doesn't know how to run different inbounds defensive plays. Any one know what he did at Umass and Memphis?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT