ADVERTISEMENT

I'm Officially Off the Cal-aid

Eight_Banners

Blue Chip Prospect
Apr 4, 2012
I was a Cal supporter until the very end. My tipping point, maybe surprising to some, was Adou Theiro entering the transfer portal. If we can't keep kids around at the University of Kentucky that should be, there's a problem in the system. Cal built a system that was sustainable and effective in the beginning, with some caveat. It was no longer sustainable, and no longer effective. At some point, Calipari got to a place where he was using the University of Kentucky to exalt himself and couldn't care less about Kentucky and the fans. In many ways, the players that were part of the cog took on Calipari's mindset (see DeMarcus Cousins). In the beginning, Kentucky benefitted, so I/we were good with it. I loved much of the last fifteen years because we were the conversation in college basketball, winning or losing, for better or worse. From 1998-2009, Kentucky was only taken seriously through a few seasons, and we were not the team that dominated the national conversation. John Calipari changed that, and in 2009 we were immediately the talk of the nation. From the beginning, I felt like players were coming to Kentucky because of John Calipari and not because of Kentucky. I liked it because it kept us in the national conversation, but I hated it because it always felt like it was about John Calipari and not Kentucky. It always felt like the day Calipari left, Kentucky would forfeit its place on top of the national conversation. The timing of this, I think, changes that. We are Kentucky. We will have money to build rosters. We have a coach that has the potential to win, a lot. We will have consistency and continuity for the first time in fifteen years, which is what killed us year after year (with the exception of 2012/2015/2018) for the last fifteen years. You have to have continuity and consistency to win big in college basketball. Calipari was not going to create a culture of consistency, and it was time for him to go.

Listening to Barnhart talk on KSR this morning was revealing, although subtle. Calipari was about a different brand than Kentucky basketball. He was more concerned about his way of doing things for John Calipari, and the one and done players to a lesser degree, than about advancing boosting the Kentucky brand. I think he thought that keeping Kentucky in the national conversation was the same as advancing our brand, but we became a team content with losing, so long as we were stealing headlines.

His exit from Kentucky is the perfect example of this. He says they tried to keep his move under wraps until after the national championship game in order to let the players from UCONN and Purdue have their moment. I don't believe it for a second. He stole the spotlight from those two teams and brought it on himself at the precise time of his choosing. Everything he does to raise himself up is calculated. The hardest part is that he has an out for his self-aggrandizement in that he helps all those kids achieve their dreams. Being about the kids was, in reality, second-tier to his self-promotion; it was a cover. Does this mean that I can't enjoy what Cal did at the University of Kentucky and all the names that are now associated with our program as a result? Absolutely not! I love the fact that John Wall, Anthony Davis, Devin Booker, Shai Gilgeous Alexander, Oscar Tshiebwe, etc. are in the same breath as the University of Kentucky. The problem is, Calipari made us believe that we couldn't be the University of Kentucky without John Calipari. Mitch saw it too late. Others saw it. Many on this board saw it even earlier. I just wanted to win basketball games, and I thought Calipari was the coach that could get that done (at least through 2022). I had a hard time seeing us continuing to maintain a place in the national conversation apart from what Calipari was doing.

Maybe we have a drop-off in the conversation with Coach Pope. If so, at least we have a drop-off where Kentucky basketball is respected for its tradition and excellence rather than for the number of players we put in the NBA. If "K-E-N-T-U-C-K-Y" across the front of the jersey is worn with the pride it deserves by the players who earn the right, I will not care how many NBA all-stars have "College: Kentucky" in their bio line in the next fifteen years.

I'm excited about Kentucky moving on because we get to show the world we're Kentucky without Calipari.

Last edited:
When Cal told the AR crowd the way he does things, the way he was going to do things and they started clapping I thought 'they know not what they are doing.'
Honestly, the three things that have steered my opinion to the conclusion that I made are Cal's video announcing that he's leaving, his press conference at Arkansas, and Barnhart's discussion on KSR this morning.

First, Calipari is a human being, and there were genuine emotions in his departure video. There were also layers to what he was saying the felt fake and scripted. He's just a business man at heart, and because of that, self-promotion is at the root in everything he does.

The press conference at Arkansas attacked Mitch Barnhart. Sure, not everything Mitch Barnhart has done for the University of Kentucky, or for John Calipari, has been perfect. However, to jab at him saying "Administrations win championships," was low-class. John Calipari couldn't even win a single tournament game, with stacked rosters, the last three years. It wasn't Mitch Barnhart's game-planning that lost against Oakland. Administrations might win championships, but it wasn't Mitch Barnhart that failed the last five years at UK, it was John Calipari. His failure to own it is sickening.

Barnhart's heart for KENTUCKY was felt this morning in his interview with KSR. He and Mark Pope care about the brand and the people of Kentucky more than Calipari could even fathom. Calipari was always about Calipari. That works when it's beneficial to coach, players, and fans. When it's only benefitting the coach and players, it no longer works. If he had changed his focus to Kentucky success, it could have worked. That was an impossible change for him, and the move out was best for all. Whether they realize it or not, the college basketball world was put on notice by Barnhart with this hire. Kentucky basketball and Big Blue Nation are coming after the world again!

Once you officially get off the Cal train you start to see things a bit differently and you notice stuff more. Not just constantly making excuses.

That said when it was good it WAS GOOD for the stuff Cal did.
I will always remember, respect and thank him for the good.

But I am so glad it’s over.

YES been off that train since 2019. Once he forgot how to be hungry and humble, the very things he preached when he first came here. We have our program back, and i think alot of people are feeling that too.
I try to stay away from "never, always, every time, every thing" (though I did say "everything" in an earlier post), but I will say that Calipari never seemed to be about the University of Kentucky. Maybe his first press conference and his decision to take the job. However, even that, in hindsight, seemed to be about Calipari achieving his dream, not about advancing the University of Kentucky.

What has come to light and what has been said the last few days has solidified my opinion of him:

Wanting to go to OSU in Feb., which had to have had an effect on him finally "checking out" on his coaching (even more than the last few years).

Saying he should have gone to UCLA in 2019.

His thinly veiled shots at Mitch Barnhart.

The timing, and what I believe is dishonesty about the "leak."

Everything else that has happened leading up to this.

What has come to light and what has been said the last few days has solidified my opinion of him:

Wanting to go to OSU in Feb., which had to have had an effect on him finally "checking out" on his coaching (even more than the last few years).

Saying he should have gone to UCLA in 2019.

His thinly veiled shots at Mitch Barnhart.

The timing, and what I believe is dishonesty about the "leak."

Everything else that has happened leading up to this.
The hardest part about Ellen's Roommate is that it was hard to separate his success from the success of the basketball program. The last five years demonstrated that as long as he was thriving, a la a $9 million contract, he didn't care that Kentucky basketball was failing. The failure of the team didn't affect him, so it didn't matter. The fans didn't matter, the product didn't matter, and the outcome didn't matter.

With Mark Pope, all of those things will matter. He cares too much to let Kentucky fail. He will know when it's time to go when that time comes.

not only did he take shots at Barnhart, he took shots at Craft.

Instead of making the moment all about Arkansas, he acted liked a dejected boyfriend during a breakup

Its clear he doesn't want to be at Arkansas, he just wanted to be at Kentucky and have free reign to say, act and do as he pleased without accountability. Even crazier, it seems in some way, even though he refused to do call in shows , etc, he still believed that he was beloved across the state and people would rally behind him.

He took a pay cut at Arkansas. Does Cal strike anyone as the kind of guy who thinks he deserves less pay?

Thats all you need to know.

I’ve been off and on with Cal for awhile now with the loss to Oakland being my final straw. I think Pope will heal many big blue hearts in the next couple years.

Reactions: BlazerHallsBallsN96

Instead of making the moment all about Arkansas, he acted liked a dejected boyfriend during a breakup

Its clear he doesn't want to be at Arkansas, he just wanted to be at Kentucky and have free reign to say, act and do as he pleased without accountability. Even crazier, it seems in some way, even though he refused to do call in shows , etc, he still believed that he was beloved across the state and people would rally behind him.

He took a pay cut at Arkansas. Does Cal strike anyone as the kind of guy who thinks he deserves less pay?

Seems like everyone is seeing the same things. Kentucky basketball was in a toxic situation and Ellen's Roommate was the best at pulling the wool over the eyes of the fanbase.

I was entirely sold on the need for high recruits to go along with experienced players. The problem is, he couldn't keep kids around, and wasn't successful with roster turnover.

I also think he made that heart felt video to the fans, both he and Ellen , because he knows he is coming back into Rupp next year with his team.

That won't work
I think the atmosphere at Rupp when Arkansas comes to town will depend on how much of the hidden junk from the past comes to light prior to the game. Maybe all that stuff stays hidden, but from listening to Mitch and Jack Givens on KSR yesterday, what they didn't say said a lot, and I'll be surprised if some big things don't come out in the next five to ten months prior to the Arkansas game.

Nothing wrong with “late to the party” to realize Cal is a bullshit artist extraordinaire. Some of the guys were ahead of their time but turned out to be correct.

Shaedon Sharpe was my final straw
I was about to say this. I was worried after draft day statement in 2010. The NIT in 2013. The Wisconsin loss in 2015 pretty much did me in. The last 4 years and Sharpe were just sickening and disgraceful. Cal never cared about UK only himself and getting players drafted. The way he left was an effort to destroy the program. I hope he is booed out of Rupp next year.

I was about to say this. I was worried after draft day statement in 2010. The NIT in 2013. The Wisconsin loss in 2015 pretty much did me in. The last 4 years and Sharpe were just sickening and disgraceful. Cal never cared about UK only himself and getting players drafted. The way he left was an effort to destroy the program. I hope he is booed out of Rupp next year.
Here is a challenge for you:

Think of one game where Ellen's Roommate out coached the other team in his time at Kentucky. There is not one game that stands out where he was the better coach on the sideline, he just had the most talent on the floor in almost every game he coached at UK.

One game that stands out, if I am remembering it correctly, is the 2014 National Championship game. We were down 10-15 points, Ellen's Roommate switched to Zone, and UK came back within a point or two. He switched back to Man-to-man and lost the game.

Another game was the 2015 Elite Eight game against Notre Dame. The Auguste kid was killing us. Ellen's Roommate basically let KAT go at Notre Dame and dared them to stop him. Again, if I'm remembering correctly, he never adjusted to Auguste, but we won the game because KAT dominated offensively. If not for KAT, UK would never have even made the Final Four.

Reactions: TNCatfanforever
I've been off and on with Cal since the year we lost to Kansas State with an easy path to the final 4.

I think it was 2019...

I have tried to be optimistic, and have talked myself into believing at times, but I think the Saint Peters loss did me in for good with him.

I'm not sure when he lost me but Diallo was when I started questioning him.

He was justifying losing games to get Diallo time. That was about the time I had UK fans start telling me December losses don't matter too.

I hope those people go cheer for Arkansas

Welcome aboard, I got off the Cal train 5 years ago and have never looked back.
Wish I knew when I got off. That 9-16 season was a shit fest, but I was also living in Istanbul at the time, avoiding Covid lockdowns in China. So I kinda had a lot going on.

I was a Cal supporter until the very end. My tipping point, maybe surprising to some, was Adou Theiro entering the transfer portal. If we can't keep kids around at the University of Kentucky that should be, there's a problem in the system. Cal built a system that was sustainable and effective in the beginning, with some caveat. It was no longer sustainable, and no longer effective. At some point, Calipari got to a place where he was using the University of Kentucky to exalt himself and couldn't care less about Kentucky and the fans. In many ways, the players that were part of the cog took on Calipari's mindset (see DeMarcus Cousins). In the beginning, Kentucky benefitted, so I/we were good with it. I loved much of the last fifteen years because we were the conversation in college basketball, winning or losing, for better or worse. From 1998-2009, Kentucky was only taken seriously through a few seasons, and we were not the team that dominated the national conversation. John Calipari changed that, and in 2009 we were immediately the talk of the nation. From the beginning, I felt like players were coming to Kentucky because of John Calipari and not because of Kentucky. I liked it because it kept us in the national conversation, but I hated it because it always felt like it was about John Calipari and not Kentucky. It always felt like the day Calipari left, Kentucky would forfeit its place on top of the national conversation. The timing of this, I think, changes that. We are Kentucky. We will have money to build rosters. We have a coach that has the potential to win, a lot. We will have consistency and continuity for the first time in fifteen years, which is what killed us year after year (with the exception of 2012/2015/2018) for the last fifteen years. You have to have continuity and consistency to win big in college basketball. Calipari was not going to create a culture of consistency, and it was time for him to go.

Listening to Barnhart talk on KSR this morning was revealing, although subtle. Calipari was about a different brand than Kentucky basketball. He was more concerned about his way of doing things for John Calipari, and the one and done players to a lesser degree, than about advancing boosting the Kentucky brand. I think he thought that keeping Kentucky in the national conversation was the same as advancing our brand, but we became a team content with losing, so long as we were stealing headlines.

His exit from Kentucky is the perfect example of this. He says they tried to keep his move under wraps until after the national championship game in order to let the players from UCONN and Purdue have their moment. I don't believe it for a second. He stole the spotlight from those two teams and brought it on himself at the precise time of his choosing. Everything he does to raise himself up is calculated. The hardest part is that he has an out for his self-aggrandizement in that he helps all those kids achieve their dreams. Being about the kids was, in reality, second-tier to his self-promotion; it was a cover. Does this mean that I can't enjoy what Cal did at the University of Kentucky and all the names that are now associated with our program as a result? Absolutely not! I love the fact that John Wall, Anthony Davis, Devin Booker, Shai Gilgeous Alexander, Oscar Tshiebwe, etc. are in the same breath as the University of Kentucky. The problem is, Calipari made us believe that we couldn't be the University of Kentucky without John Calipari. Mitch saw it too late. Others saw it. Many on this board saw it even earlier. I just wanted to win basketball games, and I thought Calipari was the coach that could get that done (at least through 2022). I had a hard time seeing us continuing to maintain a place in the national conversation apart from what Calipari was doing.

Maybe we have a drop-off in the conversation with Coach Pope. If so, at least we have a drop-off where Kentucky basketball is respected for its tradition and excellence rather than for the number of players we put in the NBA. If "K-E-N-T-U-C-K-Y" across the front of the jersey is worn with the pride it deserves by the players who earn the right, I will not care how many NBA all-stars have "College: Kentucky" in their bio line in the next fifteen years.

I'm excited about Kentucky moving on because we get to show the world we're Kentucky without Calipari.
In a nutshell, Cal was all about Cal. The rest was smoke and mirrors.

I agree, I am old school being a Kentucky fan my whole life. Kentucky, the state, university and its people mean way more to me than a basketball coach. When he said the things he said it cut me deep, I had to pray for forgiveness for the hatred I harbored for the man and still struggle with it today. I feel a sense of comfort knowing we have a coach now that knows how most of us feel. If given the time, the product he gives us will finally bring this fanbase back together.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
Won’t get it verbatim but during his introductory press conference the other day he said something along the lines of when I bring all of these people to Arkansas you will know I did it and you can thank me for it. That is who he is, it has never been about anyone other than him. Even players first is a farce, with his players it is look what I have done for you! He is a phony narcissist!

Reactions: CBBCrazy

Welcome, glad to see some of the younger guys finally getting it. Those of us that have seen five or six coaches have been screaming this for a good few years now. The coach does not make Kentucky. I am very excited to finally see what a true blue coach can get done.

Welcome, glad to see some of the younger guys finally getting it. Those of us that have seen five or six coaches have been screaming this for a good few years now. The coach does not make Kentucky. I am very excited to finally see what a true blue coach can get done.
I'm middle-aged. I'm old enough to remember Pitino's third season onward.

More like a
I'm middle-aged. I'm old enough to remember Pitino's third season onward

I get ya, I’m middle age, I remember Joe B Halls last three seasons. Since Pitino, and those last two years were amazing, but until Cal, Kentucky lacked a bit of luster. It has been in the dumpster the last four.

Capping off four straight years of not getting out if the first weekend with Reed, Rob, and Antonio coming off working the Portal including a player if the year that actually came back made it start to get hard to see the way to a winning formula again.

Not being able to get higher level defense over the same stretch after that being the calling card was even more worrisome.

Actually seeming to adapt the offense and the skillsets of recruits only to turn to whatever that was against Tom Brady's college roommate and friends was disturbing.

Reactions: 5percentFringe
I think in the days leading up to the Kentucky game, he will give his usual spiel talking up the other team. You know how every 14-11 team was better than their record so that he can set the narrative before he shits the bed. That way he can say after how they lost to a good team to hide his shortcomings as a head coach no matter how awful of a loss the team really just took. In no way saying UK will only be 14-11, just emphasizing the tired ass line he always used to try to take the heat off him when he ultimately loses.

I can see him trying to hold Arkansas hostage in the near future (e.g., threats of leaving to another school, how much are going to pay me to keep me etc.) . The OP is correct it is all about him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT