ADVERTISEMENT

I'm not counting on Grant Nelson, but

Smashcat

All-American
Gold Member
Mar 13, 2012
here's some verbiage from Ben Roberts today on the kid.

If he doesn’t hear something like that, it might mean a return to college basketball, where Nelson still has two more seasons of eligibility remaining. If that happens, he’d be arguably the top available player in the country. 247Sports’ transfer rankings have Nelson at No. 3 overall, behind only Dickinson and former Oregon center Kel’el Ware, who has already committed to Indiana.

A FIT FOR KENTUCKY? If Nelson does return to college and Tshiebwe stays in the draft, expect to hear the transfer’s name linked with Kentucky. On paper, he’d certainly be a fit for what the Wildcats would need. Nelson measured at 6-10 without shoes at the combine — nearly 3 inches taller than Tshiebwe, for comparison’s sake — and had a 7-foot wingspan, officially weighing in at 223 pounds. He averaged 17.9 points, 9.3 rebounds and 1.7 blocked shots per game this past season. Plenty productive, albeit against a considerably lower level of competition. He did turn some heads at the combine, however. And that happened even before the five-on-five games began.

Nelson did say that he thinks his main strengths in the NBA next season would be as a rebounder and rim-protector — two skills that Kentucky would almost certainly welcome if Tshiebwe decides to go pro. Whether or not Nelson would be given ample opportunity to create from the perimeter is another question.

Read more at: https://www.kentucky.com/sports/col...tball-men/article275601816.html#storylink=cpy

Last edited:

If he doesn’t hear something like that, it might mean a return to college basketball, where Nelson still has two more seasons of eligibility remaining. If that happens, he’d be arguably the top available player in the country. 247Sports’ transfer rankings have Nelson at No. 3 overall, behind only Dickinson and former Oregon center Kel’el Ware, who has already committed to Indiana.

A FIT FOR KENTUCKY? If Nelson does return to college and Tshiebwe stays in the draft, expect to hear the transfer’s name linked with Kentucky. On paper, he’d certainly be a fit for what the Wildcats would need. Nelson measured at 6-10 without shoes at the combine — nearly 3 inches taller than Tshiebwe, for comparison’s sake — and had a 7-foot wingspan, officially weighing in at 223 pounds. He averaged 17.9 points, 9.3 rebounds and 1.7 blocked shots per game this past season. Plenty productive, albeit against a considerably lower level of competition. He did turn some heads at the combine, however. And that happened even before the five-on-five games began.

Nelson did say that he thinks his main strengths in the NBA next season would be as a rebounder and rim-protector — two skills that Kentucky would almost certainly welcome if Tshiebwe decides to go pro. Whether or not Nelson would be given ample opportunity to create from the perimeter is another question.

Read more at: https://www.kentucky.com/sports/col...tball-men/article275601816.html#storylink=cpy
Getting this kid to Kentucky might actually go a long way to restoring some hope in next season's Final Four chances. Getting Nelson and Reeves back make Kentucky a top 5 team and gives Cal a plethora of roster options. Both look like longshots right now, however.

First, it must be said, as far-fetched as it might sound it's not impossible Nelson could be taken late in the first round. Not likely, but not impossible. The Pacers had him in for a workout and they have two late-round choices (26th and 29th) among their three first-round selections. Does that mean anything? Probably not, but what if it does?

Grant Nelson scrimmage fourteen.JPG

Grant Nelson of North Dakota State (78) runs up the court at the NBA Draft Combine at Wintrust Arena in Chicago on Wednesday May 17.
Scott Comeau / Ballislife.com
Second, despite the fact Nelson wants to play in the NBA as soon as possible you can't discount that he can return to college and play for a big-time program for a season and make some NIL money while potentially improving his draft stock.

Remember, he entered the transfer portal to give himself a Plan B (and maybe a little leverage).

What if a team wants to take Nelson in the second round and put him on a two-way contract that allows them to shuttle him back and forth between the NBA club and its G League (minor-league) affiliate? If, say, Milwaukee takes Nelson with the final pick of the second round and wants him to split time between the big club and its G League team in Oshkosh, Wis., and he can max out at

https://www.inforum.com/sports/biso...ys-from-grant-nelsons-week-at-the-nba-combine

Getting this kid to Kentucky might actually go a long way to restoring some hope in next season's Final Four chances. Getting Nelson and Reeves back make Kentucky a top 5 team and gives Cal a plethora of roster options. Both look like longshots right now, however.
Reeves is a long shot to return?

Like, what?
Don't get me wrong. I would love to see Nelson at UK next season regardless. But if it becomes obvious early that Nelson should be the starting PF it’s going to be a constant source of frustration and upset with the fanbase and questioning by local and probably even national media. We just went through that last season with Wheeler starting and Reeves not despite the fact that most seemed to think it was clear that he should (even if that meant Livingston would be coming off the bench). I wonder whether Calipari would want that again.

media. We just went through that last season with Wheeler starting and Reeves not despite the fact that it most seemed to think it was cle

I think the talent level upgrade will compensate for that. Nelson and Bradshaw can play hybrid 4/5 roles. What happened to the positionless basketball?

Reactions: G-PIP
Would love to see this young man at UK but the question is would Bradshaw let UK recruit him ?
I just don’t think he leaves from the West Coast plus all the negative recruiting, Arizona used it and others will promise Nelson the Star treatment, not that he will be the 3-4th option behind the freshman. I hope we can get him, but not expecting it.

Don't get me wrong. I would love to see Nelson at UK next season regardless. But if it becomes obvious early that Nelson should be the starting PF it’s going to be a constant source of frustration and upset with the fanbase and questioning by local and probably even national media. We just went through that last season with Wheeler starting and Reeves not despite the fact that it most seemed to think it was clear that he should (even if that meant Livingston would be coming off the bench). I wonder whether Calipari would want that again.
If cal got grant Nelson and didn’t start him then he truly is past redeeming

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
I think the talent level upgrade will compensate for that. Nelson and Bradshaw can play hybrid 4/5 roles. What happened to the positionless basketball?
I'm with you. You have to have defense, rebounding, etc., not just offense. And with the advent of the 3-pt. shot and its impact, you have to have perimeter shooting (although not every player on the floor needs to or should be taking many). The devil may be in the details, but the goal is to just put a starting five on the floor that gives you the best chance to win, right?

I might be too biased toward offense, but I think if a player can cover a position defensively, etc., and not otherwise be a net negative, then playing the guy who has the best offense often impacts winning more - doesn't' matter what position the guy plays or what position label.

Reactions: dl51344
I think you're absolutely right. But what if it quickly becomes pretty obvious to the great majority of fans & media that Nelson is presently a better college PF option than Bradshaw?
When has Cal ever given a shit when the fans and media blatantly point out to him who should be on the floor?

Cal ain’t pissing in Bradshaw’s and Klutch’s Cheerios no matter how much better Nelson appears to be, end of story.

If cal got grant Nelson and didn’t start him then he truly is past redeeming
Nelson does look very impressive in the videos. But I don't know that he should be the starting PF (or any other position). Like WildcatfaininOhio said, I just want an unbiased and honest determination by the coaches (not me) as to which player has the biggest impact on UK winning that particular game. The team goal of winning has to come first. The University and coaches get a lot of benefit off these players, and in return the players should get their best efforts for them individually - but not at the expense of putting a lesser product on the floor.

Nelson does look very impressive in the videos. But I don't know that he should be the starting PF (or any other position). Like WildcatfaininOhio said, I just want an unbiased and honest determination by the coaches (not me) as to which player has the biggest impact on UK winning that particular game. The team goal of winning has to come first. The University and coaches get a lot of benefit off these players, and in return the players should get their best efforts for them individually - but not at the expense of putting a lesser product on the floor.
Agree to me the biggest change in calipari from his early days, was he used to never promise anybody a spot and now he is promising people Spots and even positions they shouldn’t be plying

Last edited:
When has Cal ever given a shit when the fans and media blatantly point out to him who should be on the floor?

Cal ain’t pissing in Bradshaw’s and Klutch’s Cheerios no matter how much better Nelson appears to be, end of story.
But if this is the case, why would Calipari want to bring in Nelson?

Cal has already ruined any shot at getting Nelson.He's a 4 but Cal did all those recent interviews about Bradshaw being the 4 and our best shooting option.He even went as far as saying Aaron is only a 4.You think the other coaches recruiting him won't show him this?Cal is killing us.
You are spot on with this. Cal has all but promised Bradshaw the starting PF position and that may hurt getting some one like Nelson.

I have really, really liked this kid, and hope we can get him if Oscar doesn't come back.

Reactions: HYTCHYE ISLAND
They have like 23 players. I thought all these guys want to start and that's why they won't come here? Can't be anything to do with our terrible offensive sets, Cal's inability to cover up defensive weaknesses and his propensity to play 5 star freshmen over older, more productive players.
They are still supposed to get Ron Holland.

Agree to me the biggest change in calipari from his early days, was he used to never promise anybody a spot and now he is promising people Spots and even positions they shouldn’t be plying

The first promise I ever remember cal making was to Brandon Boston when he let his film crew follow everywhere. Then suddenly you started hearing about promises on positions and how they'd be used.

Jmo but I think cal went the promise route when he sold his soul to get back on top in recruiting. The program is much worse off for it

It's just a major down grade from Oscar. We should of had Oscar back. He should be on this roster but instead we will go with ugo and another nobody. But we have to fill the roster. Like Sharpe we lose because he should have played. We'lll ask ourselves what if Oscar was on this team.

They have like 23 players. I thought all these guys want to start and that's why they won't come here? Can't be anything to do with our terrible offensive sets, Cal's inability to cover up defensive weaknesses and his propensity to play 5 star freshmen over older, more productive players.
No, we don't "have like 23 players". We have a normal number for this point in the offseason. You're just parroting what others have said. We lost a ton of our team from last year and had to replace them.

• Haha
Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Nelson runs the risk of being exposed at a p5 school. His stock is likely as high as the it gets right now. I’ve read several articles and the nba feedback is favorable for him to stay in the draft.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT