ADVERTISEMENT

I'm going to downgrade will riley a bit

davekersey

Junior
Oct 10, 2007
Naples, Florida
Watched two full games. Several turnovers, some blocked shots because he was forcing things trying to drive into trouble. Appeared to me that he was a little selfish with the handle. And in one game, his coach sat him, didn't play him the fourth period. I need to be more convinced that what we've recently seen is repeatable before I call him the next mashburn.

If Riley would wants playing time right away, UK is not the place for him. He is just not ready for big time college ball. Too immature and not developed enough. That is why I had Riley down the list of players I wanted to sign. I wanted a guy who was proven, or would be OK with taking a couple years to develop.

If Riley would wants playing time right away, UK is not the place for him. He is just not ready for big time college ball. Too immature and not developed enough. That is why I had Riley down the list of players I wanted to sign. I wanted a guy who was proven, or would be OK with taking a couple years to develop.

Watched two full games. Several turnovers, some blocked shots because he was forcing things trying to drive into trouble. Appeared to me that he was a little selfish with the handle. And in one game, his coach sat him, didn't play him the fourth period. I need to be more convinced that what we've recently seen is repeatable before I call him the next mashburn.
If I am taking a reclass, just from what little I have seen from the 2, I would rather have Peterson. He is younger than Riley. But, he looks stronger and more ready physically. Plus, he looked like he could shot or get to the rim. I have only seen a few vids of each. So, I could definitely be wrong but I would take Peterson, especially if you get 2 years.

If I am taking a reclass, just from what little I have seen from the 2, I would rather have Peterson. He is younger than Riley. But, he looks stronger and more ready physically. Plus, he looked like he could shot or get to the rim. I have only seen a few vids of each. So, I could definitely be wrong but I would take Peterson, especially if you get 2 years.
I’d prefer Peterson too but Riley has the talent. It’s up to the coaches to get him to tap into it and make him the best player he can be. Lead him on the right path.

I’d prefer Peterson too but Riley has the talent. It’s up to the coaches to get him to tap into it and make him the best player he can be. Lead him on the right path.
IF he is wanting playing time now, whos minutes do you give him ? I do not think he will come here and not play less than 20-25 mpg. On THIS team, the minutes just are not there for a young guy to cut his teeth.

I dont know the answer Im sure someone does. In Cals 15 years at UK did he ever have any freshman lead UK in scoring or were any of these player named a All American ? AD maybe but I dont remember.

Jasper #1 choice if he would reclass to UK. Then either of Riley or Peterson (both have to know they will get opportunity) but not going to be choice 1 in offense.

Reactions: JasonRDunn
Only John Wall, Brandon Knight, Anthony Davis, Archie Goodwin, Julius Randle, Jamal Murray, Malik Monk, and Kevin Knox
Any of those not one and dones? 7 players. I wonder were any of the 7 n the same recruiting class? I lived in Taiwan when those 7 played. I wonder if Reed and Dilly were All Americans. You would think so.

I'm very hi on all three. But if we want someone that can actually offer something we don't have now it's Peterson. Probably here for two years. I also like the kids that was committed to vanderbilt. I think he will turn into something great. I've heard Peterson won't reclass. If these kids would think it's not are you ready now. Are you going to improve more in hi school or here. I think it would be a great move for Peterson to reclass. He's my first pick then Riley. I want a reclass. I see no one left that's better than what we already have. Why jam a already crowded rooster.

• Wow
Reactions: CatTough
Any of those not one and dones? 7 players. I wonder were any of the 7 n the same recruiting class? I lived in Taiwan when those 7 played. I wonder if Reed and Dilly were All Americans. You would think so.
It’s 8 but yeah they were all one and dones.

Reactions: Fox2monk
I agree 💯

Reactions: susan2361
Sounds like a typical HS player to me.

I completely trust Dave's evaluations. It sounds like pope should/could tell him come to UK and we'll develop your skills and body at the pace you can handle. No promises, everything is earned.

Dave, Riley doesn't remind me at all of Mashburn. They have completely different body types and they play the game differently. Riley is more of a finesse volume shooter. I like his height and ability to face up and create space for his shot. Eventually he'll develop more body control on his drives and maybe a floater at the free throw line.

For a freshman, he's going to be able to get his points. On defense, he'll need some work to be able to hold his own at the 3. I agree that he'd have to work hard to stay on the court with the experience we've got right now at the 2 and the 3.

2-4 freshmen a year would be a realistic expectation. What we’ve experienced this year was due to not having a roster. Pope will decide on a formula that allows some freshmen to stay and develop, some superstars, and older transfers.
I’m good with that and I think that’s a smart approach.

I'm very hi on all three. But if we want someone that can actually offer something we don't have now it's Peterson. Probably here for two years. I also like the kids that was committed to vanderbilt. I think he will turn into something great. I've heard Peterson won't reclass. If these kids would think it's not are you ready now. Are you going to improve more in hi school or here. I think it would be a great move for Peterson to reclass. He's my first pick then Riley. I want a reclass. I see no one left that's better than what we already have. Why jam a already crowded rooster.
You need to adjust your settings or something. Hardly anyone can see your posts because the letters are way too light in color.

Only John Wall, Brandon Knight, Anthony Davis, Archie Goodwin, Julius Randle, Jamal Murray, Malik Monk, and Kevin Knox
I'd be interested to see a graph or something showing their actual impact to UK's ability to win games, and their PPG.

He is not Mashburn but he is a very good high school player that could help Kentucky.

Offensively he is very good with many moves and counters in his arsenal.

Since we were talking about Flagg on a different topic, offensively I see him more talented than Flagg. Flagg is a much better defender and higher motor and athleticism , which makes him an overall better and complete player.

Are you a ghost? Is this a message from beyond the grave?

Dave, Riley doesn't remind me at all of Mashburn. They have completely different body types and they play the game differently. Riley is more of a finesse volume shooter. I like his height and ability to face up and create space for his shot. Eventually he'll develop more body control on his drives and maybe a floater at the free throw line.

For a freshman, he's going to be able to get his points. On defense, he'll need some work to be able to hold his own at the 3. I agree that he'd have to work hard to stay on the court with the experience we've got right now at the 2 and the 3.
You are correct about not being same the as mashburn. Jamal had a lot of body fat when he enrolled at U. K. Riley is 6'8 and 174 pounds, so as far as body shape, he's more like prince. Riley has some Dillingham characteristics in that He tries to create and gets out of control. So the tag on riley is he tends to be inconsistent. When he's on he's great. I need to see him more.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Well I believe he will end up overseas. Remember reading an article on him and he spent more time talking about going to Australia

A couple of the "highlights" look like he will be called for traveling.

I’d take Peterson or Jasper as my first choices. I’m not high on Riley either unless he’s patient and takes to coaching to be developed. There is an international player out there somewhere that can help this team. Coach and his staff just needs to uncover him. If not using the scholarship on the first two mentioned I hope we can use our 13th on an international player. In that case at least it’s not costing us any NIL money.

How do you feel about if Wooga was the last one added?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT