ADVERTISEMENT

I'm calling it right now

Next year is when things will come to a head imo. We won’t have anyone close to doing what Reeves is doing, Reed will probably be gone , we won’t have a Dillingham. I believe next season will be substantially worse than this one . It’s going to get bad and maybe ugly.

Nobody is stuck with anybody, that’s BS - if his bosses had any guts, you can make him so miserable with criticism, he will leave
We have the most egotistical arrogant coach in sports. If Mitch and the uk people did that cal would stay just to spite them

Cal's postgame hit and run was so obvious with such a weak excuse I think he really doesn't care anymore.

I'm calling it: Cal's gone after this year.
fingers-crossed-i-hope-so.gif

Next year is when things will come to a head imo. We won’t have anyone close to doing what Reeves is doing, Reed will probably be gone , we won’t have a Dillingham. I believe next season will be substantially worse than this one . It’s going to get bad and maybe ugly.
Gonna be some rock fights lol.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Wouldn't it be ironic if Cal took the UCLA job 5 years after receiving a RIDICULOUS contract because Mitch didn't want to lose Cal to UCLA. And going even further, going to UCLA 10 years after Rex came out and said Cal was gone to AGAIN UCLA.

Wish Mitch would have let him go 5 years ago.
Maybe UCLA will take another shot at Cal for a 3rd time. Not sure Cronin has failed badly enough to dump him yet though. Mitch should have said I will give you a couple million more in 2019 but only incentive based. If that's not good enough for you then see ya. Have to wonder what the last 5 years would have been like if he had left? Who was the hot coach in 2019 that we would have gotten?

Beard before the wife thing? Could we have gotten Jay Wright? Drew was mediocre up to that point. Hurley just signed with UConn the year before. Sampson and Pearl had the baggage. I'm guessing Nate Oats. Would have likely been much better here the last 5 years than with Cal. Probably wouldn't have had the situation with the basketball player here that he did at Alabama.

Everybody knows that Cal won’t volunteer to leave. His ego is way too big to admit he failed. He will bring us to the lowest lows before that happens.
I just hope his ego is the reason he does leave. Doesn't want to go out like he will with the way things have gotten here the last 5 years. Get a fresh start elsewhere and prove he's still got it and try and take a 4th 3rd 2nd school to the F4. Show all of us Bennies we were wrong to want him gone.

Pretty sure CAL is just doing this to destroy the program and tick off BBN because of the backlash he is receiving. He doesn’t want to be here and KY can’t afford to buy him out. He will gladly blame anyone or anything besides himself. I guarantee wherever he lands he will get recruits and make a final 4 if not win another title but it will never be at KY. That ship has sailed.

Cal's postgame hit and run was so obvious with such a weak excuse I think he really doesn't care anymore.

I'm calling it: Cal's gone after this year.
According to the proclamations of many and I assume you to be one of them he never has cared about UK. You guys have said for years he only cares about getting guys to the league and what they do there. He seems to still be succeeding at a high level in that regard. So using your stated thinking on this what makes you think he would want to quit?

Couldn't watch so really can't comment yet on the game. All I know is I looked at my phone and we were up 15. Looked again and down 4. UGH! Buddy said Cal didn't even call a TO to calm the guys. Damn shame we lost like we did. Good block at the end but just couldn't corral the ball. I'm frustrated.

According to the proclamations of many and I assume you to be one of them he never has cared about UK. You guys have said for years he only cares about getting guys to the league and what they do there. He seems to still be succeeding at a high level in that regard. So using your stated thinking on this what makes you think he would want to quit?
You're telling me that Cal is SO arrogant and such a jerk that no matter if the whole state hates him, no matter if he knows he can't win a title here, no matter how much the media rides him and mocks his failures, he will continue to persevere in his current position just for the money? Wow you have an even lower opinion of his character than I do.

• Haha
Pretty sure CAL is just doing this to destroy the program and tick off BBN because of the backlash he is receiving. He doesn’t want to be here and KY can’t afford to buy him out. He will gladly blame anyone or anything besides himself. I guarantee wherever he lands he will get recruits and make a final 4 if not win another title but it will never be at KY. That ship has sailed.
He’s not a good enough coach to win another title.

Couldn't watch so really can't comment yet on the game. All I know is I looked at my phone and we were up 15. Looked again and down 4. UGH! Buddy said Cal didn't even call a TO to calm the guys. Damn shame we lost like we did. Good block at the end but just couldn't corral the ball. I'm frustrated.
That’s because he’s a terrible coach. He just sits and watches leads evaporate and says oh well guys, let’s go try to win this rock fight.

Everybody knows that Cal won’t volunteer to leave. His ego is way too big to admit he failed. He will bring us to the lowest lows before that happens.
His ego is very large , but hopefully so is his level of delusion . He prob thinks things are not that bad . He will succeed in getting another large crop of to the D-league / nba. Hopefully his world comes crashing down and a ton of Old Big Blue Money fires his worthless ass .
Or maybe he wants to go be a " ambassador of the game" in some way , and leaves saying ( to himself ONLY). damn what a great job I did at UK .

Maybe UCLA will take another shot at Cal for a 3rd time. Not sure Cronin has failed badly enough to dump him yet though. Mitch should have said I will give you a couple million more in 2019 but only incentive based. If that's not good enough for you then see ya. Have to wonder what the last 5 years would have been like if he had left? Who was the hot coach in 2019 that we would have gotten?

Beard before the wife thing? Could we have gotten Jay Wright? Drew was mediocre up to that point. Hurley just signed with UConn the year before. Sampson and Pearl had the baggage. I'm guessing Nate Oats. Would have likely been much better here the last 5 years than with Cal. Probably wouldn't have had the situation with the basketball player here that he did at Alabama.
In the last 3 years Cronin has been to two sweet sixteens and one final four. Cal has had ONE ncaa tournament win in that time . Surely they don’t see this version of Cal as an upgrade. Maybe they’re wanting to put more players in the nba though.

In the last 3 years Cronin has been to two sweet sixteens and one final four. Cal has had ONE ncaa tournament win in that time . Surely they don’t see this version of Cal as an upgrade. Maybe they’re wanting to put more players in the nba though.
Some dumbass AD would take him just off his name, but no AD is dumb enough to give him the money and contract like our AD.

Reactions: yoshukai
UCLA or Southern Cal will take a gamble on him, especially if he can land that Dybantsa class, which he will.
He’d love nothing more than going to UCLA. Reality is it would be good for both programs. Cal is dead in the water here and priorities are out of wack. But Cal at UCLA would likely be energized and prioritize winning a title bc his ego would love nothing more than the get one over on Kentucky, show he still “had it”, and do it at the one school who has more titles than we do

After 2012 his “glad that’s over now we can focus on helping these kids” would quickly chance to “let’s go win an Fn title” and he’d put the best team on the floor he could instead of catering to future nba careers over winning immediately

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
Why do you feel that way?
I think he could get ‘fired ‘ , but it’s still likely a couple yrs away before they’d be comfortable financially doing it . A change is likely coming in women’s basketball this March , which is a $2.5 million buyout . I don’t see UK firing Cal and paying total buyouts close to $40 million , (including any assistants with a yr left on their deals) this March

I think he could get ‘fired ‘ , but it’s still likely a couple yrs away before they’d be comfortable financially doing it . A change is likely coming in women’s basketball this March , which is a $2.5 million buyout . I don’t see UK firing Cal and paying total buyouts close to $40 million , (including any assistants with a yr left on their deals) this March
The assistant coaches would not be big buyouts because they would get a job somewhere else that would probably nullify 100% of their buyout. Cal's is paid over the remaining years of his contract at $6.8 million annually. Get a coach for $5 - $6 million and you're compensation for the buyout and new coach would only be about $3 million more annually than what you currently pay Cal. It's VERY doable and not a strain on the athletic department budget. That is all worst case scenario. If Cal got picked up by another university, that would probably make the buyout and new coach contract a total wash for the university.

Thing about this is, Kentucky wouldn't put up with this very long for any other coach they have ever had. Most of our former coaches knew when to get out without things getting really ugly, I think things are getting close to getting really ugly. This lifetime contract for a coach at Kentucky is a foolish thing, if this is the gold standard as Cal says it is, he's not producing the results that are expected here. He himself said the job was a 10 year job at the most after a few seasons here, but he is making too much money to leave voluntarily, something has got to give soon.

OP I hope you are right but I think he will stick around for another year. Wish he would retire today.

Thing about this is, Kentucky wouldn't put up with this very long for any other coach they have ever had. Most of our former coaches knew when to get out without things getting really ugly, I think things are getting close to getting really ugly. This lifetime contract for a coach at Kentucky is a foolish thing, if this is the gold standard as Cal says it is, he's not producing the results that are expected here. He himself said the job was a 10 year job at the most after a few seasons here, but he is making too much money to leave voluntarily, something has got to give soon.
The term "lifetime contract" was stupid. It's a 10 year contract, which isn't absurd. It's the buyout portion of the contract that was absurd.

Reactions: bigbluedon
The assistant coaches would not be big buyouts because they would get a job somewhere else that would probably nullify 100% of their buyout. Cal's is paid over the remaining years of his contract at $6.8 million annually. Get a coach for $5 - $6 million and you're compensation for the buyout and new coach would only be about $3 million more annually than what you currently pay Cal. It's VERY doable and not a strain on the athletic department budget. That is all worst case scenario. If Cal got picked up by another university, that would probably make the buyout and new coach contract a total wash for the university.
Possible . I think a lot depends on this yr . If they make an elite 8 type run …which isn’t completely asinine to think …no way . A first round exit and it’s way more likely

He’d love nothing more than going to UCLA. Reality is it would be good for both programs. Cal is dead in the water here and priorities are out of wack. But Cal at UCLA would likely be energized and prioritize winning a title bc his ego would love nothing more than the get one over on Kentucky, show he still “had it”, and do it at the one school who has more titles than we do

After 2012 his “glad that’s over now we can focus on helping these kids” would quickly chance to “let’s go win an Fn title” and he’d put the best team on the floor he could instead of catering to future nba careers over winning immediately
It took AD and an NBA lockout to get the title in 2012. So UCLA can have him

Possible . I think a lot depends on this yr . If they make an elite 8 type run …which isn’t completely asinine to think …no way . A first round exit and it’s way more likely
Honestly, the worst scenario is getting beat in the Sweet 16. As crazy as this might sound, if I had to choose between a first weekend exit and immense pressure to move on from Cal and a Sweet 16 loss where it can be twisted into some sort of success, give me the first weekend exit.

You're not wrong in that thought process, but I think he despises Cal so much, he would make the move...in fact, I think he does.
I’ve known for a a long time that Cal and Mitch could not stand each other. Chris Woolard told me years ago that they didn’t speak and the one part of his job that he hated was being their “go between “ . I always wondered , why did Mitch give Cal such a ridiculous contract if that was true. It was mentioned and talked about last week on a premium site that Mitch was against giving the contract but the administration forced him to do it . I’d be curious if that is true, cause it makes more sense .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT