ADVERTISEMENT

If you get 1 million in NIL

Me personally? I'd trade half of it for doubling my min. That is to say, I like money, but I wouldn't be happy working that hard and not playing. We've seen guys that are more than happy to just cash a check. Competitors, and guys hungry for real money, will take the minutes. They will bet on themselves.

Reactions: NociHTTP and BBUK
Id guess that depends on the player and their drive to compete and win. A true competitor would want to play and cash the check while I'm sure there are those without the fire that would simply do it for the money (there are plenty of those in professional sports these days, Ben Simmons for one).

I know if I got 1 Mil, had an ankle injury or something like that, have a legit shot at NBA, am going to shut it down till I am 100%. If I have 100 grand in NIL and have that same injury, I am coming back quicker probably 75% to get back out there. 1 Mil makes a big difference when you look at injuries and things like that.

If I am getting 1 mil in NIL and am not playing and deserve to play - yeah I am saying something.

If I am getting 1 mil in NIL and am having a plain awful year, hurting my team while i am out there, then I might just sit on the bench and work on my stuff in practice and then try out for NBA.

All depends on situation.

Take Richard "Master Blaster" Madison (still one of the nicest guys I ever met), Played here. He would have gotten huge NIL money (one of the big names in High school Basketball / Baseball (90 MPH fastball in high school). Played both at UK, He would have gotten tons, he would have been a NIL bust in Basketball but I think he did OK in baseball (not sure as most of us did not follow UK baseball back then).

He had 3 or 4 games where you thought he is going to be the man. But that was it 3 or 4 games was all we got. Not sure if it was the system or just him. If portal was around I think he would have moved on to someone like UT / Ole Miss.

Another question

Would you be mad if you made 150k in NIL, while simultaneously being the best player on your team, and then watching some babified dirty diaper Freshman show up with 1 foot already out the door, get 500k to absolutely suck?

If you're not contributing the NIL is going to dry up quickly. Best to work hard and make sure you're playing.

If you are a competitor, you'd rather have the minutes. Of course, getting both is optimal.
Also NIL is short-term $.
But minutes can increase your chances to much larger amount of long-term $, or even more NIL the following season (for those who have not much chance at NBA).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT