ADVERTISEMENT

If you could have watched any historic sporting event when it happened

My original thought was Secretariat in the Belmont. But, as others have said, Miracle on Ice in 1980 was so electric, I think it's the correct answer. Everything lined up to make that such an important event. Great question.

I just watched the 1975 regional game where Ky beat Indiana. What a surprise at the end of the game RMK refused to shake hands with Joe B. Maybe that's where his hate for Kentucky began.

The 1936 Olympics

Specifically the opening ceremony when the US flag bearer refused to dip our flag to hitler.

Reactions: domino79
The 1936 Olympics

Specifically the opening ceremony when the US flag bearer refused to dip our flag to hitler.
Is that true ? If so it would have been incredible foresight on the flag bearers part when you consider Hitler had not invaded a single country at that point and was named Time magazines man of the year in 1938 . Germany didn't invade any country until September 1 1939 in Poland .

Reactions: -LEK-
I'd probably follow all 4 rounds of Tiger's 15 stroke win at Pebble in the US Open. I'd like to see what perfect golf looks like in person.
Would rather follow Jack for his last major win at The Masters or maybe Snead or Hogan for one of their Majors.

Is that true ? If so it would have been incredible foresight on the flag bearers part when you consider Hitler had not invaded a single country at that point and was named Time magazines man of the year in 1938 . Germany didn't invade any country until September 1 1939 in Poland .
He was well into he venomous leadership by 1936. He'd even initially said that Jewish and black athletes could not compete (though he was overruled). Prior to the Olympics there was a lot of anti-hitler sentiment....even discussion of boycotting. The Berlin olympics was seen by many as a platform for hitler's "program". 1936 was not the first time our bearers had refused to dip the flag, but in olypiads leading up to 1936, it had been dipped ..... hasn't happened since

Last edited:
Mathew Mitchell and the BBN Band open up the 125mil newly renovated SEC caliber Commonwealth Football Stadium, ftmfw.

Any nude man-on-man Greco-Roman wrestling event back in the day before trimming was fashionable.

Super Bowl XIII. Steelers vs Cowboys at the peak of their dynasties in the 70's. If my count is correct there were 13 Hall of Famers on the field plus HOF coaches on both sidelines. For those who love football, I don't know if it could get much better!

I like old school boxing so either Ali Frazier, Ali Foreman, Hagler Herns, maybe Tyson Douglas. Because of the shock value of him losing.

I like old school boxing so either Ali Frazier, Ali Foreman, Hagler Herns, maybe Tyson Douglas. Because of the shock value of him losing.

How about Joe Louis v. Max Schmeling at Yankee Stadium in 1938? My dad was nine when that happened and remembers it as being one of the most hyped sporting events ever. Louis lost the first time, and Hitler proclaimed Schmeling as one of the Super Race. Ugh . . . two minutes after the opening bell, they unplugged the radio broadcast in Germany claiming technical difficulties.

I hate hockey, so no Miracle on Ice for me..

I would love to see any of the Triple Crown races with Secretariat.

As far as "moments", I would have loved to seen Carlton Fisk waving the ball fair in the '75 WS, the Kirk Gibson HR, the Willie Mays catch....I'm a baseball guy at heart. I'm sure I'll think of a few other plays after submitting this.

Kind of surprised regarding Jesse Owens. Yeah, that was historically significant, but the event would have been over before you knew it.

Put me down for the 2012 NCAA championship where we won. And yeah, I was there, but it would have been number 1 anyway. Anthony Davis on a super team winning the championship? Yeah buddy.

Following Nicklaus' back 9 in the 1986 Masters.
Game 6, 2011 World Series in StL.
1998 Kentucky vs Duke.

Not a big Tiger guy, but man it would have been something to witness his first Masters title. Also the chip shot on 16 in 2005. That would have been insane to be on that hole!

Being in Rio de Janeiro whenever Brazil wins the World Cup has got to be high on the list.

maxresdefault.jpg

Miracle on Ice.....I remember watching it on tv and it was an amazing experience. I can only imagine what it was like in the arena. The soviets beat us like 45-0 like 3 weeks earlier.

Not a big Tiger guy, but man it would have been something to witness his first Masters title. Also the chip shot on 16 in 2005. That would have been insane to be on that hole!

Was fortunate enough to be on the 16th green for this one...Loudest roar I've ever heard on a golf course

Reactions: ctharris07
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT