ADVERTISEMENT

If we had a smart coach

LmdCat

All-American
Jan 8, 2006
He would pull Z from under the basket so that he can play facing it. This would be ideal when he is playing two 7-footers at the same time. This would force the opponent to pull one of their bigs from under the basket to guard Z because of his shooting ability from behind the arch. It would reduce the number of rebounders for our opponents and help Kentucky because our guards are better rebounders than our bigs. This will never happen because our nameless coach doesn't have a clue how to implement an offense of this type. It is simply a waste of good talent to have someone with Z's shooting touch and passing skills stuck under the basket where he is either lost or simply getting pushed around.

Last edited:
He would pull Z from under the basket so that he can play facing it. This would be ideal when he is playing two 7-footers at the same time. This would force the opponent to pull one of their bigs from under the basket to guard Z because of his shooting ability from behind the arch. It would reduce the number of rebounders for our opponents and help Kentucky because our guards are better rebounders than our bigs. This will never happen because our nameless coach doesn't have a clue how to implement an offense of this type. It is simply a waste of good talent to have someone with Z's shooting touch and passing skills stuck under the basket where is either lost or simply getting pushed around.
I think, for where he is in his understanding of playing in the paint, that is the only way you can play him.

I think, for where he is in his understanding of playing in the paint, that is the only way you can play him.
There is nothing too difficult about our offense that Z couldn't understand it. If you understand playground basketball, you understand our offense.

He would pull Z from under the basket so that he can play facing it. This would be ideal when he is playing two 7-footers at the same time. This would force the opponent to pull one of their bigs from under the basket to guard Z because of his shooting ability from behind the arch. It would reduce the number of rebounders for our opponents and help Kentucky because our guards are better rebounders than our bigs. This will never happen because our nameless coach doesn't have a clue how to implement an offense of this type. It is simply a waste of good talent to have someone with Z's shooting touch and passing skills stuck under the basket where is either lost or simply getting pushed around.
Cal always pigeon holes his big men in the paint, look at what he did with Skal, who had much better success in the NBA.

Agree, except we don’t need two bigs in the lineup at the same time.
If we would use a zone when they were on the court together, it would be ideal. We would have a big outside to draw one of the opponents' bigs from under the basket and we would have one under the basket for trying to rebound.

Reactions: CatPhight
Getting the bigs made us worse
Clogging the lane with them and refusing to ever show zone with slow footed and soft players who can't/won't fight thru screens is the under lying issue.

A grade school coach now knows to either run the vanilla pick & roll or just force switches with good ball movement until the mismatch appears, like Ugo on a guard or Dilly on a 6' 9" SF.

Rinse and repeat...

Last edited:
Gonzaga had 68 field goals
Kentucky had 61

what fool would coach this team and allow the other team to have more field goal attempts? ? !!! Pitino understands metrics and analytics. Run that other team in the dirt. I want pressing all over the court and speed these teams up. In turn would make our defensive numbers look better as well. Calipari allows the other coach to always dictate the tempo and pace. we got 8 guys who can play minutes at a decent level. NO OTHER TEAM in the country has our depth and offensive potential. This dumb mother trucker can get through his thick skull we need more field goal attempts than the other team. we got athletes to press and speed up these garbage teams instead we play at their pace. Not being racial but I see the zags with a bunch of white mediocre athletes Id run them out the gym. Id press them every single second, create turn overs and easy opportunities.. would of beat the zags by 15.

Tennessee had 74 attempts
Kentucky 69 ( we also shot percentage wise better)

Florida and Kentucky ( loss) both at 78 attempts

we only had two more shot attempts vs south Carolina

North Carolina had 57 attempts
Kentucky 72 ( we shot it worse but with so many more attempts.... )

vs Kansas we had way more attempts that kept us in the game Ku was just way more efficient. Ill give cal a pass considering we had a bunch of freshman at 21 feet rim protection on the bench.

numbers dont lie. We get over 20 assists a game and give me 10 plus more possessions a game and we are the number one team in the country.

the truly elite coaches play to their teams strengths. Calipari just likes playing at the others team pace way to often for comfort this year.

A TEAM WHO CAN FINALLY SHOOT... give me more possessions, thats a start to successful season.

Reactions: LmdCat
Gonzaga had 68 field goals
Kentucky had 61

what fool would coach this team and allow the other team to have more field goal attempts? ? !!! Pitino understands metrics and analytics. Run that other team in the dirt. I want pressing all over the court and speed these teams up. In turn would make our defensive numbers look better as well. Calipari allows the other coach to always dictate the tempo and pace. we got 8 guys who can play minutes at a decent level. NO OTHER TEAM in the country has our depth and offensive potential. This dumb mother trucker can get through his thick skull we need more field goal attempts than the other team. we got athletes to press and speed up these garbage teams instead we play at their pace. Not being racial but I see the zags with a bunch of white mediocre athletes Id run them out the gym. Id press them every single second, create turn overs and easy opportunities.. would of beat the zags by 15.

Tennessee had 74 attempts
Kentucky 69 ( we also shot percentage wise better)

Florida and Kentucky ( loss) both at 78 attempts

we only had two more shot attempts vs south Carolina

North Carolina had 57 attempts
Kentucky 72 ( we shot it worse but with so many more attempts.... )

vs Kansas we had way more attempts that kept us in the game Ku was just way more efficient. Ill give cal a pass considering we had a bunch of freshman at 21 feet rim protection on the bench.

numbers dont lie. We get over 20 assists a game and give me 10 plus more possessions a game and we are the number one team in the country.

the truly elite coaches play to their teams strengths. Calipari just likes playing at the others team pace way to often for comfort this year.

A TEAM WHO CAN FINALLY SHOOT... give me more possessions, thats a start to successful season.
Nobody presses anymore. Surely, if you are good enough to press the entire court … you should be good enough to effectively press (play defense) in the half court. Hell, you only have to do it for about 20-25 seconds per possession. We simply cannot do it. Too many defensive breakdowns.

We have a team full of incomplete players that simply cannot play on both ends of the court. It kills us !!

Nobody presses anymore. Surely, if you are good enough to press the entire court … you should be good enough to effectively press (play defense) in the half court. Hell, you only have to do it for about 20-25 seconds per possession. We simply cannot do it. Too many defensive breakdowns.
bill self who i hate as person but respect immensely as a coach - his best shooting teams. He would constantly speed the other team up when they wanted to slow things down. Doesn't have to be a full court press. Also, when kansas doesnt has a great night shooting or a great shooting team and hes up against a difficult team aka UK (ulis murray skal year) will switch to zone when he doesn't have athletes that can defend. bill self with this team would be better offensively (thats scary) and way better defensively. Hed also make sure he had more attempts than the other team EVERY GAME. See Mark few understood this when they lost the lead in the second half. Then he countered calipari's adjustments and cal sat there with a thumb up his azz.
when bill self teams dont have the lead after half time. He makes adjustments and they DONT lose the lead. What calipari is missing to be considered an absolutely elite coach.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT