ADVERTISEMENT

If Pope beats Duke at Champions classic

There will be so much age difference I expect us to win because all of our older guys can play. Not to mention all positions are double covered with quality and we have three of the best defenders in all of college basketball. IMO we would have to shoot a pretty low percentage to lose. And that could happen with it being so early.

My concern is this team peaking too early because of how old it is. We usually see younger teams like Duke take their lumps early. But then round into form come March. With an older team it could be the opposite.

And Duke doesn't really follow the Calipari OnD model. New team every year. They retain fringe guys for the most part.

My concern is this team peaking too early because of how old it is. We usually see younger teams like Duke take their lumps early. But then round into form come March. With an older team it could be the opposite.

And Duke doesn't really follow the Calipari OnD model. New team every year. They retain fringe guys for the most part.
Fair thought. My counter argument would be, we are only going to have practices and scrimmages before we play Duke. A couple exhibition games as well.

I would be very surprised if a team full of new players, even older ones, are playing better together at the beginning of the seasons instead of 30 games into it.

Duke will be favored but I like our portal guys more than theirs. We have a more balanced roster too. I think Cooper Flagg is good, but is he the best freshman since Zion like some are saying?

Reactions: TM2013

We usually see younger teams shit their pants during March, usually.

Fair thought. My counter argument would be, we are only going to have practices and scrimmages before we play Duke. A couple exhibition games as well.

I would be very surprised if a team full of new players, even older ones, are playing better together at the beginning of the seasons instead of 30 games into it.
It more so has to do with potential. With the younger teams the younger players get better and better. Usually, as the season goes on. Older players are what you see is what you get.

I do think we beat Duke. Simply because we will be so damn old and experienced.

But I don't like how a rematch would go in March or Feb.

Duke will be favored but I like our portal guys more than theirs. We have a more balanced roster too. I think Cooper Flagg is good, but is he the best freshman since Zion like some are saying?
Hes supposed to be the next generational talent, better than zion. Drawing comparisons to KD.

• Haha
Reactions: RunninRichie
It more so has to do with potential. With the younger teams the younger players get better and better. Usually, as the season goes on. Older players are what you see is what you get.

I do think we beat Duke. Simply because we will be so damn old and experienced.

But I don't like how a rematch would go in March or Feb.

"So damn old".

What a dumb take. But considering the source, no surprise. IF Duke beats us, you'll be one the the first to post negativty like always.

• Haha
Reactions: RunninRichie
"So damn old".

What a dumb take. But considering the source, no surprise. IF Duke beats us, you'll be one the the first to post negativty like always.
ZWxheC5naWY.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
Let’s just hope Flagg doesn’t go all Zion / Barrett on us.. I feel like we have the bodies to guard him..

"We're too young"
"Were too old"
"We should have hired Oats because I said so!"
"What's Barnhart's phone number??! How dare he hire Pope!!"

Runnin' Clown show
When did I say we are too old? I said so damn old in a good way. As it relates to taking on Duke’s freshmen. Get some reading comprehension, baller.

Remember when you posted each time Cal made the “miserable” look stupid?

Then when he left, overnight you started acting like you always saw through him?

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
You rent that cherry picker or own it? 12-11 all time.

It's a common tactic with Duke fans. Claim dominance over an arbitrary ''era''. Uconn fans do it too.
To Duke fans basketball started when Coach K was hired. To Uconn fans it started when Calhoun was hired.
Better watch it they will accuse you of living in the past…. That’s all these fans of these other schools do… That’s what makes us who we are is the whole body of work!!!!

Duke will be stacked with young talent, but in game 1 our grown men team could very much beat them on experience alone. Weve seen frosh loaded teams sink early for a long time now.
Freshman loaded teams have sank as of late in the tournament too!

There's about a 96% chance we won't win a title every single year. 4% that we'll win one.

Imagine being so pathetic as to just take the 96% and permantly complain. What a wimpy way to go.

Is this accurate? So, the Skal team and the Shot heard round the Bluegrass are the only wins?
Yup. Only Tubby and Cal have beaten Duke since Hall did in 1978.

Only Rupp has a winning Record over Duke.

7 of our 11 loses to Duke, tbf, have come at the hands of the Rat.

Maner 0-1
Rupp is 9-1
Hall is 1-2
Sutton 0-1
Rick 0-1
Tubby 1-2
BCG 0-0
Cal 1-3

Total: 12-11

If it weren't for Cal, we'd be behind to Duke, BUT he also pissed away 3 games to them as well. Wild to think if we don't beat them in 1998 and 2015 we'd have not won a game to them in nearly 45 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: H00SIER-Cat

If they would have kept Roach and Mark Mitchell I would say yeah but only retaining 2 players they have a lot to adjust too as well, that transfer they got last will help them immensely but I think we have a good chance.

Based on 1 game? That’s weak. It’s a long season and I still don’t get why it’s a make or break game. 🤷‍♂️
With the experience on the floor, we shouldn't get steamrolled. I'm talking by 18+

If we lose by 7-10, I agree. Long season. Losing by 18+ is not how you want to start a new era.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT