ADVERTISEMENT

If Pope beats Duke at Champions classic

Rupp owned Duke 9-1. We lead head to head and every major category against them.

NO way Duke will be better next year then they were in the Zion year. First off they still had coach K, Zion was the #1 pick, Barrett was ranked #1 in his original class then ranked #1 in his reclass class, Reddish was ranked #3 and Jones was also top 10 for sure a high 5 star. Team didn't even make the final 4 they aren't making it next year either. Uk gets the early season win over them with the experience factor vs youth factor.

"We're too young"
"Were too old"
"We should have hired Oats because I said so!"
"What's Barnhart's phone number??! How dare he hire Pope!!"

Runnin' Clown show

We have been too young. You can't be too old. Old teams faired very well last year. Gimme a big helping of the shit. Oats would have done well here, and Pope probably will too.

Oy…THESE guys…
Why didn’t someone say something??
All the belly aching over the years about mercenaries and now a some want us to be scared of Duke in March with a team full of 22 year olds. You just can’t make it up.

When someone turns every single UK situation into a bad one, they are clearly trolling. #FairWeatherCasualFan just clowning around for attention.

Last edited:
Yup. Only Tubby and Cal have beaten Duke since Hall did in 1978.

Only Rupp has a winning Record over Duke.

7 of our 11 loses to Duke, tbf, have come at the hands of the Rat.

Maner 0-1
Rupp is 9-1
Hall is 1-2
Sutton 0-1
Rick 0-1
Tubby 1-2
BCG 0-0
Cal 1-3

Total: 12-11

If it weren't for Cal, we'd be behind to Duke, BUT he also pissed away 3 games to them as well. Wild to think if we don't beat them in 1998 and 2015 we'd have not won a game to them in nearly 45 years.
Interesting take. When I look at that, I see Cal is the reason we're behind Duke.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
#1 - We're not behind Duke, its 12-11 in UK's favor.
#2 - How in the world is Cal's 1-3 responsible for any more, or less, than 3 losses of the 11?

Blame Cal for a lot of things, but not everything.

#1 - We're not behind Duke, its 12-11 in UK's favor.
#2 - How in the world is Cal's 1-3 responsible for any more, or less, than 3 losses of the 11?

Blame Cal for a lot of things, but not everything.

Yeah, he just played them more. Cal is not to blame for all of UKs problems.

I'm surprised some of our fans haven't petitioned to have UK vacate its 8th title and last 4 final fours just because cal was coach.

I'm glad he's gone and he should have left in 2019 as he sucked after that but people on here have an unhealthy mindset.

We have been too young. You can't be too old. Old teams faired very well last year. Gimme a big helping of the shit. Oats would have done well here, and Pope probably will too.
Agree on you can't be tod old. But that wasn't my point. Runninclownie says we're too young over and over last year (in March he said he wasn't intersted in next year and being young again) and then stupidly says we're too damn old and Duke scares him in March. He plays it evey which way that allows him to stoke fear. He is not a serious UK fan. Maybe a casual one, but he'd rather play this place like a video game and scare people than enjoy the wins. His posts prove it.

twerp
/twərp/
noun

a silly or annoying person.

Last edited:
Beating the Dukes, UNC and Kansas teams of the world would go a long way in showing recruits that UK still is THAT program.

Think Cal getting his a** stomped almost yearly for a while now did us a number when it came to top recruits.
He turned us into the sloppiest bukkake girl in the NCAA, while everybody was like hey he's great for UK. Yeah sorry everybody but that clown is at a different circus now

My concern is this team peaking too early because of how old it is. We usually see younger teams like Duke take their lumps early. But then round into form come March. With an older team it could be the opposite.

And Duke doesn't really follow the Calipari OnD model. New team every year. They retain fringe guys for the most part.
Pope’s offensive system is literally too complicated for us to peak early. This is one worry you can scratch off your list.

Until we lose our first game. Then they'll be dancing around pining for whoever the flavor of the week is at that time.
I don't think so. I think you're equating how we were with Cal towards the end with how we will be with Pope at the beginning. UK fans are actually pretty reasonable with losses as long as the team plays hard and we believe in the coach to improve them. We gave Cal a lot of grief his last few years because he would lose games to much more inferior teams, and didn't even care. Winning wasn't a priority and that's why we got tired of him. We know Pope wants to win and will do everything he can to do so. Except for a very small and extreme portion of the fan base, BBN will have patience with Pope.

I don't think so. I think you're equating how we were with Cal towards the end with how we will be with Pope at the beginning. UK fans are actually pretty reasonable with losses as long as the team plays hard and we believe in the coach to improve them. We gave Cal a lot of grief his last few years because he would lose games to much more inferior teams, and didn't even care. Winning wasn't a priority and that's why we got tired of him. We know Pope wants to win and will do everything he can to do so. Except for a very small and extreme portion of the fan base, BBN will have patience with Pope.

Well he was talking about "the mob" and I was referring to the Legion of Dorks. No coach is safe with that miseable group. They'll be more quite than usual for a while, though. I give you that. But there are also a bunch of clowns on here that wanted Oats, etc. that won't shut up if we struggle next year and Oats, etc. don't.

Reactions: Phil_The_Music
Let’s look at the roster Duke will likely have the following starters

1 Proctor -Jr (who was injured last year, potential lottery pick if healthy)

2 Foster - SO ( five star prospect, that was playing well before breaking his ankle late last year)

3/4 Cooper - Fr (we all have heard the rumors)

4 Giles/Brown (grad student who can shoot and stretch the floor, or Jr all ACC defender last year)

5 Maluach Fr (five star center)

Off the bench they will be bring one of brown or Giles plus the following: EvansFr (five star scoring wing), Sion James Sr (grad transfer pg that tested the draft process), Harris (four star SG), Kon (five star wing), and Ngongba (five star center coming off an injury)

The narrative that this Duke team is extremely young is not necessarily correct. They will more than likely only start two freshmen and their first two off the bench could be a grad transfer and Jr forward/guard. Their team is very long and athletic, Uk will need to keep them in front of them and not allow this Duke team to get to the rim.

In these first few early games, so often the game turns into pick up basketball, where someone goes and make a play. In those aspects, often time the better athlete wins, which we have seen in the past when Duke plays UK in the classic. I think Pope will bring more of a system for the first game, and will adjust when needed (maybe play a zone) but I’m still not sure it’ll be enough to overcome the talent and length that Duke will bring. I suspect this game to be very competitive to say the least, looking forward to seeing what the line will be, I’m sure UK will be the dog come game day, could be a solid bet with the points.

Duke just released video of the great Flagg dribbling and shooting in practice. They said the most impressive thing was his two handed dunks. So look out. Also said he is projected to be the #1 draft pick after one year and ACC freshman of the year. Sounds like it would take the best defensive player of all time to contain him.

How about the opposite. What if Duke kills us? Will everyone stay on board? I will.
I actually could stomach the thought just to read and listen to overreactions. It could even be a week when Arkansas beat the hell out of something like Stoney Brook.

All is fine now, but bumps happen. Make no mistake we have the worst/best fanbase in the country excluding Alabama football.

I’ve gotten old enough to enjoy the comedy and theatre of it all. This season will be great and awful. Im very happy for Mark and the program. Much happier than with Cal, but it will be fun awful at certain points while the team develops.

I actually could stomach the thought just to read and listen to overreactions. It could even be a week when Arkansas beat the hell out of something like Stoney Brook.

All is fine now, but bumps happen. Make no mistake we have the worst/best fanbase in the country excluding Alabama football.

I’ve gotten old enough to enjoy the comedy and theatre of it all. This season will be great and awful. Im very happy for Mark and the program. Much happier than with Cal, but it will be fun awful at certain points while the team develops.

You definitely gotten old enough amirite?

I think the majority of the fan base is probably made up of some of the most level headed, down to earth, easy going, passively tried and true people of any sports team anywhere. I mean seriously look what we allowed Calipari to do here man, what major blue blood or major program with donors and alumni who’ve seen what we have allow a guy like that northeastern liar come in and dismantle traditions? We gave him every inch we could take but he just wanted it deeper and deeper. Alabama football, Cardinals baseball, even the Yankees would have never allowed it. We allowed it because we were open to that kind of change and we’re trusting. The guy completely abused it.

The fanbase has been through hell and I will
never get over the way we lost some older Kentuckians who’s last thoughts were of that jagoff on the sideline. Im glad my grandad died in 2006 and never had to see 2 men in particular come to power.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT