ADVERTISEMENT

If Kentucky was to win the Championship

If he gets a second title, he’s the clear #2 for me. He might be there right now for some, but a second title takes away the debate between Pitino.

No one is passing Rupp barring a dynasty type run, which isn’t happening in the current landscape.

Be thankful Kentucky is put into the conversation almost every season as title contenders. It’s hard to win a title, but Cals accomplishments in the tournament speaks for itself…..

That should be the goal......to be in the conversation as much as possible but is this really all that accurate past few years?

I'd say we were in that conversation in 2017, in 2019......and in 2022.

Outside of those years in previous history it's hard to argue we have been in the conversation tho.

Reactions: KFuqua
I'd love to hear what criteria you used to put him ahead of Pitino. Unless you just hate Pitino for going to UL, which is a valid reason.

4 final fours, a title, 77% winning percentage.

People forget Cal’s UMass team beat the 1996 Cats, Cal routinely beat Pitino when he was at UL, and Cal is the sole reaaon that Pitino decided to hire prostitutes for underage kids in attempt to keep up with UK. Cal is the better coach in every single facet in my opinion.

Without hypotheticals, there’s no case to be made for Pitino at #2.

That should be the goal......to be in the conversation as much as possible but is this really all that accurate past few years?

I'd say we were in that conversation in 2017, in 2019......and in 2022.

Outside of those years in previous history it's hard to argue we have been in the conversation tho.
"In conversation" in 10, 11, 12, 14, 15, 17, 19, 20, 22, 24 -- barring injuries-related collapse. Some will dispute 11 and 14...If you go to the Final Four or better, you are "in the conversation." Some will dispute 22. Clearly the best team in the country after dismantling UNCheats, Kansas at Kansas and top ranked Tennessee. Derailed by injuries.

Last edited:
"In conversation" in 10, 11, 12, 14, 15, 17, 19, 20, 22, 23 -- barring injuries related collapse. Some will dispute 11 and 14...If you go to the Final Four or better, you are "in the conversation." Some will dispute 22. Clearly the best team in the country after dismantling UNCheats, Kansas at Kansas and top ranked Tennessee. Derailed by injuries.

I agree about all years except for 22.

I was mainly meaning post 15. We are batting around 50% post 15. That seems to be what people that dislike Cal argue about.

I realize this......and I like Cal lol. It does need to get better.

"In conversation" in 10, 11, 12, 14, 15, 17, 19, 20, 22, 23 -- barring injuries related collapse. Some will dispute 11 and 14...If you go to the Final Four or better, you are "in the conversation." Some will dispute 22. Clearly the best team in the country after dismantling UNCheats, Kansas at Kansas and top ranked Tennessee. Derailed by injuries.
I can see an argument for all those year except 23. At no point was that team in the conversation for anything.

Let’s say Kentucky ends up cutting the nets down in early April, where would Cal be on the all time coaches list at Kentucky? Would you put him first?
One day at a time and cals track record in the post season have huge let downs with them considering our talent opposed to the other teams talent he regularly lose too enjoy the moment with cal because in the end we all know it comes back to bite you in the ass

Reactions: KFuqua
I don't like the OAD... but 90% here loved Cal when the OAD worked and we got our championship... Then it didn't work, the players changed... they were not playing the same in tourney as in season. "People got in their ears" and that got in their heads. Cal IMO has only 2 real clunkers of a season. We got robbed by HIggins.
It is time for Cal to move on, but if HIggins didn't screw us... everything would be different

4 final fours, a title, 77% winning percentage.

People forget Cal’s UMass team beat the 1996 Cats, Cal routinely beat Pitino when he was at UL, and Cal is the sole reaaon that Pitino decided to hire prostitutes for underage kids in attempt to keep up with UK. Cal is the better coach in every single facet in my opinion.

Without hypotheticals, there’s no case to be made for Pitino at #2.
They beat them in the first or second game of the season when Rick had not settled on a lineup yet. Pitino beat Cal when it mattered and that was in the final 4. Cal has been here twice as long as Rick was and still hasn’t won the second title with all of the talent he has had. The UK name is worth a bunch of wins each season regardless of who the coach is. You will get better talent at UK vs same person coaching elsewhere. So best and final is still Pitino is a much better game coach than Cal could ever hope to be.

He would be 2nd and it wouldn't be debatable. He would have the 2nd most titles and 2nd most final fours, just 1 final four behind Rupp.

The chances of Cal winning a 2nd title are none and noner though IMO.
Well, you’re probably right we don’t win the title because odds are that any given team has less probable odds. However, we are like 4th or 5th in Vegas for winning the title. So to say there is no chance is obviously wrong. Why even play?

That would make Cal a big #2.

giphy.gif

Reactions: jrpross
The chances of Cal winning a 2nd title are none and noner though IMO.
I have no clue how anyone can definitively say this given what we've seen from this team this year. The team is great with an incredibly high ceiling.

The chances of any given team winning a title is always incredibly slim. The number 1 overall seed wins the tournament less than 20% of the time I believe and even a juggernaut like our 2015 team had about a 25% chance of winning it when the tournament started. So of course the chance we win it all this year is small, but it's small for every single team. But there's nothing about the season so far that points to us being incapable of winning it.

Reactions: grevey35
To answer the OP, it would put him as #2 behind Rupp. That said:
  • As a game coach, Pitino >>>>>>>>> Cal. Not even close.
  • As a recruiter, Cal >> Pitino.
  • As a person? You decide.

They beat them in the first or second game of the season when Rick had not settled on a lineup yet. Pitino beat Cal when it mattered and that was in the final 4. Cal has been here twice as long as Rick was and still hasn’t won the second title with all of the talent he has had. The UK name is worth a bunch of wins each season regardless of who the coach is. You will get better talent at UK vs same person coaching elsewhere. So best and final is still Pitino is a much better game coach than Cal could ever hope to be.

Cal has beat Pitino in the final four as well.

Pitino is a better in game coach than Cal? Not hardly. Cal took Pitino to school pretty regularly the last 15 years, where you been?

Pitino is a better in game coach than Cal? Not hardly. Cal took Pitino to school pretty regularly the last 15 years, where you been?
While true, my aging eyes had this fan feeling a lot more confident when Pitino was patrolling the UK sidelines than I do with Cal. And I'm generally a Cal fan, but Pitino was an exceptional in game coach. Give Cal's talent to Pitino and...wow.

Last edited:

Around probably a lot longer than you. Read what I said about coaching at Ky. Plus the fact that the school we play might not have the talent of UK and sometimes the coach can’t overcome that. See Rick at UL. Pay attention.

I'd love to hear what criteria you used to put him ahead of Pitino. Unless you just hate Pitino for going to UL, which is a valid reason.
I’m right there too.

He’s number 2 and will always be. Never passing Rupp.

As for Pitino, Cal is simply a better coach.

I would place Joe B ahead of Pitino too.

• Haha
Reactions: STL_Cat and jrpross
I have no clue how anyone can definitively say this given what we've seen from this team this year. The team is great with an incredibly high ceiling.

The chances of any given team winning a title is always incredibly slim. The number 1 overall seed wins the tournament less than 20% of the time I believe and even a juggernaut like our 2015 team had about a 25% chance of winning it when the tournament started. So of course the chance we win it all this year is small, but it's small for every single team. But there's nothing about the season so far that points to us being incapable of winning it.

It's called hyperbole. I know the percentages are greater than 0.

I'm not sure I'd call this a great team either. They have potential and showed it against Miami, KU and UNC. Terrible loss to uncw and were fortunate not to lpse to st Joe's and Florida as well.

If we had Billy donovan or pitino or some other coaches as head coach I'd feel better about chances. Calipari has failed with stacked and more experienced rosters here before. I don't hate cal like some do but it is what it is.

and yeah it's tough to win a title but uconn has 5 last 25 years and unc has 3 last 19 years and Duke has won 3 last 23. Ku has 2 in the past 16 and nova has won 2 this century. I think if cal had a 2nd title he would shut us all up.

Reactions: bigbluelou
To answer the OP, it would put him as #2 behind Rupp. That said:
  • As a game coach, Pitino >>>>>>>>> Cal. Not even close.
  • As a recruiter, Cal >> Pitino.
  • As a person? You decide.
Pitino is the worst X and O guy we ever had here.

Whatever in game coaching means Pitino never had it.

If you could stay close to a Pitino team you beat him.

Pitino’s greatness was not letting them get close.

Great motivator. Great individual instruction. Great preparation. Probably the best ever at studying the opponents and taking away what they want to do.

But a plan B when plan A wasn’t working? Never!!

• Haha
Reactions: STL_Cat and G-PIP
Win another title and he is #2.

Somehow win two more and it becomes a really interesting conversation about another topic.

So many ifs and buts....but if he could have closed deal in '10, '14, '15, '17, '19...even just one more time this season would have people thinking he could do down as best to ever do it here.

I have 100% respect for our history and tradition but winning a title since desegregation and the tourney expansion holds way more weight now than 70 years ago....it just does.

I say we get Aike to put together a system of "weights" that factor in different, and easily comparable, tangibles. Such as total wins, recruiting numbers, conference titles, NCAA titles, Final Fours, and so on. Right now in my mind getting title #2 would put him second all-time at UK, but he would still be behind Pitino in areas like getting the most out of your talent, coming from behind, putting opponents away, things like that.

I say we get Aike to put together a system of "weights" that factor in different, and easily comparable, tangibles. Such as total wins, recruiting numbers, conference titles, NCAA titles, Final Fours, and so on. Right now in my mind getting title #2 would put him second all-time at UK, but he would still be behind Pitino in areas like getting the most out of your talent, coming from behind, putting opponents away, things like that.

He would definitely be behind Pitino in coming from behind.

Pitino is the worst X and O guy we ever had here.

Whatever in game coaching means Pitino never had it.

If you could stay close to a Pitino team you beat him.

Pitino’s greatness was not letting them get close.

Great motivator. Great individual instruction. Great preparation. Probably the best ever at studying the opponents and taking away what they want to do.

But a plan B when plan A wasn’t working? Never!!
Okay...agree to disagree.

Second to Rupp and nobody else.

With that said, I think there is a better chance of me winning my first title at UK than Calipari winning his second. Really hope I am wrong though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT