ADVERTISEMENT

If it's to dangerous for the fans. What about the players

So tell me why I'm ignorant and should be living in fear.
Who said you should be living in fear, that's absurd. If you'd pay attention to what the real experts are saying about covid-19 and the flu, covid-19 can be contained and the flu cannot. While many more may die from flu, primarily because of more widespread infection, the mortality rate of covid-19 is many times higher than the flu but even more to the point, both critical illness and death is common among the old and sick. That is what we are trying to avoid because it is avoidable. Therefore, they are taking steps with covid-19 that they would never bother trying with the flu. It's pretty simple.

Reactions: GonzoCat90
Read Gonzocat's post for a little idea. There is little known about this virus yet and no way to help eliminate it like a flu vaccine at this time. I agree we shouldn't panic but it should be taken seriously.

The flu vaccine hasn't eliminated influenza and it continues to kill tens of thousands of Americans yearly. Yet we don't freak out and stop living our lives. But you are right, that CV is a novel virus with little known about it, and we should use common sense measures. I'm just not sure the overreaction I'm watching is justified. Keep in mind a lot of these hypotheticals and R0 (R naught) numbers are being derived from the Wuhan Province numbers which won't be reflected in modernized western nations with better healthcare, better sanitation, and nowhere near the same population density(with the exceptions of places like NYC etc).

The Coronavirus scares me less than witnessing how people are so easily manipulated by the msm, social media and "popular sentiment."

Influenza has killed an estimated 8200 people in the US ytd.
(and this is with a vaccines of the estimated predominant strains)
https://thehill.com/changing-americ...s-sparks-panic-as-flu-poses-greater-threat-to

The Coronavirus has killed an estimated 22 people in the US in totality.
(and this is with no vaccines)
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Use some common sense, but I'm not sure why we are supposed to pretend the this is the Zombie Apocalypse.
Time will tell. This is only the beginning scene in zombie apocalypse movies when the television sets are still working. We have a ways to go before declaring this a nothing burger. If you think the stock market investors are freaking just from watching too much MSNBC, you may need to be watching a little less Fox news yourself.
This is not a typical flu. It's not that it kills on contact, but that it appears to spread very rapidly, has a higher death rate than the flu and could seriously impact daily lives and the economy. It's already doing the latter and this is just getting started.

Last edited:
Where are you located?

Albany, NY region. Confirmed cases popping up all around us. Only 3 hours north of NYC. I'll know in a day or two if we're going fully remote.

I guess other companies around us are doing it. I would say that Albany NY is more of a contaminated area than the majority of KY. We have a lot of folks coming up from NYC because we're the capital, so it doesn't surprise me.

My worry is that Albany hasn't had NCAAB games since 2003.. and will be devastated if they cancel fan viewership for the games. I have all 6 tickets for Friday and Saturday.

Reactions: SuporChin
If you think the stock market investors are freaking just from watching too much MSNBC, you may need to be watching a little less Fox news yourself.
This is not a typical flu.

The "stock market freaking" has as much to do with Russia flooding the Oil Market to drive the price per barrel down to break the US Shale and Oil industry as the Corona Virus at a time where the US stock market is in a panic. The same Russians that are supposed to be in the tank for Trump.

Who said you should be living in fear, that's absurd. If you'd pay attention to what the real experts are saying about covid-19 and the flu, covid-19 can be contained and the flu cannot. While many more may die from flu, primarily because of more widespread infection, the mortality rate of covid-19 is many times higher than the flu but even more to the point, both critical illness and death is common among the old and sick. That is what we are trying to avoid because it is avoidable. Therefore, they are taking steps with covid-19 that they would never bother trying with the flu. It's pretty simple.

The mortality rates and reproductive R0 rates are being extrapolated largely from place hardest hit and seemingly ground zero. Wuhan province. I think we are comparing apples and oranges in terms of R0 transmission rates and healthcare, medicine capabilities.

The mortality rates and reproductive R0 rates are being extrapolated largely from place hardest hit and seemingly ground zero. Wuhan province. I think we are comparing apples and oranges in terms of R0 transmission rates and healthcare, medicine capabilities.
No, you're making assumptions. Italy, for instance, has good healthcare. So do we. When this gets in the older population it is a major problem. Who is it you don't trust? The CDC, WHO or Dr. Anthony Fauci?

I think this is completely false. In South Korea they have tested 200,000 people and the mortality rate is 0.5%
I suspect there are probably thousands of actual cases in the US already that just haven't been confirmed through actual tests. When those cases begin to be confirmed and the total cases rise, I think you'll see the mortality rate drop significantly.

I think this is completely false. In South Korea they have tested 200,000 people and the mortality rate is 0.5%
I suspect there are probably thousands of actual cases in the US already that just haven't been confirmed through actual tests. When those cases begin to be confirmed and the total cases rise, I think you'll see the mortality rate drop significantly.
Of course but you need to realize a couple of things. First, South Koreas death rate has been hanging around at about .65% which is 6.5 times higher than flu. You also need to understand they are being extremely aggressive in testing. If we did the same with the flu, we would also find many more cases who never present to a healthcare provider. I don't think you can effectively compare the two directly like that.

Reactions: BlueWorldOrder74
No, you're making assumptions. Italy, for instance, has good healthcare. So do we. When this gets in the older population it is a major problem. Who is it you don't trust? The CDC, WHO or Dr. Anthony Fauci?

False equivalence. Where did I state I didn't trust the CDC, etc?Hell, I linked a Hill article that comes directly from the CDC's ytd Influenza mortality rates. But I get it, I provide numbers, and you rebut with sophistry and an appeal to authority.

Of course but you need to realize a couple of things. First, South Koreas death rate has been hanging around at about .65% which is 6.5 times higher than flu. You also need to understand they are being extremely aggressive in testing. If we did the same with the flu, we would also find many more cases who never present to a healthcare provider. I don't think you can effectively compare the two directly like that.

Well based on information that is being put out, I disagree with you on that too. It is being said that this virus is very dangerous and may severely effect the elderly, but does not(almost 0) effect the very young like the flu does and does very little to younger adults in a lot of cases to the point one doesn't even realize they even have it. I think we can all agree that common sense precautions that each individual chooses is ok for them. I personally will use the same precautions that I normally do to avoid the flu, but I'm still going about my daily life the same.

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
False equivalence. Where did I state I didn't trust the CDC, etc?Hell, I linked a Hill article that comes directly from the CDC's ytd Influenza mortality rates. But I get it, I provide numbers, and you rebut with sophistry and an appeal to authority.
Um, what? What I'm saying is the flu has nothing to do with covid-19. Flu has a death rate of around .01% You can do the math from there. But, since you're so big on all this false info and you want to focus on South Korea, please explain Italy.

Well based on information that is being put out, I disagree with you on that too. It is being said that this virus is very dangerous and may severely effect the elderly, but does not(almost 0) effect the very young like the flu does and does very little to younger adults in a lot of cases to the point one doesn't even realize they even have it. I think we can all agree that common sense precautions that each individual chooses is ok for them. I personally will use the same precautions that I normally do to avoid the flu, but I'm still going about my daily life the same.
That's correct and exactly what the authorities say to do, the only thing different is the ongoing warnings about being in crowded areas. I never claimed you needed to do anything different than what the authorities are saying to do.

Some of the posters on this very board could have had or do have this virus currently. You just aren't affected the way old people are. That's what I don't get, it's literally just dangerous to older people, just like the flu. Otherwise it legit is just a cold that younger people get over and have gotten over. That's the part of the news that they don't cover. China has reported cases are leveling off now, not increasing.

Some of the posters on this very board could have had or do have this virus currently. You just aren't affected the way old people are. That's what I don't get, it's literally just dangerous to older people, just like the flu. Otherwise it legit is just a cold that younger people get over and have gotten over. That's the part of the news that they don't cover. China has reported cases are leveling off now, not increasing.
South Korea thinks they may be past peak as well, it will be great if this thing runs its course in just a couple of months.

Reactions: Cal-4-Three
South Korea thinks they may be past peak as well, it will be great if this thing runs its course in just a couple of months.

To put things in perspective:
One of the worst days so far for Coronavirus was the 10th of February. On that day, 108 people in China died of the Coronavirus.

BUT, on the same day:
26,283 people died of Cancer
24,641 people died of heart disease
4,300 people died of Diabetes
and on that day, Suicide unfortunately, took more lives than the virus did, by 28 times.
Moreover, Mosquitoes kill 2,740 people every day, Humans kill 1,300 fellow humans every day and Snakes kill 137 people every day.

TAKE A DEEP BREATH, AND WASH YOUR DIRTY ASS HANDS. LoL

Um, what? What I'm saying is the flu has nothing to do with covid-19. Flu has a death rate of around .01% You can do the math from there. But, since you're so big on all this false info and you want to focus on South Korea, please explain Italy.

It was JRCat 14 talking about South Korea. Italy seems anomalous compared to other western nations. Just a hunch:

"Prato, Tuscany has the largest concentration of Chinese people in Italy and all of Europe. It has the second largest population of Chinese people overall in Italy after Milan." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_people_in_Italy

To put things in perspective:
One of the worst days so far for Coronavirus was the 10th of February. On that day, 108 people in China died of the Coronavirus.

BUT, on the same day:
26,283 people died of Cancer
24,641 people died of heart disease
4,300 people died of Diabetes
and on that day, Suicide unfortunately, took more lives than the virus did, by 28 times.
Moreover, Mosquitoes kill 2,740 people every day, Humans kill 1,300 fellow humans every day and Snakes kill 137 people every day.

TAKE A DEEP BREATH, AND WASH YOUR DIRTY ASS HANDS. LoL

It’s not simply the number of deaths that’s the issue.

It’s the potential for a massive spike in the number of patients requiring hospitalizations / intensive care that’s the issue. Cancer, heart disease, etc. don’t cause short term spikes in demand for treatment that are capable of overwhelming a healthcare system. An epidemic of this sort can.

That was the problem in China and the current issue in Italy. They’re aren’t enough hospital beds, ventilators, doctors, nurses, etc. to treat all these patients getting sick all at once. Italy is cancelling all types of non-coronavirus procedures, pulling doctors / nurses out of retirement and graduating nurses early to get them into the hardest hit areas.

If that happens here, then in addition to struggling to treat all of the coronavirus patients needing hospitalizations, treatment of cancer patients, heart disease patients, severe diabetics, etc. will also suffer because of the inability of healthcare providers to cope with the increased demand. Where do you expect a hospital to put a car wreck victim if all of the beds are full of coronavirus patients?

Those are the types of scenarios concerning policy makers as much as, if not more so, simple mortality rates. Whether that actually happens remains to be seen, but that’s what governments and public health officials are worried about.

Last edited:

It was JRCat 14 talking about South Korea. Italy seems anomalous compared to other western nations. Just a hunch:

"Prato, Tuscany has the largest concentration of Chinese people in Italy and all of Europe. It has the second largest population of Chinese people overall in Italy after Milan." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_people_in_Italy
Interesting about Milan. My niece just had to leave art school in Tuscany, there isn't much of a problem there....yet anyway.

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
Albany, NY region. Confirmed cases popping up all around us. Only 3 hours north of NYC. I'll know in a day or two if we're going fully remote.

I guess other companies around us are doing it. I would say that Albany NY is more of a contaminated area than the majority of KY. We have a lot of folks coming up from NYC because we're the capital, so it doesn't surprise me.

Oh cool.

Im in NYC. Shit was hilarious this morning when i called Uber and the guy is completely covered up.

We'll all miss each other terribly.
d9fs3sb-da013176-311c-441f-b77e-c13877060b66.jpg

Reactions: BigBlueFanGA
People have basically explained this, but the point isn't that any one individual today is at any sort of severe risk. You don't need to fear (if you're not old or already ill) catching this and dying. But this has the potential to be significantly worse than flu, and we have a chance to stop it from getting that way. It also has the potential to temporarily overwhelm the healthcare system with critical cases, and we have a chance to stop that. Think bigger than yourself.

Oh cool.

Im in NYC. Shit was hilarious this morning when i called Uber and the guy is completely covered up.

One area credit union around here just went fully remote LAST week. My buddies down in Westchester said that two schools have just closed for the REST OF THE YEAR!

The "stock market freaking" has as much to do with Russia flooding the Oil Market to drive the price per barrel down to break the US Shale and Oil industry as the Corona Virus at a time where the US stock market is in a panic. The same Russians that are supposed to be in the tank for Trump.
Russia is only interested in sowing domestic discord. Trump was their preferred choice only because of his propensity to create chaos, discord and division in our country. They were correct in their assessment.
You and I are both partially correct regarding the stock market. Their are many reasons for it tanking....lack of confidence in anything the President says, lower than expected corporate profits, a market correction that is long overdue, Russian oil, and finally.....the Coronavirus that lit the fuse.
https://www.fox7austin.com/news/dow...s-as-price-war-erupts-and-coronavirus-spreads

Last edited:
Reactions: Cychologist
On a lighter note, imagine someone in the seats sneezes violently during the game, talk about a stampede.

Russia is only interested in sowing domestic discord. Trump was their preferred choice only because of his propensity to create chaos, discord and division in our country. They were correct in their assessment.
You and I are both partially correct regarding the stock market. Their are many reasons for it tanking....lack of confidence in anything the President says, a market correction that is long overdue, Russian oil, and finally.....the Coronavirus that lit the fuse.

Whole lot of stupid in this post. Did the stock market nearly hit 30,000 over Trumps words? The democrats have 2 choices. A communist or a walking vegetable.Biden never was smart but my God, and idiot could see he’s lost his fastball. Dementia has set in. Democrats are looking for a VP to run the show. A POC female. Harris? My God, she’s dumber than a rock and corrupt.

Reactions: catben
Same with where I work. They are probably going to send most of us home pretty soon.

I'm pissed because I already have this Friday off for the Kentucky game and conference tournaments (arguably the most underrated sports week of the year, conference tournaments), AND next Wednesday, Thursday and Friday for march madness.

Wish this came almost any other time of the year..

I'd rather work from home for that reason. I had to listen to most of the UofL football game and the Belk Bowl on the radio because I don't have a tv at my desk. That and there is literally no reason for me to even need to be in the office considering the majority of the team I work in works at home. I haven't seen my supervisor in months.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
I'd rather work from home for that reason. I had to listen to most of the UofL football game and the Belk Bowl on the radio because I don't have a tv at my desk. That and there is literally no reason for me to even need to be in the office considering the majority of the team I work in works at home. I haven't seen my supervisor in months.

I only work in the office for 4 of the 5 days.. but my job title really doesn't require me to be in the office other than some meetings and a bit of facetime. I guess I can't complain. It's going to be a lot of college basketball for me!

Hold up.......identify the posters who are infected! I’ve heard you can be contaminated through wi-fi. Ima be pissed if one of you degenerates gives me CV - I know half of you dirty bastards are sitting on the toilet while you type your posts, hiding from your wife and kids; holed up like a felon hiding from the police in that bathroom. Bitches.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT