ADVERTISEMENT

If Drew is on the fence about coming here

Drew's kids don't give 2 shuts about UK. They have friends and family they don't wanna leave and that's understandable. Just call Pearl and give him 5years at whatever money makes things work. We will look again for coach after we rebuild this mess. Maybe it's better that everyone is scared of coaching here. This isn't a decision Drew just gets to say fuk yeah. He can come alone and move the family up at summer break. Gives them time to say goodbyes and such.

If his wife’s not on board, that’s a real issue. The pressure of the UK job is tough enough without also having to deal with a spouse unhappy about moving.

Of course, Pitino’s wife also apparently didn’t like it here, but that didn’t stop him from having fabulous success,
Well the stick her ass in a 25,000 sq ft mansion a mile deep off Paris Pike and she doesn’t need to see a damn person unless she wants too.

He should be after reading some of the idiots comments on this board
Absolutely clueless about basketball
They want a Italian suit madman to be Coach

Drew's kids don't give 2 shuts about UK. They have friends and family they don't wanna leave and that's understandable. Just call Pearl and give him 5years at whatever money makes things work. We will look again for coach after we rebuild this mess. Maybe it's better that everyone is scared of coaching here. This isn't a decision Drew just gets to say fuk yeah. He can come alone and move the family up at summer break. Gives them time to say goodbyes and such.

MItch will never associate with that Dirtbag. It's just NOT going to happen.

Reactions: cathead64
Pearl with violations will not be considered. And when did you see that Sampson wanted to coach at UK? you have pyschic powers now?
Yeah I do.

Actually it’s deductive reasoning. The guy wants to win a title. Houston isn’t getting him over the him. This is pretty much common sense. Not to mention if our ad doesn’t try then how will anyone know? The guys wants a title pearl too and the ncaa is far different now than when pearl had his transgressions.

MItch will never associate with that Dirtbag. It's just NOT going to happen.
Then get rid of Mitch. He’s limiting the coaches pool to get who he wants not who we need. He’s been at uk too long made too many horrible mistakes. Send him on his way. Time for an ad who wants to win not an ad whose goal is “not to finish last”.

Realistically, this kind of decision that does require one to work through it with themselves and their family. A little hesitancy doesn't mean that he doesn't want it at all. We shall see.

Reactions: IIIBradIII
Then get rid of Mitch. He’s limiting the coaches pool to get who he wants not who we need. He’s been at uk too long made too many horrible mistakes. Send him on his way. Time for an ad who wants to win not an ad whose goal is “not to finish last”.
I agree mitch needs to go. Basketball first AD is needed at a basketball blue blood , the football first AD experiment for 20 years has to end.

BUT... also ............. if your reasoning for Sampson was sure fire, then Oats wouldnt have gotten out in front and said no and Mark Few would have put feelers out letting us know he's interested. sometimes people just dont want to leave where they are at for various reasons so we dont know If Sampson would jump.. also ewwwwwwwwwwwww at his offense.

then say hello to Mark Pope because thats the best coach that desperately wants to coach here
Sounds good to me. Like his coaching style better and with bigger nil he would get the players he needs. And bonus is that he is still hungry and looking to climb.

Donavan my first choice.

Golden a close second. (Of course Golden not proven so likely not being considered)
Agree on Golden. In 3 years Kentucky people will say - why didn't we look closer at Todd Golden. UK wants someone who has already won at the highest level - not the guy who is going to Win. Perfect example: Dan Hurley - would UK have even considered him 3 years ago? The answer is NO! Golden's resume right now is better than Hurley's was 3 years ago! But we are the "gold standard" so we have to have and pay for a "Gold Standard" coach.

Go Big Blue!

Reactions: AirRaid08
He is still energetic and hungry. Just imagine seeing him as Ky coach going up against Cal and the hogs. What a grand sight that would be. Excitement, excitement. And a "safe" hire for Mitch.

Reactions: IIIBradIII
But a coach who hasnt coached college in nearly a decade is?
Yes. Donovan is built for this job & would absolutely kill it here, IMO. And, the fact that he’s been coaching in the NBA for a decade is irrelevant. I have zero concern about one of the best college coaches of his generation being able to figure out NIL. It’s not brain surgery. Plus, he will be able to line up a great staff, with experience, to help with that.

The guy checks every single box for what UK fans should be looking for in a coach. He’s only 58 & has at least a decade left in him. He’s a proven winner at the highest level in college, he’s an elite recruiter, he plays an entertaining & effective style of basketball that isn’t obsolete, he has the personality/charisma for the job & he’s coached here for 5 years & against us for like 20 more years, so he understands what UK is all about. I mean, the guy won back to back titles, went to 4 FFs & won the SEC 8 times coaching at freaking UF. Imagine what he could do at a place like UK.

Yes. Donovan is built for this job & would absolutely kill it here, IMO. And, the fact that he’s been coaching in the NBA for a decade is irrelevant. I have zero concern about one of the best college coaches of his generation being able to figure out NIL. It’s not brain surgery. Plus, he will be able to line up a great staff, with experience, to help with that.

The guy checks every single box for what UK fans should be looking for in a coach. He’s only 58 & has at least a decade left in him. He’s a proven winner at the highest level in college, he’s an elite recruiter, he plays an entertaining & effective style of basketball that isn’t obsolete, he has the personality/charisma for the job & he’s coached here for 5 years & against us for like 20 more years, so he understands what UK is all about. I mean, the guy won back to back titles, went to 4 FFs & won the SEC 8 times coaching at freaking UF. Imagine what he could do at a place like UK.
If we get Donovan, then next year is a throwaway...

He can't assemble a roster unless he's here very soon.

Reactions: Dontworryboutit23
I think there's nothing wrong with thinking things over. There's a hell of a lot for Drew and his family to consider. They have built a life there, not just a basketball program. He's a good coach and I think he would do well here. but he needs to make the decision that is best for him and his family, not necessarily his "career".

It's not just his wife. He's building a 14000 sq ft home and his mother in-law is moving in with him and she doesn't want to come to KY either.
Jerry Seinfeld Popcorn GIF by Sheets & Giggles

Reactions: BlueVoodoo
If I had a family of five and they didn't wanna move to my new job I say we're you getting your generation wealth from because that's what this is. All family members could have a million each and Scott will still be set for live. I know it's hard but the kids can return to Texas anytime I'm sure.

I think there's nothing wrong with thinking things over. There's a hell of a lot for Drew and his family to consider. They have built a life there, not just a basketball program. He's a good coach and I think he would do well here. but he needs to make the decision that is best for him and his family, not necessarily his "career".
Well it's not like they can never return to Waco. 6 yrs here, retire and go home. BFD.

He isn't built for UK. But some folks on here are oblivious to the fact.
There is an urge to over correct for Cal that will age like milk.

After a long relationship any new good good will feel special but after a few trips to the new land of milk and honey the head clears and the perspective changes and probably the search continues.

Reactions: JerseyCat84
Agree on Golden. In 3 years Kentucky people will say - why didn't we look closer at Todd Golden. UK wants someone who has already won at the highest level - not the guy who is going to Win. Perfect example: Dan Hurley - would UK have even considered him 3 years ago? The answer is NO! Golden's resume right now is better than Hurley's was 3 years ago! But we are the "gold standard" so we have to have and pay for a "Gold Standard" coach.

Go Big Blue!
I'm not sure where this perspective in many corners came from.

Not once have we brought in a Championship winning coach and I'd say we have done alright over the decades.

It is hard to be hungry with a full belly, a rare few can do it and that is great if you find that unicorn (Hurley, younger Pitino, plausibly Donovan) but in general I think we should be searching for the next man up rather than hoping the last guy can catch the lightning in a bottle again.

Drew will be KY’s Coach. After the shock wears off they all will head this way granny included

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT