ADVERTISEMENT

If Donovan Cannot Give UK an Answer Within Next 2 Days Then UK Must Move On.

shadowman4

Junior
Gold Member
Sep 21, 2002
Donovan has shown twice before that he didn’t have any interest in the UK job previously. What makes UK’s administration or the fan base think that he would take it now. UK simply cannot wait a week or two for an answer. That would not give Donovan anywhere close to enough time to assemble a coaching staff and put a roster together that could be anywhere close to competitive for next year.
The last thing I want or I think any other UK Fan wants is a losing season right off the get go. If Donovan cannot tell UK, yes, within two days then UK simply must move on to other options..

Donovan has shown twice before that he didn’t have any interest in the UK job previously. What makes UK’s administration or the fan base think that he would take it now. UK simply cannot wait a week or two for an answer. That would not give Donovan anywhere close to enough time to assemble a coaching staff and put a roster together that could be anywhere close to competitive for next year.
The last thing I want or I think any other UK Fan wants is a losing season right off the get go. If Donovan cannot tell UK, yes, within two days then UK simply must move on to other options..
incorrect

Reactions: AJG-15 and Taiza
Why is everyone so fixated on this coming season? Who cares if we have a throw away year while rebuilding for a long term dynasty run? Obviously I want to have as good of a season as possible next year but not at the cost of the next 10 seasons.
I understand your point. I half agree. However, I don't understand how 2 more week of waiting will effect Donavan doing any of the following;
1)keeping players like theiro, Reed, and Burkes from going pro/transferring
2)can flip any high school commits. These 17 year olds change their minds all the time. I'm sure he could flip a couple or get any of the uncommitted players still out there.
3)he would crush the portal. All the players are still an available and about more will be declaring and one week isn't gonna make a damn difference.

We won't be throwing away next season.

Why is everyone so fixated on this coming season? Who cares if we have a throw away year while rebuilding for a long term dynasty run? Obviously I want to have as good of a season as possible next year but not at the cost of the next 10 seasons.
This. We’re gonna be dealing with transition pains next year no matter what.

Year 2 is the one we want to be focused on. That’s when we’ll have had a fair chance to fully reload and take off on the new era.

Some of y'all have the strangest ideas about negotiating with top tier individuals. If we act like jackasses to people at the top of the list, demanding quick decisions because of our general greatness. It will turn others off from dealing with us. The whole 'we are bigger than any coach' idea may be true. But it's not the attitude you bring to the table. These men are already wealthy. Jumping from 5 to 8 or 9 mil a year won't change their lifestyle enough to put up with unreasonable people.

This ^

Most people with common sense already know that next year will likely be a throw away season, no matter who is hired, and when they are hired.

Reactions: CarolinaCatsFan
He is not going to give Mitch any answer until the Bulls are eliminated from the playoffs. And I would NOT trust his yes before then because of how he left UK holding the bag the last time which ended up with Mitch hiring an IDIOT in Billy Clyde.

He is not going to give Mitch any answer until the Bulls are eliminated from the playoffs. And I would NOT trust his yes before then because of how he left UK holding the bag the last time which ended up with Mitch hiring an IDIOT in Billy Clyde.
I thought that also. I now no longer think that. I think we’ll know pretty soon.

as a card fan, i posted on our site but this is the simple reason why donovan won;t go back to college for any reason no matter what school...
the nba is completely different ball game, no pun intended. when the nba season ends, the coach gets to go home and do whatever he wants during the summer break. in college you work all year round. no NIL in the NBA. no rabid college fans. No boosters. you coach adults not kids. you coach against the best in the world. you don't have to recruit. and a school thinks paying him a $1MM or two more ir worth all those negative aspects. not happening. you are in the same boat we were. the best best coaches like where they are enough not to make a huge change for just a small bump in salary. you are going to end up with the same type of guy as CPK and it's going to be a fun next decade.

Am I crazy or couldn't Donovan accept the job on the condition that he finishes the Bulls playoff run and go ahead and hire his staff to do the recruiting in the meantime. I'm not an attorney so I don't know if that would a violation of his contract.

as a card fan, i posted on our site but this is the simple reason why donovan won;t go back to college for any reason no matter what school...
the nba is completely different ball game, no pun intended. when the nba season ends, the coach gets to go home and do whatever he wants during the summer break. in college you work all year round. no NIL in the NBA. no rabid college fans. No boosters. you coach adults not kids. you coach against the best in the world. you don't have to recruit. and a school thinks paying him a $1MM or two more ir worth all those negative aspects. not happening. you are in the same boat we were. the best best coaches like where they are enough not to make a huge change for just a small bump in salary. you are going to end up with the same type of guy as CPK and it's going to be a fun next decade.
Lol you'll see.

The NBA is a different ball game, and Donovan hasnt done well with that game. He was however a brilliant college coach, with lots of success. He looks miserable in Chicago, and his days are numbered. If i was him, i would be on a plane to Lexington as soon as the Bulls season ends.

Here's my thought- and I know he is restricted from talking to other teams about potential jobs while the team is still playing, but... we don't need an "official talk." We just need to know if it would wise to wait to have that talk or not. Should we wait for him or not? You don't even need to officially even ask the question.

Mitch just says, "Hey Billy, I was thinking about possibly coming to see you next Wednesday night. Should I keep thinking about that or is that just a dumb idea?"

If it's worth our while to wait for him, then we definitely should. Otherwise, we should move on to others who are able to negotiate.

Sisk just posted something bout Billy D 5 min ago on HOB….🤞🏼🤞🏼🤞🏼🤞🏼

You could work out an agreement with Donovan right now and let him finish the season. They’re not winning anything. Keep Ulis on staff and let him work on portal guys and holdovers with Donovan’s oversight.

Reactions: mdlUK.1
Agree 100%

Not to mention some of the flaky stuff Donovan has pulled in the past.

Why?

One reason is that we just had a "throw away year" three seasons back. And the last two, were also disasters.
Yeah, I’m not sure about all the fans saying let’s have a throw away year. Screw that! Offer Oats or Pearl $8-9 million and take the first one that accepts. Do it today so they can start recruiting for next year.

Pi&& on a throw away year!

Lol you'll see.
in bball coaching, you;re a failure if you go from nba to college. no one has succeeded, they all fail and waste away into oblivion. name one pro coach who has come back to college and succeeded except RP at louisville. and he was an absolute failure for the knicks. Donovan has his team in the playoffs and and is basically one more star player away from getting farther. and if you throw in the fact that LaMelo Ball got hurt, they probably would have had 10 more wins this year and would have been a 5-6 seed. his year is only bad because of injuries not coaching. he's close to the top of the nba, why go back to college to deal with clueless fans like uk's? hopefully you'll come back and apologize when you realize i was right all along.

in bball coaching, you;re a failure if you go from nba to college. no one has succeeded, they all fail and waste away into oblivion. name one pro coach who has come back to college and succeeded except RP at louisville. and he was an absolute failure for the knicks. Donovan has his team in the playoffs and and is basically one more star player away from getting farther. and if you throw in the fact that LaMelo Ball got hurt, they probably would have had 10 more wins this year and would have been a 5-6 seed. his year is only bad because of injuries not coaching. he's close to the top of the nba, why go back to college to deal with clueless fans like uk's?
Yeah, John Calipari failed going from NBA to college. Lol, what a moron. You can't call any fanbase clueless and be Louisville. Your program is a shit-stain mid major. Propped up by Pitino. Now that he's gone you see where you're at. A mid major that snuck into the ACC, with a mid major level hire in Pat Kelsey. Hopefully no players bang his wife again. Might have to bolt in the middle of the night like Katina.

in bball coaching, you;re a failure if you go from nba to college. no one has succeeded, they all fail and waste away into oblivion. name one pro coach who has come back to college and succeeded except RP at louisville. and he was an absolute failure for the knicks. Donovan has his team in the playoffs and and is basically one more star player away from getting farther. and if you throw in the fact that LaMelo Ball got hurt, they probably would have had 10 more wins this year and would have been a 5-6 seed. his year is only bad because of injuries not coaching. he's close to the top of the nba, why go back to college to deal with clueless fans like uk's? hopefully you'll come back and apologize when you realize i was right all along.
I mean this will sound hypocritical but Cal came from the NBA and his first several years were amazing till the game passed him by.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT