ADVERTISEMENT

If Cal gets Hunter Dickinson game on.

uk78

All-American
Feb 6, 2003
I am not overly optimistic depending upon a full roster of Freshman and expecting that is going to lead us to either a SEC championship or National. We need an experienced front court leader. Certainly, if Oscar were to return that would help. But a guy like Dickinson can be the physical game changer we need. Someone who is proven. Add Dickinson and Reeves comes back I will say combined with the talented Freshman it will be enough to overcome Cal's in game coaching deficits.

Reactions: tomrain
I am not overly optimistic depending upon a full roster of Freshman and expecting that is going to lead us to either a SEC championship or National. We need an experienced front court leader. Certainly, if Oscar were to return that would help. But a guy like Dickinson can be the physical game changer we need. Someone who is proven. Add Dickinson and Reeves comes back I will say combined with the talented Freshman it will be enough to overcome Cal's in game coaching deficits.
Yes, without an experience, physical component on the team I believe it peter out down the stretch as is true for most, if not all, freshmen teams.

Cal won’t bring in Dickinson unless Ugonna is gone and we need a 5. He is 7 foot but also slow. Who knows what ole Crazy Cal will do?

Reactions: oakhillcatman
The stats are huge but trust me Kentucky doesn’t need nor should they get a high usage center that clogs the paint and requires touches.

We need shooting from both the 4-5 spot. A C who is a rim runner, shot blocker, and good PnR defender. Kelel Ware is the guy you want.

We need spacing to let our guards cook. Otherwise you’re just going to see a repeat of this early this season where the ball went to Oscar and then everyone stood around and watched him.

It's really a simple equation. You keep Oscar if he wants to stay and you reduce his role.

If you add Dickinson, you also reduce his role.

You have guys like Edwards, Dillingham, Reeves, and Wagner who won't need to depend on a big man to create shots.

All of UK's potential bigs, whoever they end up being, can simply be complimentary pieces. Rebound. Defend. Limited touches. Post up when the game's on the line. Dickinson's a lethal free throw shooter and has three-year career FT averages of better than 75%, so he wouldn't be a liability at the line when the game is close.

Whose heart is Calipari going to let Dickinson take? See, that’s a major problem with Calipari! He won’t put the best options on the floor until his ass is against the wall, and Dickinson would have to be on the team first, which won’t happen if Ugo and Ware return.
I fear for our low post game next season if Cal rolls the dice with a Onyenso/Bradshaw starting frontcourt with two guards who can't shoot on the perimeter.

A few issues that need to be discussed regarding Dickinson:

1. He's the most "it's about me" guy in CBB. From his "I want to be the WWE Heel" antics, to his podcast that really is not helping him at all, to his play that leveled off. He's the same player he was as a Freshman. The perfect spot would be if Drew Timme left (still doubt that happens) and he went to Gonzaga for his goofball ACT.

2. Guy leaves a program like Michigan and is "open to everyone" meaning whomever pays him the most, he's there. Now you think he's going to come to Kentucky and be playing in the background? Reduced role? He was with 2 NBA 1st round wing players in Kobe Bufkin and Jett Howard and they ended up in the NIT due to team always deferring to him late and the Michigan offense being disjointed as far too often their best players never touched the ball late. Michigan would rather move forward with Tarris Reed and Papa Kante (incoming recruit) than Dickinson.

3. Dickinson criticized the roster that Michigan was going to have in '24 and started a big fight with teammates on his way out. It's gotten ugly and teammates calling him out as a problem. Being outspoken is fine, but we've seen that doesn't really fit with Kentucky's program. An old player who has his own podcast and is open about talking sh*t about teammates/team?

4. Defensively, Dickinson is atrocious. Being bigger than Oscar isn't an endorsement. He's the same pick and roll liability that Oscar is, only he's slower and lacks lateral quickness. Despite being 7'1 he's not a rim protector.

5. They know him from recruiting him before. The biggest endorsement he got from the staff at that time was Joel Justus. Nuff said. I'm personally out on that alone.

Kentucky has a very good opportunity to add to the roster with a guy who could be a Top 5 Lottery talent in the '24 Draft in Kel'el Ware. 7'0 who can do several things very well and fit the model of the type of player you have succeeded with should be the focal point. Ware is mobile and can play all over the court on BOTH ends. It's a perfect blend with the incoming class and you are not being held hostage by Onyenso's handlers. Again, Ugonna is great, this isn't about him but these guys want to hold your ass to the fire, then be proactive. Not going to discuss Oscar until he does what would be shocking and want to return. Personally, I'm recruiting to make the '24 team the best it can be and can't wait for guys who are unsure of what they want to do to make decisions (Livingston-he's not out for sure) or have told me they are gone and may change their mind when they are told of their NBA future or lack of one.

You don't wait to add elite talent to the roster and like many love to say Cal isn't a great X's and O's guy so what formula has worked best for him? Loading up on elite NBA Lottery caliber players or having a mix of old/young and college vets? If we have 1 more year, I'd say he should go out the way he came in-load up on young talent and Lottery guys and see if they can carry the program back to Final Four. Just my two cents.

I'd rather see a true rim defender to stop the teams that absolutely wore us out driving to the basket this year. Plus, I can't see Calipari taking a chance on jeopardizing his last great team with a potential "me first" guy like Dickinson.

The stats are huge but trust me Kentucky doesn’t need nor should they get a high usage center that clogs the paint and requires touches.

We need shooting from both the 4-5 spot. A C who is a rim runner, shot blocker, and good PnR defender. Kelel Ware is the guy you want.

We need spacing to let our guards cook. Otherwise you’re just going to see a repeat of this early this season where the ball went to Oscar and then everyone stood around and watched him.
Yeah. Dickinson shot 22 times against us. He ain't getting close to that here with the group we have comin in.

1. He's the most "it's about me" guy in CBB. From his "I want to be the WWE Heel" antics, to his podcast that really is not helping him at all, to his play that leveled off. He's the same player he was as a Freshman. The perfect spot would be if Drew Timme left (still doubt that happens) and he went to Gonzaga for his goofball ACT.

2. Guy leaves a program like Michigan and is "open to everyone" meaning whomever pays him the most, he's there. Now you think he's going to come to Kentucky and be playing in the background? Reduced role? He was with 2 NBA 1st round wing players in Kobe Bufkin and Jett Howard and they ended up in the NIT due to team always deferring to him late and the Michigan offense being disjointed as far too often their best players never touched the ball late. Michigan would rather move forward with Tarris Reed and Papa Kante (incoming recruit) than Dickinson.

3. Dickinson criticized the roster that Michigan was going to have in '24 and started a big fight with teammates on his way out. It's gotten ugly and teammates calling him out as a problem. Being outspoken is fine, but we've seen that doesn't really fit with Kentucky's program. An old player who has his own podcast and is open about talking sh*t about teammates/team?

4. Defensively, Dickinson is atrocious. Being bigger than Oscar isn't an endorsement. He's the same pick and roll liability that Oscar is, only he's slower and lacks lateral quickness. Despite being 7'1 he's not a rim protector.

5. They know him from recruiting him before. The biggest endorsement he got from the staff at that time was Joel Justus. Nuff said. I'm personally out on that alone.

Kentucky has a very good opportunity to add to the roster with a guy who could be a Top 5 Lottery talent in the '24 Draft in Kel'el Ware. 7'0 who can do several things very well and fit the model of the type of player you have succeeded with should be the focal point. Ware is mobile and can play all over the court on BOTH ends. It's a perfect blend with the incoming class and you are not being held hostage by Onyenso's handlers. Again, Ugonna is great, this isn't about him but these guys want to hold your ass to the fire, then be proactive. Not going to discuss Oscar until he does what would be shocking and want to return. Personally, I'm recruiting to make the '24 team the best it can be and can't wait for guys who are unsure of what they want to do to make decisions (Livingston-he's not out for sure) or have told me they are gone and may change their mind when they are told of their NBA future or lack of one.

You don't wait to add elite talent to the roster and like many love to say Cal isn't a great X's and O's guy so what formula has worked best for him? Loading up on elite NBA Lottery caliber players or having a mix of old/young and college vets? If we have 1 more year, I'd say he should go out the way he came in-load up on young talent and Lottery guys and see if they can carry the program back to Final Four. Just my two cents.

Ralph if you are Cal and dealing with Ugo's people who want him out don't you just let him walk? Especially if you truly think you can get Ware?

1. Tired of people holding program hostage. The do this or we are leaving mentality. Fine, leave IMHO...if you don't want to be here gtfo.
Now, this may not be Ugo's fault but it is what it is. Last thing we need are people who have other people in their ear telling them they need xyz.

2. Ware is proven...Ugo is not. Who knows what Ugo is or isn't going to be next year.

Cal is literally playing with house money.

I know lots don't like Matt Jones but I think he made a very valid point yesterday.

He said:. (paraphrasing) nobody truly cares who is coming back next year. Fans just want and need a great season next year. This is Cals last stand. A bad year and it will get incredibly ugly. Go get the guys he wants and make sure they are who he wants, all BBN wants is results/wins.

I pretty much agree with this 100%.

Yeah. I’m just not big on this guy at all! I don’t understand the love affair with him. He is a TERRIBLE fit!

Yep! Ware is the guy!

I read where Ware was averaging 10ppg when Altman started cutting his minutes and basically said he was lazy.

Hope he comes here with a chip on his shoulder ready to prove Altman was an idiot to reduce his role.

I think he is the best fit for us at the 5. Sign him and if Onyenso leaves, we are covered at the five. If Onyenso returns, we are pretty loaded inside.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
Ralph if you are Cal and dealing with Ugo's people who want him out don't you just let him walk? Especially if you truly think you can get Ware?

1. Tired of people holding program hostage. The do this or we are leaving mentality. Fine, leave IMHO...if you don't want to be here gtfo.
Now, this may not be Ugo's fault but it is what it is. Last thing we need are people who have other people in their ear telling them they need xyz.

2. Ware is proven...Ugo is not. Who knows what Ugo is or isn't going to be next year.
If I were running things and thankfully for you I'm not, I'd just go get the best roster I can and worry about who does/doesn't want to be around afterwards. You don't commit to me, then I have to build assuming you are not going to be around.

I would take Kel'el Ware and tell everyone that they can stay/go. Ugonna is going to be a very good player. I believe in his talents and all I've heard is he's a fantastic teammate/person. It's NOT about him at all. Thing is-leverage is only as good as your options. His people want leverage...well I trump you by bringing in a 7'0 potential Top 5 Lottery pick and saying "Stay and compete" or "thanks and good luck".

I'd also have done this last year and it's how I'd use the Portal. The Portal is for making your roster the best it can be. Now that doesn't mean everyone has to be a 5 star or former guy you recruited, etc...but it doesn't hurt. I also like the idea of being interchangeable and allowing my team to play the same throughout a game. If I can throw two 7'0 at you who can play on both ends all over the court, I'm wanting that instead of having to make everyone adjust to a part that doesn't fit. Portal allows the puzzle to fit-if you look for right pieces.

If you need shooters-they are out there. If you need ball handlers. They are out there. Big Men who can protect the rim but also play hedge/recover or switch/chase? They are there. Just a matter of realizing the loyalty is to the brand/program, not individuals. You get fired for worrying about feelings of players. They will leave you in a heartbeat too. So it's time to be loyal to Kentucky and that's putting together the best roster possible and not waiting to see if guys want to stay/comeback, etc....

For instance, I really don't care what CJ Fredrick wants to do with his career. I just realize it's going to be higher than 90% he'll be injured. Can't count that he can make it, so going to go get someone who can give me a better chance of staying healthy/on the court. Mean? I don't care. It's real. So he gets no say in what we're doing with the roster. If he wants to stay? Fine. But nothing is promised and not "hoping" anything happens.

Urgency is #1 priority in sports. At a blueblood it better be. Fat and happy gets you beat and fired.

Love this guy. He’s a dude that’s gonna compete for defensive player of the year in whatever conference he ends up
Agree, he is the WCS, Noel type shot blocker we have been missing. I don’t even think Kentucky has offered or contacted yet. The staff should have offered him a long time ago. This guy with bradshaw would allow bradshaw to roam around and use his perimeter skills

Take Ware over Dickinson every second of the day. And it isn’t even close if your considering total package of skills, athletic ability and team cohesiveness. He is the better fit with who is coming in.

The best option are the two bigs from Marshall Oregon, ware from Oregon, and handlogten from Marshall are way better fits. Get one of those two and the. Get one of kneucht or bamba from Washington state and maybe another shooter in the portal. Then get reeves back and let’s roll
Dickenson is a better player than either of those guys. Can shoot it and is almost automatic inside 7 feet

Reactions: FitchandMurray29
Dickenson is a better player than either of those guys. Can shoot it and is almost automatic inside 7 feet
Is he the better fit? Everyone talks about offense, but he brings the same issues to the table that have been exploited the past 2 seasons. You literally had a NPOY who was a better player than Dickinson go through the same problems. Then when facing said player/team who isn't known for defense, Dickinson needed 22 shots to get 23 pts. Realize that 1 game doesn't define a player, but this Kentucky program the past 2 yrs should be a cakewalk for an experienced 7'1 offensive oriented player.

Again, the discussion is not about stats, it's about who makes the team better/fits the rest of the roster. When roster building, everyone wants to load up on stats...forget about chemistry and complimentary players. When you add the off the court distractions and NIL demands, you still think it's a good fit?

Dickinson would not be a must get player for this team if you think Oscar had defensive problems Dickinson has more issues not a good get

Same old s&&t, if we get this guy look out, just seems to be starting early this year. Get ready for “we’re young, we’re hurt, we’re inexperienced - same old Cal. Next year is just rinse and repeat

The voice of reason. Thankfully you said it bc my opinion doesn't carry as much weight. I'd be more than happy to avoid his side show antics and start the season with Ugonna.
No need to be hasty in the portal. We have spots to fill but let's fill em with the right guys. The staff needs to figure out who meshes best with what we have. I'd much rather have Dalton Knecht or an experienced stretch four. This team only needs positive reinforcement bc it'll be a freshmen lead squad come tournament time.

Maybe Michael Jordan.....not Dickinson. You did see how many times Cal has blown it with a roster loaded with stars?

Is he the better fit? Everyone talks about offense, but he brings the same issues to the table that have been exploited the past 2 seasons. You literally had a NPOY who was a better player than Dickinson go through the same problems. Then when facing said player/team who isn't known for defense, Dickinson needed 22 shots to get 23 pts. Realize that 1 game doesn't define a player, but this Kentucky program the past 2 yrs should be a cakewalk for an experienced 7'1 offensive oriented player.

Again, the discussion is not about stats, it's about who makes the team better/fits the rest of the roster. When roster building, everyone wants to load up on stats...forget about chemistry and complimentary players. When you add the off the court distractions and NIL demands, you still think it's a good fit?
I think ware and the marshall kid look to be projects. Maybe Ware isn't. He may be better than I'm giving credit but we definitely need someone who can score in the post when needed. We have a shot blocker

Reactions: Fox2monk
I think ware and the marshall kid look to be projects. Maybe Ware isn't. He may be better than I'm giving credit but we definitely need someone who can score in the post when needed. We have a shot blocker
The issue is you have 1 basketball and a lot of guys coming into the program who need it to be productive. Are you better off with a guy who can finish around the rim and doesn't need to have everything run through him? Or telling rest of the team to change how they play and play off a post presence?

Ware is very capable. I'd also say he's the type of player who does excel at Kentucky under Calipari. He's a more offensively gifted WCS. He's a guy who many NBA people think can be a high Lottery pick if he gets to the right program (again his selection of Oregon was eye opening but at least he's going to move on instead of being ruined like Dante and Kepnang were in the past).

Marshall kid can be a defensive presence. Can move and is agile.

I feel it's a lot easier to teach offensive post moves to a guy who can impact the game without the ball on a team that has guys who will be scoring, then it is to try and get a player more mobile and defensively change a game.

Respect your difference of opinion and Ware is a guy that many thought was superior to Lively last year in HS due to his offensive abilities. He was off to a great start and Oregon's program imploded. You may not have known that either. It's so bad Dana Altman came out and said "Maybe they need to fire me and I can go back and coach Juco" last week in response to the lack of support and something being off about the program.

Marshall kid I know less about, but like what I've seen regarding fit/what is needed for the program to step forward. I've seen the Vet college post who can't defend approach and it's not working in terms of team success. Calipari has done his best work with a certain type of roster/player and I'd look for that.

The issue is you have 1 basketball and a lot of guys coming into the program who need it to be productive. Are you better off with a guy who can finish around the rim and doesn't need to have everything run through him? Or telling rest of the team to change how they play and play off a post presence?

Ware is very capable. I'd also say he's the type of player who does excel at Kentucky under Calipari. He's a more offensively gifted WCS. He's a guy who many NBA people think can be a high Lottery pick if he gets to the right program (again his selection of Oregon was eye opening but at least he's going to move on instead of being ruined like Dante and Kepnang were in the past).

Marshall kid can be a defensive presence. Can move and is agile.

I feel it's a lot easier to teach offensive post moves to a guy who can impact the game without the ball on a team that has guys who will be scoring, then it is to try and get a player more mobile and defensively change a game.

Respect your difference of opinion and Ware is a guy that many thought was superior to Lively last year in HS due to his offensive abilities. He was off to a great start and Oregon's program imploded. You may not have known that either. It's so bad Dana Altman came out and said "Maybe they need to fire me and I can go back and coach Juco" last week in response to the lack of support and something being off about the program.

Marshall kid I know less about, but like what I've seen regarding fit/what is needed for the program to step forward. I've seen the Vet college post who can't defend approach and it's not working in terms of team success. Calipari has done his best work with a certain type of roster/player and I'd look for that.
I was unaware Ware was that highly thought of. He has a decent touch on his shot.

I was unaware Ware was that highly thought of. He has a decent touch on his shot.
Biancardi at ESPN and Fraschilla got in a heated argument during the McDonald's AA game scrimmage as Fran kept saying "I like Kel'el Ware more than Derrick Lively" and of course Biancardi had Lively as his #1 player in the country and then it turned into a pissing contest but Fran said NBA guys liked Ware a great deal more due to his offensive skills.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT