ADVERTISEMENT

I Was Wrong - We are More Than Fine

I do wish Cal the best. My initially thought was panic. However, I think the brand is just too big to fail. We will be fine.

I don’t want Cal to fail, but even with Tyson NIL money, I just don’t see this working. And by not working, I mean failing to make even a Sweet 16 like here recently. Maybe he was better off just riding off into the sunset. I’m not sure this will end well at all for him.
Let's put it this way, if he's going to Arkansas to do things the exact same way he was doing them here in Lexington, there is no reason to expect different results.

OTOH, I'm sure he will be renewed and out to prove the last 5 years we atypical for him. In that regard I think he'll be motivated. But make no mistake, if he goes to Arkansas and has great success, it will be because he finally changed and started listening to others and got with the times and played more to win than to get guys drafted, not because he continued to do things the same way.

I didn't imply that Drew was anything like BCG. It was more about the fact that Mitch hired BCG and that mistakes can be made. This isn't a gauranteed slam dunk situation. I will be thrilled with Scott Drew as our coach. Mitch has a spotty track record of hiring coaches. Elzy, BCG, Joker, etc...
JVC hadn't won a NC before he came to UK. Drew has as much success(if not more) pre UK as JVC did.

Reactions: mg0721
His top 12 team that just go bounced in the tournament in the 2nd rd, which has occured the last 3 years. Oh, boy!

1 of those 3 recruits is unranked. Don't be at all surprised if those players also go elsewhere. Would not be surprised to see VJ go to Duke.

Cal was at least adept at getting players. Even if the results become disappointing. I don't think Drew is going to be quite as good at that part. It's going to be a very hodgepodge team he puts together. I honestly wouldn't expect to even make the tournament in year 1 with him.
Better than cows mismanagement of a team any half conscious coach could coach to a title

I didn't imply that Drew was anything like BCG. It was more about the fact that Mitch hired BCG and that mistakes can be made. This isn't a gauranteed slam dunk situation. I will be thrilled with Scott Drew as our coach. Mitch has a spotty track record of hiring coaches. Elzy, BCG, Joker, etc...
i agree 100%... but it is what it is. The above is why I was worried about Cal leaving in 2019 or so... I thought MB would screw up the replacement. But heck, I really don't think he can screw this one up

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT