ADVERTISEMENT

I truly thought this year was going to be different

BLUEDOUG46

Blue Chip Prospect
Jan 4, 2012
Before I expound let me give you a bit of my back ground with our beloved football team. I literally did pay per view to watch Spurrier and Florida beat Curry`s wildcats 73-7 or something close to that. I was in the stands on a 28 degree winter day watching Hal Mumme`s last team get the stew kicked out of them by Vandy. I was also there with very good seats to see us lose to LSU on the last Hail Mary- Bled and bled with this football program over the years and spent quite abit of money doing so. Before the season I looked at our returning roster , and the portal guys they brought in along with 5 star Brock and 4 star Gavin at QB, and truly thought this could be a 9 win team. VERY tough schedule, but I had losses to Georgia, Ole Miss and Texas, but secretly thought we could get Georgia and drop the game at UT. SO 8-4 at worse.

Folks, i just need to come to terms that CMS as much as I really like him , and appreciate the stability he has given our program is just not a great coach. He is solid, very very solid as a coach. No matter who is our O coordinator they are going to play Stoops ball, conservative, strong run and conservative passing with a stout defense and a 5-7 possession game. EVERY game due to this style is going to be lower scoring. Against a high flying team like Ole Miss or UT where they spread you out and chuck it I am all for that. Against a team like Vandy id like to see us speed it up abit. Offense wins games these days...

I know this is nothing alot of you all have not said and posted before but ive just now come to terms that Stoops needs to make this year his last year. I think this would allow him to go out the way he deserves , with most of the fans still with fondness of him. I dont see this thing getting better, and now think this could be a 5-7 team. I still think we beat the dirty birds and finish 6-6 but lets be honest this team has alot of talent and 6- is underperforming imo.

Nothing earth shattering here just a long term football fan concluding its time for Mark to go after this year... this aint gettin better..

1. I was very iffy on Bush Hamden vs. Coen. As much crap as Coen got...we scored 29pts a game last year....that was always going to be a hard number to maintain or improve. (and for the record UK is 114 in NCAA scoring 20pts a game....truly a bad offense)
2. I was sort of middle road on Oline....I liked Wolford more than Yenser. But still Cox, Burton, Cox, Farmer and Mincey was never going to be better than average SEC Oline...and they are bottom 2-3 Oline in SEC especially when you count up all the drive killign penalties
3. Brock was a question mark....but I thought he'd be better than Leary (who I was not impressed with) and while Brock has some growing pains....I sort of like him (but I get the feeling I'm in the minority on Brock). 60% completion percentage 160 yards passing per game, 5TD vs. 2 int....pretty underwhelming scoring but he's not a TO machine and pushes the vertical passing game
4. Getting a legit WR coach was huge and Key has responded with a great season...>Barion is more consistent catching the ball. Now both are head cases but they are playing
5. RB.....Honestly....Demi and Wilcox have played better than I predicted. Demi avg 4.6 yard per carry and Wilcox 6.6 yard per carry....no fumbles, catching the ball fine and blocking well in pass pro.....not bad at all.
6. The intangibles are a mess.
- Redzone is a disaster (coaching)
- TE are pass blockers vs. receivers
- Discipline is awful with penalties and mental mistakes

And counting we lose 4 OLine, probably both WR leave, Demi is gone adn I cant' see how Wilcox stays (Stoops never speaks well of him)....This has been a colossal bust of an offensive season.

Last edited:
I was not hopeful; we've gotten what I expected and what anybody that took the past into consideration expected. Stoops just is not going to turn into a different person at his age. He is what he is and we are what we are...

I see 5 wins this year at best and a significant decline next year. I wish I felt different about it but I think Stoops will just have more and more things to clean up until he gives it up or gets fired. We've seen his best.

Last edited:
Before I expound let me give you a bit of my back ground with our beloved football team. I literally did pay per view to watch Spurrier and Florida beat Curry`s wildcats 73-7 or something close to that. I was in the stands on a 28 degree winter day watching Hal Mumme`s last team get the stew kicked out of them by Vandy. I was also there with very good seats to see us lose to LSU on the last Hail Mary- Bled and bled with this football program over the years and spent quite abit of money doing so. Before the season I looked at our returning roster , and the portal guys they brought in along with 5 star Brock and 4 star Gavin at QB, and truly thought this could be a 9 win team. VERY tough schedule, but I had losses to Georgia, Ole Miss and Texas, but secretly thought we could get Georgia and drop the game at UT. SO 8-4 at worse.

Folks, i just need to come to terms that CMS as much as I really like him , and appreciate the stability he has given our program is just not a great coach. He is solid, very very solid as a coach. No matter who is our O coordinator they are going to play Stoops ball, conservative, strong run and conservative passing with a stout defense and a 5-7 possession game. EVERY game due to this style is going to be lower scoring. Against a high flying team like Ole Miss or UT where they spread you out and chuck it I am all for that. Against a team like Vandy id like to see us speed it up abit. Offense wins games these days...

I know this is nothing alot of you all have not said and posted before but ive just now come to terms that Stoops needs to make this year his last year. I think this would allow him to go out the way he deserves , with most of the fans still with fondness of him. I dont see this thing getting better, and now think this could be a 5-7 team. I still think we beat the dirty birds and finish 6-6 but lets be honest this team has alot of talent and 6- is underperforming imo.

Nothing earth shattering here just a long term football fan concluding its time for Mark to go after this year... this aint gettin better..

As a Gator fan this year you still have a good defense but you don't have the O line graders you had in recent years to propel your running game.

Doug, I to was very hopeful for this season and was expecting a 8-9 win season. With the talent we have here, the experience and the coaching staff being here this long, we should be humming! We’ve looked like we don’t even practice for a few games and haven’t prepared like a 12 year coached team in my opinion. I know the SEC is brutal, blah blah blah, . For some fans to not even be able to get their hopes up because according to them, they already know how it’s going to end is just shame full and sad. Whatever, I’m with you bud and I’m going to believe in this program if I want to. Ha.

You know, had we just put forth some effort on the coaching side every game, I could take it and move on, but getting what we get, for the effort the fans put into this just seems too one sided to me. We deserve better, as fans who have spent years and years going through what all we’ve went through, we deserve more. It sure in hell means more to me. Thanks bro.

Reactions: JrandoUK
If you listened to Stoops after the loss to Vandy, his solution to losing games is to take fewer chances on offense and play even more conservative at the end of both halves.

His risk averse, ultra conservative football mindset will never allow UK to move up the food chain.

Instead, we are on a downward spiral to the bottom of the league, once again.

Three year downward trend.

As a Gator fan this year you still have a good defense but you don't have the O line graders you had in recent years to propel your running game.
Yeah, the road graders have morphed into the stop/slow sign "holders"...holders being the operative word. I had higher hopes than many that our Oline would be serviceable due to several new additions but I guess I was wrong.

• Haha
Reactions: Lost In FL

I agree I was at Commonwealth Stadium those days and I personally agree that he has peaked. I just keep noticing CMS getting in the middle of the offensive team talking to the offensive coaches and coordinator so he is not letting the offense run the show.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT