ADVERTISEMENT

I think Cal should let J Edwards come in with Reed and Rob

Kybluedude

All-SEC
Nov 19, 2005
Edwards has talent but can’t get kick started. Flashes of his potential. Try something.

When Adou gets back start him and let Edwards come in with the other two freshmen. They are thriving in their roles. Take a bit of pressure off Justin and change the mindset. Relax. Take a cue from Rob and Reed. Boost off the bench. Watch a bit then jump in. Need to get him refocused.

And Adou has put the time and work in. Sophomore. Deserving. Certainly can be a starter. No drop off with him in there. Physical. Rebounder, defender, screener, finisher, hustles.

I think our best line-up has 3 of Reeves, Sheppard, Dillingham, and Wagner in with Mitchell or Thiero and one of our centers. So I wouldn't mind seeing him come off the bench so we could start games with a better line-up and it would make it easier to get the best players the most minutes.

I'm not anti-Edwards. I think he could use another year to get a bit stronger, quicker, and work on his shot mechanics. He's going to be a player; he's just not one of our top five players this year.

I mean I'm okay with moving Edwards to the bench eventually but a starting lineup with Mitchell, Bradshaw and Thiero sounds awful to me.

Thiero is a 4-man at this point in his career, a stretch/driving 4 man- he's not a SF in my opinion.

So if we want to bring Edwards off the bench, start Wagner/Shep/Reeves.

That being said, I like starting the game with our ground forces and then bringing in the Air Force 4 or 5 minutes into the game...."Tanks coming over the hill".

Plus the last 3-4 games we have started very hot.

I think our best line-up has 3 of Reeves, Sheppard, Dillingham, and Wagner in with Mitchell or Thiero and one of our centers.
This is indisputably true. The evidence is beyond overwhelming. The three guard lineups have played the best in every single game this season.

So I don’t know why some folks seem so resistant to starting it. We don’t need either Edwards or Thiero starting at the three. instead, just start what has very clearly worked the best all season.

If I had my choice it’s a starting five of Wagner, Dillingham, Sheppard , Edwards and Bradshaw.

But I’m not the coach. And I don’t have any D1 wins and I’m not in the HoF and I don’t see practice everyday.

But if I get a call from Cal that’s my five.

I think our best line-up has 3 of Reeves, Sheppard, Dillingham, and Wagner in with Mitchell or Thiero and one of our centers. So I wouldn't mind seeing him come off the bench so we could start games with a better line-up and it would make it easier to get the best players the most minutes.

I'm not anti-Edwards. I think he could use another year to get a bit stronger, quicker, and work on his shot mechanics. He's going to be a player; he's just not one of our top five players this year.
I think others have mentioned this - but Edwards is 20. He’s not going to be here for another year.

Reactions: St.PatterSoN-54-
This is indisputably true. The evidence is beyond overwhelming. The three guard lineups have played the best in every single game this season.

So I don’t know why some folks seem so resistant to starting it. We don’t need either Edwards or Thiero starting at the three. instead, just start what has very clearly worked the best all season.
I don’t care if Thiero starts - but I’d like to see him get 25+ mpg. If we don’t have Thiero in the KU game - we lose by a much greater margin. He can do things that no one else on this team can do.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
I mean I'm okay with moving Edwards to the bench eventually but a starting lineup with Mitchell, Bradshaw and Thiero sounds awful to me.

Thiero is a 4-man at this point in his career, a stretch/driving 4 man- he's not a SF in my opinion.

That being said, I like starting the game with our ground forces and then bringing in the Air Force 4 or 5 minutes into the game...."Tanks coming over the hill".

What do you think Thiero is next year when we have a ton of front court players? He will have to play the 3.

And if Edwards, a 23% 3-point shooter with worse handles, a lower BB IQ, and a much worse finisher than Thiero is a SF - then how is Thiero not able to be a SF?

What do you think Thiero is next year when we have a ton of front court players? He will have to play the 3.

And if Edwards, a 23% 3-point shooter with worse handles, a lower BB IQ, and a much worse finisher than Thiero is a SF - then how is Thiero not able to be a SF?

So you would rather start Thiero over Reed Sheppard if we switched the lineup?

That's really what you would want?

Or is it better to keep Thiero in his current role where he has had a ton of success. I have zero clue why we would want to do either one of those things. (Start Thiero over Sheppard, and change Thiero's role and ask him to play a new position than he has been playing and thriving in).

Neither of those make much sense to me.

It's simple, if you want to change the starting lineup, it's Sheppard for Edwards, it's that simple.

Wanting to start Thiero/Bradshaw/Mitchell together is a terrible idea- really surprised you (or anyone) would advocate for that.

So you would rather start Thiero over Reed Sheppard if we switched the lineup?

That's really what you would want?

Or is it better to keep Thiero in his current role where he has had a ton of success. I have zero clue why we would want to do either one of those things. (Start Thiero over Sheppard, and change Thiero's role and ask him to play a new position than he has been playing and thriving in).

Neither of those make much sense to me.

It's simple, if you want to change the starting lineup, it's Sheppard for Edwards, it's that simple.

Wanting to start Thiero/Bradshaw/Mitchell together is a terrible idea- really surprised you (or anyone) would advocate for that.
I literally said I don’t care if Thiero starts (in the post before my response to your comment).

I’m not advocating for who starts, etc. I’m just pointing out that the idea that Thiero is in no way, shape, or form a SF is flawed.

He played the 4 to begin the year because Tre had to play the 5. Last season, Cal played Thiero mostly at guard. So the kid is just doing whatever is asked of him. I think he can thrive as a college 3 or 4 - but he’s definitely going to play the 3 for us next year and likely has to play the 3 in the NBA.

Reactions: HagginHall1999
A lineup that starts or plays significant minutes at the same time with Theiro, Bradshaw and Mitchell isn’t beating anybody.

I’m just pointing out that the idea that Thiero is in no way, shape, or form a SF is flawed.
Has anyone actually expressed that idea? If so, I haven’t seen it.

Thiero obviously is capable of playing the three. But he ain’t our best option there. We play best when Reeves is at the three alongside two of the freshmen guards. The evidence proving this is essentially beyond dispute now.

Edwards has talent but can’t get kick started. Flashes of his potential. Try something.

When Adou gets back start him and let Edwards come in with the other two freshmen. They are thriving in their roles. Take a bit of pressure off Justin and change the mindset. Relax. Take a cue from Rob and Reed. Boost off the bench. Watch a bit then jump in. Need to get him refocused.

And Adou has put the time and work in. Sophomore. Deserving. Certainly can be a starter. No drop off with him in there. Physical. Rebounder, defender, screener, finisher, hustles.
hOw DaRe YoU sPoUt SuCh HeReSy YoU aRe NoThInG bUt A cAL hAtEr GARBLE GARBLE

Has anyone actually expressed that idea? If so, I haven’t seen it.

Thiero obviously is capable of playing the three. But he ain’t our best option there. We play best when Reeves is at the three alongside two of the freshmen guards. The evidence proving this is essentially beyond dispute now.

I expressed it, and I do not believe he is a SF at this level. At least, not a very good one. Not a starting SF of a team hoping to win a National Championship.

He is a stretch/drive 4 man right now. That is where he is best, by far IMO.

I like Mitchell and Adou playing together at the 4/5 if the other team isn't real big, but w/ AB and Ugo back it's hard to get minutes for that combo

I like Mitchell and Adou playing together at the 4/5 if the other team isn't real big, but w/ AB and Ugo back it's hard to get minutes for that combo
I’m not sure how much Bradshaw brings against size on defense. Thiero averages more rebounds and blocks per 40 minutes than Bradshaw. Maybe Bradshaw is better at post defense, but how many teams rely on posting up bigs anymore?

What should have happened is when we got bradshaw back we should have moved Thiero to the 3 and benched Edwards. That would have been the smoothest way to get him out of the starting lineup without killing his pride imo. Then by now we could be to starting Wagner Shephard Reeves Mitchell Bradshaw because that is our best starting lineup imo although im open to Thiero for bradshaw

That’s fine. But sort of an issue if Tre Mitchell gets 35mpg, mostly at the 4.

Well, Tre Mitchell shouldn't be getting 35 MPG, at least not all season- just too much for him and he's going to wear down. 30-32 is perfect for him right now.

And part of that can come at the 5 (like early in the year) when Bradshaw rotates out.

If he plays 8-10 MPG at the 5, and sits for 8-10 MPG, those are all minutes that Thiero can have.

In a 9 man rotation (which is what we have when Thiero is healthy), it's tough for everyone to get a ton of time, but 20-22 MPG for Thiero is a healthy amount IMO.

I think the point was have Edwards come off the bench to relieve the perceived pressure that is interfering with his performance. Of course the opposing argument is that will only cause more confidence issues.

It may not be a bad experiment for a game or two but so doubtful that it will happen based upon Cal's history. Every year he sticks with a 5 star not performing hoping they eventually demonstrate why they were given that rating. Historically, it has not worked out so well.

That’s a good idea, those 2 can get him easy baskets too.

Truthfully I’d love to see these lineups sometime

DJ/rob/sheppard/adou/AB

Rob/Shep/Reeves/Adou/Trey M

DJ/Rob/Sheppard/Edwards/AB or UGO.

Talk about a lineup with a lot of shooting and talent.

Boost off the bench
Unfortunately, I think the huge boost off the bench that Reed and Dilly give has a lot to do with Edwards getting off the court. Edwards seems to be the reason for the slow starts.

Agree he should not be starting, but I don’t think he would do any better coming off the bench. His minutes have been trending down the last month and he will probably being playing even less when Thiero comes back.

I hope he can start making an impact, but today is the halfway point of the regular season.

I agree. However, Edwards can’t shoot or do literally anything better than Adou. Nothing. Edwards damn sure doesn’t stretch the floor.

I expressed it, and I do not believe he is a SF at this level. At least, not a very good one. Not a starting SF of a team hoping to win a National Championship.

Maybe, but neither is Edwards. He just “looks the part”.

The March lineup should be (just based on current evidence):

G - Wagner
G - Sheppard
G - Reeves
F - Thiero
F - Mitchell
I’m a little torn on what I think the best lineup would be. I favor the same one as you, but I have to admit that I have liked the bigger Center on occasions – especially given Mitchell’s more advanced skill set. If Mitchell didn’t have the basketball IQ and skill set he’s now developed as an upperclassmen, then I wouldn’t have any hesitancy in preferring your lineup all the time. Nevertheless, when Mitchell is at Center I want Thiero at PF in front of Edwards; and when one of the Guards is not at SF for whatever reason, I want Thiero at SF in front of Edwards. Thiero currently has better SF skills than Edwards and seems to be a more physical and athletic option at the PF spot also (e.g., better rebounder and defender).

I agree with you. Thiero needs to develop/show better perimeter shooting and ball-handling to be the ideal SF. BUT I think he is a better SF option than Edwards in every way. Thiero is more skilled than Edwards.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT