ADVERTISEMENT

I still randomly think..... Wisconsin? Am I alone in this?

If I could replace losses with wins, the wisconsin loss would be way behind the losses to Texas Western, Jacksonville and UCLA in 75.

I hate that we lost but they were a great team with lots of experience.

If anything I say "UConn?!"

wisconsin-shot-clock.jpg

No, I will never get over that loss. I've never felt like a game was stolen from Kentucky quite as much as I did that game. If I felt Wisconsin straight up beat us, I'd gotten over it a long time ago. This year vs. UNC was really poorly reffed, but I got over that loss like a week later. I felt the refs in that game were blatantly doing everything they could at the end to make sure Wisconsin won. That shock clock violation, the phantom foul call on Aaron Harrison, etc. It felt like the refs had their orders and handed the game to Wisconsin to me and that makes that loss really hard to take.

That no call was so huge that they made a new rule just because of it.

Reactions: Mr_GG
I believe based on the line there was a 64% win pct.

Again leading to the belief that if we played them 100 times we probably win between 60 to 70 of them.

That game was never gonna be easy. And had we won, there was another very good team in Duke waiting on the other end

Reactions: Big_Blue79
The fact the shot clock violation screwed us, makes it hard to get over. The fact Duke went on to win another title makes it even worse.

Had we won and then beat Duke, it would have been a National Title over a team we hate (and compete with for 1-2 current teams), but it would have also been 40-0 which would never be duplicated.

It would have also taken all the criticism Cal is getting away for 1-and-done and not winning it all.

[QUOTE="specialkd24, post: 5950380, member:

It would have also taken all the criticism Cal is getting away for 1-and-done and not winning it all.[/QUOTE]

Would it tho ?

Lol i thought after 2012 that criticism would be over but it hasn't yet

I stopped taking it that serious awhile back. I have more important things to think about and worry about. Don't love my Cats any less, just realize where Sports fits into my daily life.
My dad always accused me of having a Big Blue obsession.

He said to never let a bunch of 18-21 yr olds ruin your life.

It would have also taken all the criticism Cal is getting away for 1-and-done and not winning it all.

No. Those criticizing him do so based on a philosophical disagreement. They would still criticize him IF/WHEN he wins it all.

Wisconsin's starting 5 was every bit as good as ours.
And maybe even better.

We were a lot deeper, but in the tournament games, the timeouts are longer, halftime is longer, so being deeper really only helps if a team gets into foul trouble.

Reactions: crpoore
It was not a colossal upset. Take off the homer glasses. Wisconsin was a damn good team and many picked them to win anyway.
Had that UK team won the title they would have been in the discussion for best team in the modern era. Wisconsin was good but they weren't historically good. Anything can happen in a one game scenario. I honestly feel like we choked that game away more than anything.

The fact the shot clock violation screwed us, makes it hard to get over. The fact Duke went on to win another title makes it even worse.

Had we won and then beat Duke, it would have been a National Title over a team we hate (and compete with for 1-2 current teams), but it would have also been 40-0 which would never be duplicated.

Okay when you put it that way...now I am depressed

The FF loss to Georgetown in 1984 was the worst for me. We were up 12 at halftime and clearly the better team with Bowie and Turpin having their way with Ewing. If you saw this game, there is no way you can forget that team not scoring for the first 13+ minutes of the second half.
I don't think I've ever had a bigger pig in my stomach than watching shot after shot roll around and out. Joe B could not stop the onslaught of not being able to hit a layup, a free throw, or a jumper. Total stunner and those hurt much worse than any last minute loss under Cal. The '09 WVU game was the closest thing to that '84 F4 loss I've ever witnessed as a UK fan.

Reactions: Hoopcatjc
My wife thinks I'm crazy, but it happened again today. I had a great day, we are out to eat after work and I just put my drink down and said, "Wisconsin?"

Not sure why that one stings more than any others, maybe because that team should be in the history books.

Does anyone else still have those times where you just randomly have to shake your head at that loss?

Yes. It still gets to me sometimes even now. I think that will forever be my most "heartbreaking loss" I was just so so enamored and invested and thought we really weee gonna go undefeated WHILE winning another title

My buddy had come over to watch it and we had planned to go out after

After we lost we like randomly talked for 7 min then he went home bc we were both just so sad lol

So ya, still hurts lol

Let's get honest...it sucked but what made it awful was Duke winning it. It made a hurtful loss unbearable because we all know we would've kicked Dukes ass.

Going 40-0, winning the Championship, & beating Duke all in one game would've been the greatest epic euphoric sports experience available for a UK fan. To be that close to that & instead watch Duke win it was like pouring salt & battery acid in a wound

The 2015 team succumbed to the pressure. Too many guys stopped rowing putting too much on too few. Booker, I'm looking at you. Willie, I'm looking at you. Aaron didn't play well.

We looked tight the first two rounds. Then we destroyed West Virginia but I knew that was trouble because in sports when one team completely dominates like that it's hard for them to bring their A game the next time. They expect the next team to roll over after a few punches. That's what happened against Notre Dame. Then we faced a team that had watched us dogpile on their half of the court in the last year's Final Four. A team that was talented enough to beat us anyway.

If Booker and Willie and Aaron had been playing well, we still would have won. But everyone put it on Andrew and Karl.
+ Lyles. Willie disappeared on us - but if there's anything worse than zero, it's a negative.....

You are absolutely NOT alone ! As far as I'm concerned, that was the Worst Loss In The History Of The Program !

It's the worst because it was so obviously unnecessary ! I won't get into the details, because whenever anybody who knows anything about basketball gets into the details of that game, the knives come out from behind the blue-colored glasses !

Makes me mad to think about it again right now ! Just disgusting !

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
Had that UK team won the title they would have been in the discussion for best team in the modern era. Wisconsin was good but they weren't historically good. Anything can happen in a one game scenario. I honestly feel like we choked that game away more than anything.
Don't forget, we should have lost to Notre Dame the game before.
We were fortunate to be playing Wisconsin.

We weren't nearly as good as the final 38-1 record indicates. Wisconsin was loaded, and I knew it was going to take a great effort to beat them.

These losses hurt more for me:
UCLA '75
Georgetown '84
LSU. '86
Duke '92
UNC '95
Arizona '97
UAB 2004
WVU 2010

Reactions: crpoore
And maybe even better.

We were a lot deeper, but in the tournament games, the timeouts are longer, halftime is longer, so being deeper really only helps if a team gets into foul trouble.

That's true in theory, but if you rewatch that game, the reality is both teams looked exhausted coming down the stretch.

I think people underestimate the physical toll playing in such a high profile do-or-die situation takes on the body.

As it was, Wisconsin was allowed to control the pace of the game during critical times. UK had them on the ropes coming down the stretch of the game but never were able to take advantage.

And maybe even better.

This is complete crap.

We weren't nearly as good as the final 38-1 record indicates. Wisconsin was loaded, and I knew it was going to take a great effort to beat them.

UCLA '75
Georgetown '84
LSU. '86
Duke '92
UNC '95
Arizona '97
UAB 2004
WVU 2010

Gawd, you're on a roll with awful takes. What else is new?

Why is every close win one we "should have lost"? We beat ND- a team that beat the champs TWICE and finished the postseason poll ranked #5. That's nothing to be ashamed about.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
The biggest tragedies of that '15 team:

1. Drawing the two teams that best matched up against us on our side of the bracket- Wisconsin and ND. Wisconsin being on our side was a joke.

2. On a team stacked with talent, losing our only guy who could guard a Connaghton or Decker to injury.

3. For some reason, Aaron and Booker never really got going at the same time. In fact, Booker wasn't worth a damn from February on. Freshman wall, I guess.

That Notre Dame team beat Duke by 10 points on a neutral floor in the ACC tourney in March. They weren't scrubs.

UCLA '75
Georgetown '84
LSU. '86
Duke '92
UNC '95
Arizona '97
UAB 2004
WVU 2010

we should have lost to ND?

Well , couldnt you say we "should " have beaten Wisconsin ? Up 4 with only a few min to go...

Works both ways ya know ?

UCONN beat the crap out of UK in 2011 in Maui. UK improved but so did UCONN. UK lost a hard fought game where they were not clearly the better team, both teams looked about equal by April IMO.

And 2014 lost because of no WCS IMO. No rim protector and Randle and/or Poy was hurt, I can't remember which for sure.

Rack.

wisconsin-shot-clock.jpg

No, I will never get over that loss. I've never felt like a game was stolen from Kentucky quite as much as I did that game. If I felt Wisconsin straight up beat us, I'd gotten over it a long time ago. This year vs. UNC was really poorly reffed, but I got over that loss like a week later. I felt the refs in that game were blatantly doing everything they could at the end to make sure Wisconsin won. That shock clock violation, the phantom foul call on Aaron Harrison, etc. It felt like the refs had their orders and handed the game to Wisconsin to me and that makes that loss really hard to take.

The similarities to 1991 were staggering. We were the hated team just like UNLV and BS officiating determined the game and both teams lost their undefeated seasons in Indiana, home of the NCAA.

The Wisconsin loss hurt, but they all hurt. At least with Wisconsin there's the knowledge that we cost them a title the year before. They would have beaten UConn.

I would give anything for us to have lost to them in 2014 so they could win it all and so we could get 2015. They would've won in 2014 and we would've won in 2015.

We both screwed the pooch on this.

UCLA '75
Georgetown '84
LSU. '86
Duke '92
UNC '95
Arizona '97
UAB 2004
WVU 2010
You guys are getting too caught up in what happened in a one game and you're out tournament. The best team does not always win that thing. Most years there is a team or two that would clearly win the tourney in a seven game series scenario.

The only time I remember saying, to myself, "Wisconsin!", is the instant Alex went down. Texted my buddy and told him we had a problem...and we did.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT