ADVERTISEMENT

I see Rivals dropped Perry 10 spots

I don't know if it's UK hate, as much as it is college basketball protecting its money makers: notably Duke and UNC. The only rivalry game that draws in casual fans outside of march madness.

We saw it in some of Cals early years, where Duke players would somehow get invited to the McDonalds AA game when they were ranked well below other more worthy recruits.

So it's not so much about hating UK (although we're certainly not liked by the NCAA and ESPN).. it's more about paving the way for Duke and UNC.

I don't know if it's UK hate, as much as it is college basketball protecting its money makers: notably Duke and UNC. The only rivalry game that draws in casual fans outside of march madness.

We saw it in some of Cals early years, where Duke players would somehow get invited to the McDonalds AA game when they were ranked well below other more worthy recruits.

So it's not so much about hating UK (although we're certainly not liked by the NCAA and ESPN).. it's more about paving the way for Duke and UNC.
Like Bronny?

Reactions: Cowtown Cat

All the more reason to despise those programs. I mean UNC literally missed the tourney last season. Davis is completely unproven outside of getting hot at the right time. Same goes for Scheyer.

Man, must be nice to be protected like them and KU. Kentucky would have the title lead already if we had that kind of Teflon

If you wo
Probably immediately after he committed to Kentucky.

Seriously, what is up with the Kentucky hate?

After we upset Kansas tonight we will probably drop another notch in the AP!

Duh, If you would just look at how bad we have played the last 8 years....you could see why nobody respects us anymore.

Rivals has Fland way too low as well.

Regardless, I love our class. We've got two old-school bangers down low, an elite guard, and a solid in-state role player who can shoot lights out.

We'll add Richmond soon, and probably Knox and/or Peterson in the spring/summer.

Bring back Sheppard, Thiero, Burks, Onyenso, and Hart and I like that team.

247 rates kids based on basketball abilities to determine their rating such as: shooting, passing, defense, hustle, going to Duke, etc.

He must be lacking in one of these areas since he dropped.
247 describes Perry as a high IQ player on offense. Can score off the dribble, shoot the 3 and distributes well. Tough and hard nosed, has a knack for making the right play. On defense plays with good intensity and also is a high IQ player on that end. Has great feel and instincts for the game.

You read that it has to make you smile we got this player. Sounds like an all around solid player. Only negative I remember it said he doesn't have a high ceiling and his size. But it sounds like he consistently gets the most out of his ability. And playing with pro's every day in practice and in an athletic league will just sharpen his game more.

Rivals has Fland way too low as well.

Regardless, I love our class. We've got two old-school bangers down low, an elite guard, and a solid in-state role player who can shoot lights out.

We'll add Richmond soon, and probably Knox and/or Peterson in the spring/summer.

Bring back Sheppard, Thiero, Burks, Onyenso, and Hart and I like that team.
Peterson looks damn good. Reminds me of a smoother Malik Monk.

take away the ranking and just get pure hoopers. Get Jasper to reclass and have a potential line up of Jasper, Perry and Sheppard. All three Kentucky kids all three pure hoopers.

Reactions: FtWorthCat
247 describes Perry as a high IQ player on offense. Can score off the dribble, shoot the 3 and distributes well. Tough and hard nosed, has a knack for making the right play. On defense plays with good intensity and also is a high IQ player on that end. Has great feel and instincts for the game.

You read that it has to make you smile we got this player. Sounds like an all around solid player. Only negative I remember it said he doesn't have a high ceiling and his size. But it sounds like he consistently gets the most out of his ability. And playing with pro's every day in practice and in an athletic league will just sharpen his game more.
Sounds like Kyle Macy's (or at least Patrick Sparks') high school recruiting report might have sounded :).

Last edited:
Reactions: tomrain
I'd actually take it as a honor to be dropped by the guys Rivals employs right now as their "experts".

Would love to hear your thoughts on Perry, ralphdaltonfan. I'm biased because I grew up 20 minutes from Perry, albeit 40 years removed. His high school is so small they don't even have a football team. They went 8-19 when Perry was in 6th grade. They went 21-10 and he averaged 21 ppg as a 7th grader. He has already taken them to the Sweet 16 quarterfinals, twice. They hadn't been to the Sweet 16 since 1951. It's one thing (Dontaie Allen) to score a ton of points, it's quite another to win at a level never seen previously. He isn't a one man team, two of his buddies have played since 7th grade as well. But I don't think there are any other D1 players on his team.

Last edited:

You can have all these attributes, but the best ability is signing to Duke evidently.

Peterson looks damn good. Reminds me of a smoother Malik Monk.
Sacrilege, Ritchie. Peterson may end up being a better basketball player – after all Monk basically only played offense (excluding offensive rebounding, of course) – but I don’t think they’ve ever made a player who looked smoother moving around the court and pulling up for jump shots than Malik Monk.

Reactions: RunninRichie
Would love to hear your thoughts on Perry, ralphdaltonfan. I'm biased because I grew up 20 minutes from Perry, albeit 40 years removed. His high school is so small they don't even have a football team. They went 8-19 when Perry was in 6th grade. They went 21-10 and he averaged 21 ppg as a 7th grader. He has already taken them to the Sweet 16 quarterfinals, twice. They hadn't been to the Sweet 16 since 1951. It's one thing (Dontaie Allen) to score a ton of points, it's quite another to win at a level never seen previously. He isn't a one man team, two of his buddies have played since 7th grade as well. But I don't think there are any other D1 players on his team.
I am not as high on Perry as I was/am with Reed in that I think Travis has shown more as a projectable player to be a role guy who has improve to increase his role where Reed's mere presence on the court makes the team better. Travis will have to hit shots. Now that being said-the guy can hit shots. That is a talent. For anyone who disagrees-go watch last night's game. Could've used that shot making. I also think he'll benefit from playing next to a guy like Fland and with someone like Reed in that they are unselfish and all about winning. The good shot gets passed for a better shot. I think having rim protection helps him defensively--crowd and make them drive and you'll have help. He's used to playing with Bidunga so he's done that in AAU ball.

I'm happy that program kept the 2 most talked about instate guys home back to back years when many didn't think it possible. And if I'm going to take a flyer on a guy--Perry is definitely not a risk because you never have enough shot makers. Shooting is a talent that I place above all skills because it opens up the game for teammates and creates momentum swings (look at Dilly on his heater last night or Reed's big shot making).

SEC will be challenging for him defensively but I am fine with that as it's that way for every player no matter their skill or athleticism.

Cyril dropped as well. Miami, UNCheats, dook, Creighton, Bama and some undecided recruits seem to have jumped the most.

Not to mention, UK is STILL no longer ranked at all on the 2023 team rankings. 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Cyril dropped as well. Miami, UNCheats, dook, Creighton, Bama and some undecided recruits seem to have jumped the most.

Not to mention, UK is STILL no longer ranked at all on the 2023 team rankings. 🤣

I also think ESPN has a tendency to move uncommitted guys up to generate buzz. "The last remaining top10 guy chooses..."

All the more reason to despise those programs. I mean UNC literally missed the tourney last season. Davis is completely unproven outside of getting hot at the right time. Same goes for Scheyer.

Man, must be nice to be protected like them and KU. Kentucky would have the title lead already if we had that kind of Teflon
Easily! Would have around 15 IMHO. Hell, 4/5 since Cal’s arrival. I honestly believe that.

Lmao! Cyril is sooooo underrated it’s unreal. Also, lmao that Kentucky’s class isn’t in the top SEVENTY! What a joke! 🤣

Reactions: susan2361
Good to see both Perry and Quaintance officially sign their papers and Quaintance saying he will be staying in Lexington for two years if all goes well year 1.

Please provide one example of this? Because there isn't one.

Please provide one example of this? Because there isn't one.

Matt Jones 36th ranked recruit on ESPN. If he's not the lowest ranked recruit on the MCDAA (I believe he is, but it's hard to tell without going one by one), he's certainly at the bottom.

It was literally the first year I picked, 2013, and within seconds it was clear as can be. Matt Jones, not even a 5 star recruit or in the top25, picked ahead of others for the MCDAA.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT