Aug 16, 2018
Rivals has the class as follows:

#5 Edgecombe
#10 Fland
#11 Quaintance
#20 Richmond
#44 Cyril
#92 Perry

That would be another #1 group and probably one of Cals 2-3 best at UK.

May God have mercy on the rest of college basketball.

Reactions: jameslee32
I would be happy with it, but would prefer another top10 guy. I know we're high on Somto and Fland, but they could wind up taking time to develop.. and we're going to need a lot of help early next year as we could be losing like 8 guys.

I'd like to see if we could get another reclass if one becomes available, like a Jasper Johnson.

I'm also confident that if Kentucky needs some other position, say another PG.. we will grab one from the portal. Cal is making Kentucky desirable again, even if that's mostly because of Welch.. but it will be huge anytime we need someone to come in. I expect Kentucky to do even better with the transfer portal going forward, and honestly, that might be a better play than a 4-star freshman recruit.

From a rankings perspective, it's great. However, the 2024 class is supposedly be pretty awful. I'm hoping that UK hits the transfer portal and we have some key pieces returning.

Last edited:
2 of our top 7 players (Thiero and Sheppard) were recently severely overlooked. I bet Reeves and Mitchell were, too, 5 or 6 years ago. So, 4 of our best players. How many more would it take for hand-wringing over rankings to move from comic to bizarre?

I don’t think Edgecombe is coming here. I hope I’m wrong.

#5 Edgecombe
#10 Fland
#11 Quaintance
#20 Richmond
#44 Cyril
#92 Perry

If he commits, is this the greatest collection of talent in college basketball history?

This class worries me a little unless we add Edgecombe or Peterson and a good big man from the transfer portal for a few reasons. Cyril may be pretty raw offensively, Quaintance is offensively gifted but very young and may take him some time to adapt, can Richmond shoot, not sold on Fland, Perry is a toss up for me. Definitely need Sheppard and Thiero to stay.

Last edited:
From what we are seeing of Perry he may wind up being the steal of the entire class (I mean nationwide).

I am really digging what Cal is doing with OTE as well. Feel like these guys are further along than most Freshmen.

Need to retain Thiero, Ugo/Z and hopefully Shep due to NIL and legacy.

This class worries me a little unless we add Edgecombe or Peterson and a good big man from the transfer portal for a few reasons. Cyril may be pretty raw offensively, Quaintance is offensively gifted but very young and may take him some time to adapt, can Richmond shoot, not sold on Fland, Perry is a toss up for me. Definitely need Sheppard and Thiero to stay.
This.

I’m not sure there’s room for a transfer big.

Quaintance and Cyril will get most of the minutes at the 5.

Thiero and Burks will get most of the minutes at the 4.

We need another wing, because I see Thiero as a college 4, not a 3, and Richmond isn’t a starter at the 3, IMHO.

Ideally, we need a couple of wing scorers, IMHO.

We should be pretty good at the 4 and 5.

Reactions: Samurai Cat

#5 Edgecombe
#10 Fland
#11 Quaintance
#20 Richmond
#44 Cyril
#92 Perry

I know class X #10 does not necessarily equal class Y #10. But that would be middle is the pack in Cal classes, behind 9-10, 11-12, 13-14, 15, 16-17, 17-18, 23-24.

Reactions: Padsfs07
#5 Edgecombe
#10 Fland
#11 Quaintance
#20 Richmond
#44 Cyril
#92 Perry

Is not even a top 5 class in the Calipari era. However, there is some positives. One, we are likely to get 2 starter-level players returning in Sheppard and Thiero, along with Onyenso. Two, these guys all have 1 or 2 really elite traits, like Perry with his shooting. Three, Quaintance is really young so he could really develop quickly once he gets here.

#5 Edgecombe
#10 Fland
#11 Quaintance
#20 Richmond
#44 Cyril
#92 Perry

Is not even a top 5 class in the Calipari era. However, there is some positives. One, we are likely to get 2 starter-level players returning in Sheppard and Thiero, along with Onyenso. Two, these guys all have 1 or 2 really elite traits, like Perry with his shooting. Three, Quaintance is really young so he could really develop quickly once he gets here.
Additionally, don't we have Quaintance for two years?

#5 Edgecombe
#10 Fland
#11 Quaintance
#20 Richmond
#44 Cyril
#92 Perry

I’ll take that scenario.

That would give us a great 9-man rotation, at least on paper:

G Sheppard/Perry
G Fland
G Edgecombe/Richmond
F Thiero/Quaintance
F Onyenso/Cyril

And Burks and Hart may also be back.

Another guard/wing shooter might be nice to add, though.

But getting Sheppard back is priority numero uno and getting Edgecombe is a very close second.

Reactions: Samurai Cat
I’m not sure there’s room for a transfer big.

Quaintance and Cyril will get most of the minutes at the 5.

Thiero and Burks will get most of the minutes at the 4.

We need another wing, because I see Thiero as a college 4, not a 3, and Richmond isn’t a starter at the 3, IMHO.

Ideally, we need a couple of wing scorers, IMHO.

We should be pretty good at the 4 and 5.
We won’t know how good or capable these guys are until they get here. Richmond is rated high enough and athletic enough to easily start IMO. Just depends on how good they are and how much they improve. I agree, I’d love to add a Reeves type scorer in the portal. A Mitchell tyre would be good as well. 2 players we can rely on just about every night while the freshman develop.

I’ll take that scenario.

That would give us a great 9-man rotation, at least on paper:

G Sheppard/Perry
G Fland
G Edgecombe/Richmond
F Thiero/Quaintance
F Onyenso/Cyril

And Burks and Hart may also be back.

Another guard/wing shooter might be nice to add, though.

But getting Sheppard back is priority numero uno and getting Edgecombe is a very close second.
I think Burks could be good next year. And would give Hart the edge over Perry, think he just needs to get stronger which I’m sure will happen this summer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT