ADVERTISEMENT

I now see why JC gets the big bucks

ColonelCat

Junior
Jan 8, 2003
When he replaced Reeves with Dilly, and Dilly just played great to the end. If I were coach. I would have left reeves in (our leading scorer). But it turned out well and we won a game I thought with about 5 minutes to go, we were going to lose. Good move as Dilly got hot and we won going away. Go Cats

Last edited:
Dilly needed to be in bc he can get to wherever on the floor and press the issue when needed. We don’t have long drawn out possessions running offense so when down 5-9 and time started to be a factor…it’s nice to have someone who can immediately get the defense on their heels and make something happen…just have tk hope that “something” is a good something 2 outta 3 possessions.

But I still would have had Reeves in over Wagner to have your most consistent scorer in the floor for any kickouts. And Reeves isn’t a liability on Defense like last season. If you think Wagner gives slightly better in ball D then that’s the only argument to have him in late over Reeves but long term I don’t think having your best scorer on the bench is a recipe for late game situations.

Everybody has been making a big deal about Reeves not being in the last mins. I’ve cussed at Cal many times for this in the past but today it was simply that Reeves was just gonna get a min or two break then go back in. The freshness of Rob and Justin helped ignite the team and went on an explosive run. There was no need for Antonio to go back in at that point.

Not having Reeves in the final 8 minutes of the game is coaching malpractice. We won in spite of Cal not because of him.
The plus minus stats don’t lie . Our best lineup by far is with Dilly, Reeves and Reed all playing together . It’s impossible to defend . They should play as much as they can barring foul trouble .
We got very lucky today playing our less than best lineup .
Btw Reeves defense and the fact he is a mature sr. Also dictate he should have been in the last eight minutes .

Cal had the Nuclear Four out there plus DJ so I'm good with it. His reason for having Reeves on the bench was to get him a breather and at that point the team was already rolling so he just stuck with that lineup. Can't argue against that. Cal coached a good game

Not having Reeves in the final 8 minutes of the game is coaching malpractice. We won in spite of Cal not because of him.
The plus minus stats don’t lie . Our best lineup by far is with Dilly, Reeves and Reed all playing together . It’s impossible to defend . They should play as much as they can barring foul trouble .
Btw Reeves defense and the fact he is a mature sr. Also dictate he should have been in the last eight minutes .
If the plus minus stat don’t lie, it’s kinda hypocritical to criticize Cal when we went from down 6 to winning by 9 in those final 8 minutes with the all freshmen, hot lineup. Cal read his team and made the right call. Reeves had 5 TOs today. He still got his usual 20 but it’s okay to say Cal pulled the right levers down the stretch

Everybody has been making a big deal about Reeves not being in the last mins. I’ve cussed at Cal many times for this in the past but today it was simply that Reeves was just gonna get a min or two break then go back in. The freshness of Rob and Justin helped ignite the team and went on an explosive run. There was no need for Antonio to go back in at that point.
Yeah, I agree with everything you said. My thought was that Reeves needed to be in at that point. And I'm sure you're right, it was likely just going to be a short breather for Antonio and then he'd go back in. But now Dillingham is making plays and Edwards played about as well as we've seen him play in that last stretch. He had multiple defensive plays, which we weren't getting earlier. I'm sure Calipari intended for Reeves to go back in, but the way it turned out was great. I can't see how it could have been any better than it was.

That was a great ending to a tough game. I thought we were gonna lose with about 7 minutes left. The team was great down the stretch- multiple players made plays. They were all executing and defending. It is a great sign when your entire team fights so hard and does what is needed to get the win. If we've learned anything about this team in these last 2 games, it's that they're gonna fight to the finish to get the win. It's a great sign. 👍

The thing with coaching is that a adjustment in the heat of the moment can make you look like a genius or an idiot and sometimes both.. lol Thank God it worked out today but I would have put Reeves in when Ark starting fouling at the end just because he’s our best FT shooter.

Maybe could have brought in Reeves late for potential FTs but you can’t fault Cal for sticking with the 5 that was working the last 7 minutes of the game. I believe most Coaches would have done the same.

Cal had the Nuclear Four out there plus DJ so I'm good with it. His reason for having Reeves on the bench was to get him a breather and at that point the team was already rolling so he just stuck with that lineup. Can't argue against that. Cal coached a good game
I thought he left Tre in way too long when we were trying to claw back. I like Tre and he's good but just like DJ he hasn't played in a month and looks rusty. He had no business in there down 8.

Z needs more mins too. We were down 8 when he finally got in and the rest is history. Z bothers guts inside even when he doesn't block their shot. Bradshaw did well on offense but nothing on D. Ugo looks defeated. Z gives us offense and defense and should be the guy the rest of the way.

I thought he left Tre in way too long when we were trying to claw back. I like Tre and he's good but just like DJ he hasn't played in a month and looks rusty. He had no business in there down 8.

Z needs more mins too. We were down 8 when he finally got in and the rest is history. Z bothers guts inside even when he doesn't block their shot. Bradshaw did well on offense but nothing on D. Ugo looks defeated. Z gives us offense and defense and should be the guy the rest of the way.
This was my one coaching gripe for the game...tre's coming off injury, he's not played in a couple of weeks, he's not going to be sharp. As soon as it became apparent that we were in a dogfight, tre should've been done for the day.

Funny you say the plus/minus stats don't lie, because for this game Reeves was a -2. Third lowest on the team. And he had the second most minutes.

Can’t live and die when Reeves isn’t scoring or defending like the 2nd half today like last year . Huge balls move by Cal benching him last 8 mins but it worked out

Reactions: IL Wildcat
When he replaced Reeves with Dilly, and Dilly just played great to the end. If I were coach. I would have left reeves in (our leading scorer). But it turned out well and we won a game I thought with about 5 minutes to go, we were going to lose. Good move as Dilly got hot and we won going away. Go Cats
Because he makes things as hard as humanly possible. Starts a team he would never finish with, etc...

It doesn't have to be this hard with this much talent.
i win square peg in a round hole GIF

• Love
Reactions: KFuqua and Girthang
Dilly delivered. It did appear though he was playing with a "I'm gonna win it" mindset. Some of his shots were/appeared out of control.....BUT they went in so that's ok.

He did make some very nice lobs to Z.

Glad he had a good game. Gonna need him in the Dance.

Funny you say the plus/minus stats don't lie, because for this game Reeves was a -2. Third lowest on the team. And he had the second most minutes.
,you go by the year stats. Not even close that having Reed, Dilly and Reeves in the game is our best lineup. They open up stuff for each other and Z who is also our best option at Center but he needs to rest . They don’t .

Yep, exactly what Cal said post game.. hadnt had a break. Was going to give him 1-2 minutes, but that freshmen group was playing well. so went with them.

Instead of second guessing every Calipari lineup move, I enjoy the fact that this year, Calipari has options.

How can you not realize Cal subbed Dillingham perfectly today? He was a bit sporadic the first half. Taking layups that he obviously was not going to make, etc.

He subs him in (FOR AN ALL AMERICAN) because Reeves needs a breather. Dillingham takes the game over and Cal rides with him.

When we have this many talented players on the roster there is no perfect equation. You see who is hot in the moment and let them play. Same with Reed last game. If Dillingham would have turned it over immediately Reeves would have subbed back in.

Same with Edwards. He came in cold and buried Arkansas. Game over because of him at the end. The dude played like 13 minutes.

We won. Be happy. We have tons of talented players.

I'm not sure what the exact reasoning is, but Reeves was getting stuck to like glue for most of that game. Sure he got his shots to go. But, it seemed like we needed that next level NBA-type of scorer, which is Dilly. Ballsy coaching move, but, it paid off.
Dillingham went 5-13 (39%). Reeves went 8-10 (80%)

80% is pretty NBA level scoring.

Until the last 5 minutes, Dillingham was meh. I'm glad he did, but his success was surprising.

I believe if we have started Shepherd, Dilligham, Reeves, Z and take your pick we would have easily won by twenty plus and not been in the position we were in . Glad we won but it was in spite of coaching and not because of it.
Reeves, shepherd, and Dilly should Play together and one should only come out when in foul trouble or tired . That would give number 21 , 15 minutes or so a game which is what he should have at this point .
As was pointed out in the pregame we have three of the best three point shooters ever on this UK team. They open it up for each other and the bigs.
If you include Z the foursome is shooting 47 % from three point range . That’s awesome, ridiculous, incredible. USE THAT TO OUR ADVANTAGE FOR GOD ‘S SAKE .
Z is also the best defender of our three bigs .

Reeves was getting abused today lol
Took him out for a breather
Should have taken out the hot hand and put Reeves back in smh

Reeves in: 75-77
Reeves out: 36-25

Wagner in: 70-68
Wagner out: 41-34

Reed in: 95-86
Reed out: 16-16

Dilly in: 74-56
Dilly out: 37-46

• Love
Reactions: ukfan1622
He doesn't get the money for substitutions. Anybody can make those. He gets it for the first 5 years performance and for scamming the AD on a new contract.

Reactions: KFuqua and crestcat
Cal took Antonio out because he needed a breather. Have y’all ever played basketball before? Dude was gassed. Jay Wright (who everyone on here drools over) even said that exact thing on the broadcast. Then the lineup that was in started going off, so Cal stuck with it. Pretty simple.

You have no insight into any of these players or rotations. Things are happening on the floor and on the sideline that you would never understand. Cal and his staff have been doing this a long time, but your opinion of the lineups for Kentucky basketball are better?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT