ADVERTISEMENT

I LOVE this

KY media couldn't deal with Saban, he considers every question a personal attack from nothing more than minions.

Oh I know, he would eat them up with the questions they ask. Stoops is always really respectful and even goes out of his way to brush off the dumb questions they sometimes ask. This was probably one of only a handful of times I've seen him lose his cool a bit, but I can't blame him. He's working his butt off coaching and recruiting to change the perception of Kentucky football, and you have beat writers acting shocked that Kentucky feels like they're a legitimate contender in the wide open SEC East.

Reactions: Bigbluetrue
Kyle snt bad, coverage wise, but I am also tired of these "UK media" guys making fun of the thought of winning.

Reactions: jnewc2
You're telling me a QB of the team the guy covers makes a comment about making it to the SEC championship and he's not supposed to ask about it??? Name me any reporter that covers any school that would not have asked that question if interviewing the next day??? Didn't sense anything negative there. Towles made a comment that could be perceived as borderline cocky on a national program, so a reporter sked his coach how he felt about it. Seems like par for the course to me?

Those same media reps have been there through the joker years. If they can't see the change for themselves then they will never change.

What did I miss? I would hardly call that response "letting someone have it". He was asked about Towles' "newsworthy" reply to Finebaum and he responded, IMO, appropriately. It is not the media's job to engage in speculation or cheerleading. Their job is to report. I think most reasonable observers will say UK will be improved this year and likely win a few more SEC games than they have lately but tagging them as even a dark horse contender in the SECE is, IMO, an optimistic stretch. But winning some this year will almost certainly change perceptions and expectations for next year.

Peace

What did I miss? I would hardly call that response "letting someone have it". He was asked about Towles' "newsworthy" reply to Finebaum and he responded, IMO, appropriately. It is not the media's job to engage in speculation or cheerleading. Their job is to report. I think most reasonable observers will say UK will be improved this year and likely win a few more SEC games than they have lately but tagging them as even a dark horse contender in the SECE is, IMO, an optimistic stretch. But winning some this year will almost certainly change perceptions and expectations for next year.

Peace

You must not watch many Stoops' interviews. I've watched all of them and that was BY FAR the most testy he's ever gotten with the media.

Last edited:
Reactions: dmill4444
You're telling me a QB of the team the guy covers makes a comment about making it to the SEC championship and he's not supposed to ask about it??? Name me any reporter that covers any school that would not have asked that question if interviewing the next day??? Didn't sense anything negative there. Towles made a comment that could be perceived as borderline cocky on a national program, so a reporter sked his coach how he felt about it. Seems like par for the course to me?

It's the way he asked the question..I guess some were expecting a punch in the face, but by Stoops' standards that's the most testy you're ever going to see him get with the media. And it's the way he asked the question..he insinuated that it was silly for Towles to believe that..there's a reason Stoops was looking around like he was about to choke someone..these guys have a solid team this year and you have guys like Tucker who think that everyone looks at Kentucky football like he does

Last edited:
Give it a break. You probably say that about, literally, all Kentucky media. The man does a good job, and offers more Kentucky football info than most people do.

Tucker is a Prima Donna..he acts like he's Ernest Hemingway and has a reputation for treating people badly and talking down to people.there's a reason none of the sports talk shows in Kentucky ever have the guy on..no one likes him because of the way he treats people..he talks down to his peers and thinks he's better than he is..not to mention the fact that he's always underselling the football team. He asks questions where he insinuates that the goal for the team is only 6 wins and the coaches look at him like he's crazy. He's a basketball-first guy covering football. He's basically a poor man's Matt Jones

Last edited:
I guess some of these geniuses were expecting a punch in the face when you said he was letting him have it. They obviously don't watch many interviews with Stoops. That's the angriest I've ever seen him around the media and it's not even close.

Last edited:
Kyle does a good job. I'm sure he wasn't offended by Stoops.

Offended by Stoops? You're kidding right? If anyone should be offended it would be Stoops. Dude is working his butt off and Tucker acts shocked that the players are confident

Last edited:
I wouldn't call it getting testy. Let's remember, Stoops commented when he got here he wanted to compete in the East and some fans took that and ran with it unfairly. When UK won 2 games those comments were thrown back in his face.

I agree with Stoops, it's great to have confidence and what do you want the kid to say. But looking at UK, those comments are laughable for the media and people who have been around UK football a long time it brings a smirk to your face when people say that. Think Rex Ryan and his comments about the Bills making the playoffs of his Jets winning a Super Bowl. It makes the media smirk

The dog days of training camp are wearing on everyone from the coaching staff to the players. They are tired of the grind, hitting each and distractions of any kind. CMS knows and is "lighting a fire" under everyone in his sight. The good news is our quarterback believes, the bad news is CMS is not satisfied with the team on both sides of the ball. Translation: this team is ready to hit someone other than themselves and get this season started.

I love the responses of both player and coach. Seriously. What the hell are they playing for if not to collect the hardware? We have some quality football players on this team. I hope the media aren't the only people expecting them to be meek and deferential. They are not going to be either this year. Coach was not just stirring the pot the last two days. He is genuinely disappointed, and is letting them know it because he wants the required level of focus and execution, and wants a SALTY football team come 9/5/15.

It's the way he asked the question dude..I guess you were expecting a punch in the face, but by Stoops' standards that's the most testy you're ever going to see him get with the media. And it's the way he asked the question..he insinuated that it was silly for Towles to believe that..there's a reason Stoops was looking around like he was about to choke someone..these guys have a solid team this year and you have guys like Tucker who think that everyone looks at Kentucky football like he does
guess i missed that. You can barely even hear Tucker in the vid and stoops answer is real short. maybe somoen should post the whole interv?

I think what pissed him off was Tucker saying Towles was "making some waves" with the comment about going to Atlanta.

If I were in Coach Stoops spot I would be pissed too and probably have had a few choice words with Tucker off air.

I wouldn't call it getting testy. Let's remember, Stoops commented when he got here he wanted to compete in the East and some fans took that and ran with it unfairly. When UK won 2 games those comments were thrown back in his face.

I agree with Stoops, it's great to have confidence and what do you want the kid to say. But looking at UK, those comments are laughable for the media and people who have been around UK football a long time it brings a smirk to your face when people say that. Think Rex Ryan and his comments about the Bills making the playoffs of his Jets winning a Super Bowl. It makes the media smirk

That's testy by Stoops standards...probably not testy by Nick Saban standards but definitely by Stoops'. He never loses his cool like that (and yes, that's losing his cool..if you don't think that's testy then you don't watch Stoops talk to the media and I've linked some videos to help). Maybe people were expecting a yelling or shoving match when I said testy, I have no clue..but testy is a relative term just like anything else..What's testy for Nick Saban isn't going to be testy for Stoops. Testy for Saban would be choking a reporter..testy for Stoops is when he's sweating & his face is blood red and eyes are huge and the tone of his voice isn't exactly friendly. If you're looking for a post to attack me that's fine, but this isn't the one to do it.

Here this should help.

Normal Stoops (aka 99.9% of the time, aka 364 days out of the year)..notice the tone of his voice being normal/friendly, notice his eyes not bulging out of his head, notice him smiling and joking with the media

Now compare that to this:

I thought this stuff was evident but to determine a person's emotions you listen to the tone of their voice, you look at their mannerisms. Pretty basic stuff

Last edited:
Tucker is a Prima Donna..you obviously don't follow the Kentucky media closely or you would know that the guy acts like he's Ernest Hemingway and has a reputation for treating people badly..there's a reason none of the sports talk shows in Kentucky ever have the guy on..no one likes him..he talks down to his peers and thinks he's better than he is..not to mention the fact that he's always underselling the football team. He asks questions where he insinuates that the goal for the team is only 6 wins and the coaches look at him like he's crazy. He's a basketball-first guy covering football. He's basically a poor man's Matt Jones

I actually respect Tucker, but to each his own. The rest of the guys at the Louisville Cardinal-Journal are basically shameless shills for UL, but IMO Tucker seems to be pretty fair in his coverage of UK.

I guess my other comment would be, what do you expect? When is the last time UK competed for an SEC title??? I'm all in with Mark Stoops, but when you have the history of UK football, the only way you change it is by winning. I have no problem with what Toles said, or his confidence, but I'm not sure why we should expect anyone to take us too seriously at this point. Come out and win 7-8 games and that will change. v Till we do that, expect the media to doubt us...and frankly, for good reason.

Again, UK fans being a bit sensitive.

Generally the people who say "Oh, that's just UK fans being sensitive" are generally proven wrong rather quickly. This is a message board where things peripheral to the actual game itself are discussed. If you don't believe Stoops was angry I don't know what to tell you. I would just have to say you're not very good at reading a person's emotions, but to each their own

Last edited:
Reactions: woodson991

Peace

You obviously don't watch Stoops talk much lol

Peace

That is absolutely Stoops "letting someone have it". Stoops never gets angry like that. I guess some of these people have never watched him talk. I thought he was going to punch someone haha some of these guys obviously aren't very good at judging a person's tone of voice

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT