ADVERTISEMENT

Is it just me or are both Wolford and Shorts hitting the ground running re: recruiting?

gamecockcat

All-SEC
Oct 29, 2004
Maybe it's selective memory, but sure seems like we're at least mentioned by several more than normal OL and WR/Ath already this recruiting cycle. Is that due to the newcomers or it's about what we've seen in the past?

Wolford is a recruiter from Oline standpoint…he’s a guy that gets it done as a recruiter but guys don’t enjoy playing for him

I’m not surprised at all he’s creating buzz
True re OL but pretty sure Wolford was primary recruiter on Walker and was mid-TN recruiter, at least secondary recruiter, on Barion Brown, Shamar Porter, the Wades.

I think we have dramatically upgraded our recruiting at WR coach, O line coach, & QB coach/OC from last year to this one
1. I agree Wolford is better than Yenser (even if he's a jerk)
2. I agree Woodard was not a good WR coach.....the new guy is more than likely better than his predecessor.
3. I know Coen left a bitter taste in his mouth...but he got results.
Amazing with Levis and average-ish with Leary.
We ran the ball fine both Coen years
We had greatest WR year in school history with Wandale

I am not sold yet Hamdan is better than Coen....and I can't see a world that he is "dramatically upgrade" over Coen.

Reactions: EKCAT4YRS
1. I agree Wolford is better than Yenser (even if he's a jerk)
2. I agree Woodard was not a good WR coach.....the new guy is more than likely better than his predecessor.
3. I know Coen left a bitter taste in his mouth...but he got results.
Amazing with Levis and average-ish with Leary.
We ran the ball fine both Coen years
We had greatest WR year in school history with Wandale

I am not sold yet Hamdan is better than Coen....and I can't see a world that he is "dramatically upgrade" over Coen.
Let's let Hamdan coach the first series of the first game before we start slicing and dicing.

Let's let Hamdan coach the first series of the first game before we start slicing and dicing.
Sure....and let's let him coach the first series before we label him "dramatic upgrade"...it cuts both ways.

I just hope Wolford does not change horses in mid-stream and recruit for some other school like he has already done. Still burns me up.
If he does that this time, he will owe UK virtually his ENTIRE contract salary. That should make him much more loyal this time around.

Reactions: bluecoon1
Sure....and let's let him coach the first series before we label him "dramatic upgrade"...it cuts both ways.
I never said Hamdan would/will be a "dramatic upgrade" and you know it. Don't put words in my mouth.

I'm just talking recruiting.....we'll see in Sept how these 3 new coaches units perform on the field
Yeah....for sure. Yenser was even less of a recruiter than he was a coach (and he's one of the worst Oline coaches I've seen at UK).

Woodard....I'd have to agree...he came up short on recruiting for a WR coach....which is prime recruiter spot.

But again Coen....his NFL presence alone got Levis to UK, Wandale came due to his offensive philosophy and then Leary, Stone Saunders, Vandagriff, etc...were all here due to Liam. And I'd argue Key in particular is here due to the offensive philosophy.

I think Hamdan will be OK....but he has to follow a good coach at UK in Coen IMO.

But again Coen....his NFL presence alone got Levis to UK, Wandale came due to his offensive philosophy and then Leary, Stone Saunders, Vandagriff, etc...were all here due to Liam. And I'd argue Key in particular is here due to the offensive philosophy.

I think Hamdan will be OK....but he has to follow a good coach at UK in Coen IMO.
Hamden did lure a former 5 Star QB to Boise St., similar to what Coen did with Vandegriff, that he was willing to leave to get the UK OC job. I look at that as a positive.

Hopefully he can do the same here.

Yeah....for sure. Yenser was even less of a recruiter than he was a coach (and he's one of the worst Oline coaches I've seen at UK).

Woodard....I'd have to agree...he came up short on recruiting for a WR coach....which is prime recruiter spot.

I'm not making any excuses for Yenser - he dramatically failed to live up to expectations. But...I do have to give him some credit that Flax certainly improved a lot, the overall OL gave up a lot fewer sacks last year, the running game, while inconsistent, produced really good numbers in toto, etc. I was on the fence about letting him go because I did see some improvement.

Now, the # of drive-killing penalties, complete whiffs on interior DL, confusion along the line, etc. was indicative that he wasn't cutting the mustard as a coach/teacher. Recruiting-wise, I don't really recall any top recruit that he was mentioned as the main recruiter (I could be missing some). I believe Wolford is a step up as a coach and a leap up as a recruiter so the right move was made, imo.

I'm not making any excuses for Yenser - he dramatically failed to live up to expectations. But...I do have to give him some credit that Flax certainly improved a lot, the overall OL gave up a lot fewer sacks last year, the running game, while inconsistent, produced really good numbers in toto, etc. I was on the fence about letting him go because I did see some improvement.

Now, the # of drive-killing penalties, complete whiffs on interior DL, confusion along the line, etc. was indicative that he wasn't cutting the mustard as a coach/teacher. Recruiting-wise, I don't really recall any top recruit that he was mentioned as the main recruiter (I could be missing some). I believe Wolford is a step up as a coach and a leap up as a recruiter so the right move was made, imo.
Good post...... Yenser, year 1 got ZERO direction from Scang... The UK defense used to notice the OL didn't work very hard. Leadership from the new OC was terrible.

I give credit to Stoops for moving on from Scang after one year. He made a mistake and moved to correct it rather than being stubborn or prideful.
Yup. Did the same with Shannon Dawson. Seems to have a longer leash for position coaches but that may be reasonable all things considered.

I think we have dramatically upgraded our recruiting at WR coach, O line coach, & QB coach/OC from last year to this one
Hard to beat Coens recruiting I'll take a wait and see on that one.

Wolf is an ace recruiter no doubt, and Shorts is stepping out so far too. You throw in Boulware, and Collins and of course Marrow you have what might be the best group of recruiting coaches we have had here. And then add Hamdan who is yet to be determined but had some nice recruiting wins at Boise, we might see our rankings go up some in the future.

Reactions: gamecockcat
Doesn't NIL play a role as substantial as the recruiting acumen of the coaches? They'll have to be exceptional recruiters to overcome our NIL deficit.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT