ADVERTISEMENT

I just wish there was one recruiting guy whose info I knew I could trust to be reliable. Just one...

I know recruiting is a fluid situation, especially in these times, but it gets frustrating to me with infos and updates by the "experts" that change by the hour. Jeez.
Travis Graf does a great job and I don't even have HOB. LOL

He sits on info he knows so he doesn't burn contacts which means he's not always "first" but that also helps to not want to run and be "first" because you get burned that way.

You all have good Premium guys here. They report and share info they receive, they don't invent stories to get subscriptions and lie to fans.

Also think Ben Roberts does quality work and reports facts/doesn't get caught up in hype.

Social media fans are better than some UK "insiders" in the media.

Travis Graf does a great job and I don't even have HOB. LOL

He sits on info he knows so he doesn't burn contacts which means he's not always "first" but that also helps to not want to run and be "first" because you get burned that way.

You all have good Premium guys here. They report and share info they receive, they don't invent stories to get subscriptions and lie to fans.

Also think Ben Roberts does quality work and reports facts/doesn't get caught up in hype.

Social media fans are better than some UK "insiders" in the media.
Thanks Ralph. I respect your posts.

Journalism is dead.
Too many " You heard it here first wannabes"!
Has nothing to do with Journalism. ( even though i agree with you ) It's the money! a guy gets offered 250 thousand and agrees in principal, THEN another school swoops in and offers him 350 thousand. There is no loyalty, there is no " playing for the name on the front of the jersey " This is ALL about money. Just my opinion

Has nothing to do with Journalism. ( even though i agree with you ) It's the money! a guy gets offered 250 thousand and agrees in principal, THEN another school swoops in and offers him 350 thousand. There is no loyalty, there is no " playing for the name on the front of the jersey " This is ALL about money. Just my opinion
It's also about who wants to run with rumors they get DM'd or via Text and trust who sent them so they go public. There are many people go public when asked NOT to go public too. That stuff is F'd up.

I know recruiting is a fluid situation, especially in these times, but it gets frustrating to me with infos and updates by the "experts" that change by the hour. Jeez.
What experts? Th¹ey make money off of hits. UK has more fans than anyone that actually care about basketball so if you ger paid for hits, who would you cover and have truthful info or just report heresay? This player that UK may or not be in contact. Something that cal is doing that harms UK recruiting. Its all bogus anx people need to be smarter. No one gets paid for the truth in sports media.

Reactions: ralphdaltonfan
Ditto

And you are most assuredly entitled to your opinion.

Of course it is and agreements mean nothing anymore which is sad. It’s cool to want more money, but if someone worked hard and wanted you and made you a great offer and you accepted. I think you should honor that. I miss the days where they meant a little something too.

The constant recruiting focus under Cal every offseason wore me out on it. I don't do much in the way of following recruiting beyond seeing the names we are interested in. Anything deeper than that I just don't care about anymore. Tell me when they make it official then I'll get invested.

Reactions: yoshukai
After raising 2 kids through their teenage years I can say that they can be absolutely sure of something at 10:00 at night and wake up with a completely different view. Throw in NIL and its worse.

Last edited:
If anyone tells you he knows where a recruit is going- it’s pretty safe to assume you can’t trust. I’ve been around it long enough to know - no one knows. Many times- not even the player himself!

It’s all speculation until it’s official. The early reports, guesses, rumors and such are good ONLY for entertainment. There’s still nothing to celebrate until the recruit announces officially.
And then after the announcement, they announce they have opened up their recruitment again or they want out of the NLI they signed etc- college sports are just crazy anymore

Sounds like you should do what I do. Pay zero attention to recruiting. If they sign they sign. If they don't they don't. I'm not losing sleep over it.
I think it's creepy for grown adult reporters chasing around 17 year old high school kids anyway.

And what about weathermen, amiright?!?! Why can't these scoundrels tell me when it is gonna rain or not!?!?

Reactions: KYFOSSIL
Sounds like you should do what I do. Pay zero attention to recruiting. If they sign they sign. If they don't they don't. I'm not losing sleep over it.
I think it's creepy for grown adult reporters chasing around 17 year old high school kids anyway.
Or do what I do. Understand the words "maybe" and "probably" and accept uncertainty. We might get Drexel center. Hooray, we did. I thought Burks might stay. Oh he's not . OK. Don't post yet another, "oh boo hoo hoo . What's happening? Who can I trust? College basketball is different and I hate it. I'm a child who doesn't understand the world" thread.

The info changes because it us about 17, 18 year old young men

Many of whom have greedy shady hangers on with their hooks dug in trying to max out $$$ they can grab
Yep, this is the answer, in my opinion. I'd say most of these folks who follow recruiting and transfers have contacts with coaches and assistants, or people around these programs, but the main issue with getting it right is found in these players. It's like nailing jello to the wall. Who can predict what these players will do, especially in these days of NIL money flying around? They may like a particular school and team but last minute they get a call offering an NIL deal they can't turn down. And 18-21 year Olds aren't exactly stable in their decision making anyway. Who can predict what they'll want to do? I don't think some of them even know where they're going, just weighing options and being fickle, which is typical. Bottom line: we'll know who's on the team when they sign. That's about it. I'll yell you, I can't follow it too closely because it's like riding a roller coaster trying to figure these players out. So, I'm not trying.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT