ADVERTISEMENT

I hate what college basketball has become.

I was certainly naive regarding what NIL was going to be.

I have no problem with players getting paid at college level. But when I initially read name, image, likeness I thought there would be a couple of things at play.

1. Players get paid by university for being on team. Percentage of revenue stream for each individual sport.

2. Players get paid for their NIL. Have full auto ony to hire an agent who could then solicit deals for them at their school with 3rd parties to market their brand.

I certainly didn't anticipate it turning into major brands in college cities just deciding they'd buy players with zero advertising, commitments (outside of showing up to play sport) or requirements.

This is a sh*t show.

NIL isn't the issue. The instant transfer element is where 100% of the problems lie.

Pay the kids, fine, but make them wait a year before they transfer. This would significantly reduce the transfer portal, build more roster continuity, and make the college game exponentially more enjoyable.

It would also stop most of the tampering that is occurring.

One exception that I would make to the 'Wait a Year' requirement would be to allow for instant transfers in cases where the head coach who recruited the kid changes jobs.

Do these kids even have to attend class and maintain a grade point average? Does a free education even matter as that is the point of college? Only a handful of these kids are NBA hopefuls. The rest that don’t use their degree will make tons of money playing overseas. We might as well remove the university ties and just make it semi pro ball which it has become. The term freshman will be replaced by rookie. I’m going to vomit now.At least I remember the days when the term student-athletes mattered and collegiate athletics meant something.
So long my friends.

Absolutely agree. I don't want to win a title because we were the highest bidder. I want win it because top tier coaching, recruiting, and for the love of basketball. But who knows....maybe all of our titles were won from highest bidder.

Easiest way to solve it is setting it all up just like any pro sport. Team salary caps & player contract terms. Sign guys for 1-4 years with a guaranteed amount plus post season performance bonuses. While under contract, they couldn't leap to the NBA without some type of buy out penalty.

Everyone is now a paid mercenary. The tops teams will be who has the most money to pay. The smaller colleges don't have a chance. I will still watch it because it is in my blood, but it won't be the same.
Tell those kids to get off your lawn! 🥴🥴🥴

Everyone is now a paid mercenary. The tops teams will be who has the most money to pay. The smaller colleges don't have a chance. I will still watch it because it is in my blood, but it won't be the same.
Me too . But like Aunt Bee’s pickles “ might as well learn to love em “ .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT