ADVERTISEMENT

I had no idea how bad basketball used to be in the past

Jun 29, 2018
Everybody has a good laugh at the clips of current women's games where the play is really bad. The upper level teams are pretty good, but overall, it's not a great piece of entertainment. That said, I've been checking out games from the 50s and even 70s, and woof, not much better. Check out the 1958 champtionship game against Seattle, who had Elgin Baylor. I didn't see any plays, other than simple picks.

I saw atrocious shooting and very little athleticism. I knew it was a different game back then, but take that 1958 UK team that won it all, and they would get humiliated by just about every D1 team today. I used to think the game was more pure and devoted to fundamentals in the earlier decades, but I would say simple is a better description.

Everybody has a good laugh at the clips of current women's games where the play is really bad. The upper level teams are pretty good, but overall, it's not a great piece of entertainment. That said, I've been checking out games from the 50s and even 70s, and woof, not much better. Check out the 1958 champtionship game against Seattle, who had Elgin Baylor. I didn't see any plays, other than simple picks.

I saw atrocious shooting and very little athleticism. I knew it was a different game back then, but take that 1958 UK team that won it all, and they would get humiliated by just about every D1 team today. I used to think the game was more pure and devoted to fundamentals in the earlier decades, but I would say simple is a better description.

Sports were in their infancy... lots of progress over the years. You got to remember these players were nearly founding members of the sport. Everyone else since then has adapted to what works best.

Players are more athletic today but I would still argue, across the board, players were more skilled in the 80’s and 90’s. I watched the Francis kid for Houston airball a free throw and a short jump shot against Duke in the Sweet 16. Starter for a #1 seed and has no discernible basketball skill other than he’s 6’8 and athletic.

There is also the factor that nobody considers that HD super cameras and every angle possible wasn’t available.

Even games in the same era on different networks look like one is a far superior product. We’ve seen dudes who played in the early 2000s and those games look awful, dudes look smaller and less athletic…and then this same guys played in the late teens and 20s and were just as effective even as an old vet on their last leg.

This shooting and all around skill of bigs is better today as a whole. But the stars of yesteryear would be able to be the top 10% of the league today. Two “big slow unathletic” European guys are dominating the current league

I watched that game a couple years ago. I came away pretty impressed with Kentucky. Hatton, Cox, Crigler, and Smith would all have been able to hang against today’s competition. They wouldn’t be high major recruits more than likely (though I think it was Cox I saw who was money from long range, I think he would’ve been P5). Elgin Baylor was really good and the rest of his team of nobodies kind of watched him go to work.

I will tell you this, the 1978 championship team would be a Cal coached team all day long.

How do you think today's best college teams would do against a team well like 82 North Carolina team or the 96 UK team. The college basketball product has gotten worse.
The product is worse but last years UConn team would slaughter those teams. It's a different level of athlete. It makes me laugh when people say 80's and 90's NBA guys are better than today's. It's not close. It's not comparable but it's not close.

Reactions: Stan the caddy
Even the NBA in its "golden era" in the 80s and mid 90s, wasn't some great brand of basketball. There's a guy on YouTube who absolutely eviscerates the level of basketball being played even in Jordan's time.

Say what you will about today's game.. but everyone can play, almost everyone can score. The past eras had a lot of mail room workers and truck drivers once you got past a teams top 2-3 players.

That's the difference to me. I never thought the top100 guys in the NBA back then weren't up to par with today's game. It was the role players and the bench players that just would never make it in today's game. The talent pool back then was smaller. Games were on tape delay. Basketball didn't have the draw..

Keep in one the style of play had not evolved yet with freedom of movement etc yet. Players were forced to lay robotically due to the limited roles on ball handing (hand on top of the ball) so little change of direction or fluidity. Nothing change the game more than the listening of ball handling.

Back then nobody even tried to use their off hand to dribble because nobody did before them and players grow up mimicking what they see.

Guys were much more athletic than they appear because the style hid most of it. Guys like Bill Russell and Elgin Baylor were just as athletic as guys today but looked stiff, clunky and awkward back then because the style of play hadn’t evolved yet. Even back in the 80’s guys looked a little awkward compared to today and there were amazing athletes then

Overall players are more athletic today but the style and freedom of play a big difference.

Look at women way back in the day and the way they dressed etc. things evolve.

The product is worse but last years UConn team would slaughter those teams. It's a different level of athlete. It makes me laugh when people say 80's and 90's NBA guys are better than today's. It's not close. It's not comparable but it's not close.
There’s not enough anal cream in 15 Walmarts to cover last year’s UConn team after the Untouchables got through with them. Did you start drinking early, brother?

There’s not enough anal cream in 15 Walmarts to cover last year’s UConn team after the Untouchables got through with them. Did you start drinking early, brother?
Exactly. College basketball has better athletes now but a top ten team from the 90s would curb stomp a current top 10 team.

That 96 team would have spanked the 2012 Davis team too. That was a different level of basketball than what we see now.

I remember when players had to raise their hand when a foul was called on them. If you fouled out, your team had to play without a replacement, 4 0n 5. Once you got 4 fouls the coach would make you sit out the rest of the game unless you were good and it was late in the game.

I'm not sure athletes today are any athletically better in general than they were 50 years ago, other than maybe being bigger on average. You think American men today could do what the WW2 generation of men did? They had higher levels of testosterone than today's men. While some of you are pretending you are so physically superior, they would be taking your girlfriend.

I remember when players had to raise their hand when a foul was called on them. If you fouled out, your team had to play without a replacement, 4 0n 5. Once you got 4 fouls the coach would make you sit out the rest of the game unless you were good and it was late in the game.
Don’t know your age but I’m 80 and there was never a point in my lifetime when you had to play 4 on 5 if a guy fouled out.

96 cats still arguably one of the best college teams of all time. To suggest 24 UConn would slaughter them is laughable if not downright straight assanine.

The elite high school teams of today would slaughter those college championship teams from the 1940s and 1950s. The strength, speed and athleticism of today’s athletes is just on a whole other level.
Yeah but they also have the best of everything; every resource imaginable. I'd love to see the current era play in Chuck Taylors the entire game.

Games in the 1950s aren't much better than WNBA games of today...

Wow. Groundbreaking stuff.😆

Even the NBA in its "golden era" in the 80s and mid 90s, wasn't some great brand of basketball. There's a guy on YouTube who absolutely eviscerates the level of basketball being played even in Jordan's time.

Say what you will about today's game.. but everyone can play, almost everyone can score. The past eras had a lot of mail room workers and truck drivers once you got past a teams top 2-3 players.

That's the difference to me. I never thought the top100 guys in the NBA back then weren't up to par with today's game. It was the role players and the bench players that just would never make it in today's game. The talent pool back then was smaller. Games were on tape delay. Basketball didn't have the draw..
That's because that's all they do these days...

Guys playing 20-30 years ago could barely make a living off an NBA paycheck. So yeah, during the off-season, they didn't go work out all summer with would class trainers and nutritionists... They went to work real jobs.

But if guys from the 80s got paid $200k a game and had nothing better to do than workout and train all year, they'd probably be pretty good, too.

What's crazier is that even without all of that training and weight lifting, playing with old basketball rules, those dudes would literally break today's players in half.

Chet Holmgren wouldn't survive a half vs some of those monsters.

I guess if Luka Doncic played in the 80s he would average about 50 or 60 points a game?

Is that how it works?

Sports were in their infancy... lots of progress over the years. You got to remember these players were nearly founding members of the sport. Everyone else since then has adapted to what works best.
THIS as well as the way games were officiated in the past . How many think Bob Cousy wouldn't be competitive today if he was allowed to Palm the ball dribbling like modern guards. Imagine Bill Spivey being allowed a" Euro Step" or the near elimination of 3 second rules.
Finally the rules. There wasn't a shot clock or a 5 second rule. Think of what that means for strategy pace of play. No 3 point shot. If your a coach which looks like a more successful shot ,a20 footer or a 3 footer when both only count 2 points.

THIS as well as the way games were officiated in the past . How many think Bob Cousy wouldn't be competitive today if he was allowed to Palm the ball dribbling like modern guards. Imagine Bill Spivey being allowed a" Euro Step" or the near elimination of 3 second rules.
Finally the rules. There wasn't a shot clock or a 5 second rule. Think of what that means for strategy pace of play. No 3 point shot. If your a coach which looks like a more successful shot ,a20 footer or a 3 footer when both only count 2 points.
Interesting fact is that the game was much faster in the 60's than today despite the lack of a shot clock. The prevailing strategy was to race down the court and get a shot off early before defenses would be set. There were a ton of possessions and oodles of missed shots. It's why the great bigs in the early days of the game had obscene rebounding averages.

Good luck to UConn trying to beat the 96 full court press
Eh. These debates comparing teams across eras are always an inexact science, but this is one thing I can definitely disagree on. The full court press would get roasted by an elite modern team. It was a great strategy when most teams only had 1-2 reliable ball handlers on the floor at a given time and forcing the ball out of their hands led to trouble for the offense. Nowadays wing players and even a lot of big men have enough handling and passing skills to at least get the ball over half court and often set up an easy basket after beating an aggressive press. There’s a reason that nobody plays that kind of defensive system all game long anymore.

Last edited:
Reactions: JDHoss and CGblue
Interesting fact is that the game was much faster in the 60's than today despite the lack of a shot clock. The prevailing strategy was to race down the court and get a shot off early before defenses would be set. There were a ton of possessions and oodles of missed shots. It's why the great bigs in the early days of the game had obscene rebounding averages.
There were a few notable exceptions. Ray Mears and early Dean Smith were masters of slowing it down and if they got a lead with less than six minutes, God help you. I remember Mears always had a point guard with great handles and about 98% from free throw line. I remember this kid named Justice must have gone 60 for 60 against us Mears beat a couple of very good UK teams with that crap. Dean Smith and the nearly unbreakable 4 corners

That's because that's all they do these days...

Guys playing 20-30 years ago could barely make a living off an NBA paycheck. So yeah, during the off-season, they didn't go work out all summer with would class trainers and nutritionists... They went to work real jobs.

But if guys from the 80s got paid $200k a game and had nothing better to do than workout and train all year, they'd probably be pretty good, too.
Bruh. I do the same thing with memories sometimes, but 20 years ago was 2004. 30 years ago was 1994. Athletes were making "bank" in that era. No one had to work a second job to make it. :)

Yeah the “we are done with the 90s” guy . I must admit those videos are pretty funny . I saw one where Barkley was just frustrated he got shutdown and pushed someone for no reason .

Reactions: LineSkiCat14

Huh?! What?!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT