ADVERTISEMENT

I don't like this. Sharpe considering joining UK for the second semester

Other than exposing a bad personality, what possible harm can he cause by accepting endorsement money while he is here. He is selling HIS name and likeness, not UK's.
@rwbloomjr gave good reasoning in his reply. And, in addition, I was speaking more to the ire it would draw from the fan base. Ppl are sick of the one & done model & something like this might be the last straw for some. Plus, the time that would be spent coaching him would be a waste & that time could’ve been devoted to players who ARE gonna actually play here. Not to mention the fact that maybe we don’t have time to recruit a suitable replacement bc the staff thinks he’s coming back. Maybe it takes NIL opportunities from another player who is giving something back to the school. And, it could set off a trend of future players doing the same thing. Nothing good for UK would come of it. Now, like I’ve said, I don’t think it’ll be an issue & hopefully we never have to cross that bridge. But, at the same time Cal needs to have a contingency plan in place, just in case, even if the chances of it happening are minuscule.

Isn't this guy like the best high school player? Why wouldn't calipari play him to make our team better?

Doubt we win a title this season without him but if he is as good as people say we might with him.

Reactions: Big BlueBeard
I think you simply need to root for another team. Your constant negativity on this board is getting really old. The constant bashing of Cal is juvenile at best. Makes me think you are a troll. To the ignore list you go...
Lol. Quote my last bashing of Cal and my last “negative” post. I’ll wait.

Oh you caught me bro. Been trolling this board for the past 12 years. Thought all that practice would’ve made me better, but I guess not good enough to slip past you 😂

As long as he plays the following season and doesn't leave this is awesome. Learn the system. Practice against what should be one of the best backcourts in the nation. Be settled in and acclimated to college life so he won't be worrying about that the following season. I like it. I sure as hell wouldn't be mad that a guy who is coming to UK actually wants to be here.

Either way I hope he does what's best for him because it should also pay off for UK in the long run if he does come early.

Getting this kid on campus sooner rather than later is a bonus. Keep hearing all these comparisons to Diallo situation but I don’t see it. For one if this kid wanted to turn pro and make money as a pro he could do it right NOW, As for going to the NBA draft after one semester, he can’t do it without a waiver from the players association that he wouldn’t get. So WHY are so many folks getting their shorts in a wad. The kid wants to come to UK as soon as he can to bond with the team, learn and get better, I should have a problem with this WHY? Give me one iota of evidence that says the kid wants to do anything but what he said he is.

They’ll say all the right things till the time comes i’m sure. And a lot of the more positive posters will deny him leaving before playing a game here could possibly happen.

But what if he’s getting buzz as the #1 pick? At that point why on earth would he bother with college basketball? A #1 pick doesn’t need the marketing base that playing a season of college basketball would bring them.

There’s a chance he never plays a game at UK if this happens. it’s just a reality we’re going to have to accept and forget about till the time comes.
Has absolutely no chance of going #1 over guys like Paolo, Chet, Jaden Hardy, Duren, Jabari Smith without playing a game against stronger competition like those other guys.

If he enrolls, Cal must absolutely play him. I don't care if we're stacked at guard. Get this kid on the court. It would like mean less minutes for guys like Fredrick and Allen, but who in the world wouldn't be okay with that it it means you can add a potential #1 pick to the roster.

G - Washington
G - Grady
G - Sharpe
F - Toppin
C - Oscar

With Brooks, Mintz, and occasional cameo from Collins as your primary rotation.

Reactions: Fox2monk
If he enrolls, Cal must absolutely play him. I don't care if we're stacked at guard. Get this kid on the court. It would like mean less minutes for guys like Fredrick and Allen, but who in the world wouldn't be okay with that it it means you can add a potential #1 pick to the roster.

G - Washington
G - Grady
G - Sharpe
F - Toppin
C - Oscar

With Brooks, Mintz, and occasional cameo from Collins as your primary rotation.
Meh, CJ and Allen aren't going to play as it is. I gave Frederick a chance until he had surgery and had a long recovery time. He just got cleared to practice, so he's miles behind right now.
He might as well bring one of those stadium bench cushions with him on game days.
As far as Allen, we saw all we needed to see last year, that kid is in the doghouse, he must have slapped Ellen or something.

You can just tell that's the plan and why not since it would advance his NBA money by one year.

Good for him but not good for us.
If he’s not graduated yet, which the KSR article says he hasn’t, then he won’t be eligible. Gotta be one year removed from high school graduation. Only reason Hami was allowed was because he graduated the May before the Draft and did a post year before enrolling at UK.

Reactions: jace2012
If he’s not graduated yet, which the KSR article says he hasn’t, then he won’t be eligible. Gotta be one year removed from high school graduation. Only reason Hami was allowed was because he graduated the May before the Draft and did a post year before enrolling at UK.
While all this is correct and I fully believe Sharpe just wants to get on campus and get started, I refuse to be naive with reguards to how quickly things change in college sports.

That rule can change after 1 phone call or one wild hair up Adam Silver's ass. They can do whatever they want, just like the NCAA does.

While all this is correct and I fully believe Sharpe just wants to get on campus and get started, I refuse to be naive with reguards to how quickly things change in college sports.

That rule can change after 1 phone call or one wild hair up Adam Silver's ass. They can do whatever they want, just like the NCAA does.
Actually they can’t change the rule out of the blue. The rule is apart of the collective bargaining agreement that the NBPA and NBA are legally bound to. So the NBPA and the NBA would have to agree to terms to change the rule and they’ve already tried with talks basically dissolving as soon as the NBA asked for fully medicals of all players. Agents aren’t going to risk their clients future because of a bad physical.

Reactions: kyjeff1
Actually they can’t change the rule out of the blue. The rule is apart of the collective bargaining agreement that the NBPA and NBA are legally bound to. So the NBPA and the NBA would have to agree to terms to change the rule and they’ve already tried with talks basically dissolving as soon as the NBA asked for fully medicals of all players. Agents aren’t going to risk their clients future because of a bad physical.
Good to know.
As you can tell, I don't trust either organization, especially the NCAA, I can't believe they are allowed to operate the way they do.

Reactions: bucsrule8872
Good to know.
As you can tell, I don't trust either organization, especially the NCAA, I can't believe they are allowed to operate the way they do.
Difference with the NBA is they have a players Union so the players have some power as well. Where as the NCAA is basically just a monopoly with no checks and balances

Has absolutely no chance of going #1 over guys like Paolo, Chet, Jaden Hardy, Duren, Jabari Smith without playing a game against stronger competition like those other guys.
This is a huge point that I feel is being missed. If he sticks around and enters the draft when he’s supposed to, he’s expected to be the top pick at this point. If he sits out & shows nothing at the college level, he probably drops about 5 spots. There was about a 3 million dollar PER YEAR difference between the #1 and #5 picks this year. He’d be throwing money down the toilet.

We'll see what happens. Nowadays they have credit recovery so a kid can make up as many hs credits they want in just a few days. That's why it's so fluid to move up and down classes. So who knows what his actual graduation date will be.

Imo if he comes to UK early, it's so he can leave early. Again it makes sense and I get it, it just is what it is

This is a huge point that I feel is being missed. If he sticks around and enters the draft when he’s supposed to, he’s expected to be the top pick at this point. If he sits out & shows nothing at the college level, he probably drops about 5 spots. There was about a 3 million dollar PER YEAR difference between the #1 and #5 picks this year. He’d be throwing money down the toilet.
Well #2. Victor Wembanyama has #1 on lock for 23’ draft.

I don’t think paolo, smith or duren are better nba prospects than sharpe. I love hardy and holmgren personally, and holmgren has very little risk of getting exposed in that dog shit conference. so yeah i’ll agree its unlikely. but sharpe is also the highest rated high school player in some time. i think hes only like the 3rd concensus #1 in the last 15 years. He’s gonna at least get some buzz as the #1 pick at some point.

Meh, CJ and Allen aren't going to play as it is. I gave Frederick a chance until he had surgery and had a long recovery time. He just got cleared to practice, so he's miles behind right now.
He might as well bring one of those stadium bench cushions with him on game days.
As far as Allen, we saw all we needed to see last year, that kid is in the doghouse, he must have slapped Ellen or something.
You are why the UK fan base is made fun of.

You are why the UK fan base is made fun of.
No, that would be you. I'm a realist, UK fans get a bad wrap because they're obnoxious and are always thumping their chests about how great they are.
I'm not thumping my chest, or talking smack, I'm telling it like it is, obviously you can't handle the truth.
Nothing I said was wrong, if the part about Allen slapping Ellen gets your panties in a wad, it was a joke, get over it or get off social media.

Do better

No, that would be you. I'm a realist, UK fans get a bad wrap because they're obnoxious and are always thumping their chests about how great they are.
I'm not thumping my chest, or talking smack, I'm telling it like it is, obviously you can't handle the truth.
Nothing I said was wrong, if the part about Allen slapping Ellen gets your panties in a wad, it was a joke, get over it or get off social media.

Do better

I like Allen and hope he plays some....just needs to make 3s when he is in the game and try to do better on defense. I tend to agree on CJ as he will be behind, but again, if he plays, he is only in the game to score 3 pointers for the most part.

I like Allen and hope he plays some....just needs to make 3s when he is in the game and try to do better on defense. I tend to agree on CJ as he will be behind, but again, if he plays, he is only in the game to score 3 pointers for the most part.
Very well said. If CJ WAS going to play good minutes, that went out the minute the second he went under the knife. Now he's way out of shape and at the back of the line.

As far as Allen, he proved he can string together threes and break games open, but holy cow, the second he made a tiny mistake, he got yanked out of the game, only to watch two guys do everything in their power to lose games.
Boston and Askew were allowed to play through a myriad of mistakes, Allen was not and I have to believe it is extremely hard to play relaxed when you know you're getting yanked if you miss an assignment.

Juzang and Baker know that feeling too, that's why they left.

We'll see what happens. Nowadays they have credit recovery so a kid can make up as many hs credits they want in just a few days. That's why it's so fluid to move up and down classes. So who knows what his actual graduation date will be.

Imo if he comes to UK early, it's so he can leave early. Again it makes sense and I get it, it just is what it is
You realize it has to be in a few days right? Halfway through the year isn't a few days

You realize it has to be in a few days right? Halfway through the year isn't a few days

Wasn't it Marvin Bagley that took an entire semester or year worth of highschool credits in about three days of credit recovery to reclass for Duke.

Personally I don't think he's coming for the spring. But you can virtually bank that if he does, it's so he can leave early too. No way he's going the Hami route. Hell Hami didn't want to go the Hami route, he just didn't have a choice

Wasn't it Marvin Bagley that took an entire semester or year worth of highschool credits in about three days of credit recovery to reclass for Duke.

Personally I don't think he's coming for the spring. But you can virtually bank that if he does, it's so he can leave early too. No way he's going the Hami route. Hell Hami didn't want to go the Hami route, he just didn't have a choice
Hami was eligible. I know nothing about Bagley's situation. But Hami would be 5 months graduated right now. Nobody said Sharpe would be until around December. Noone knows what he'll do but he has like 100ish hours to do it if he plans on taking that route.

Reactions: jrpross
Hami was eligible. I know nothing about Bagley's situation. But Hami would be 5 months graduated right now. Nobody said Sharpe would be until around December. Noone knows what he'll do but he has like 100ish hours to do it if he plans on taking that route.

You should Google credit recovery. It's amazing the sham that's used to get kids eligible.

If he wants to be here, he'll get here. It won't take some 100 hours of classwork, that's for sure.

You should Google credit recovery. It's amazing the sham that's used to get kids eligible.

If he wants to be here, he'll get here. It won't take some 100 hours of classwork, that's for sure.
I wouldn't know i graduated top 5 in my class and had college credits in hs so never had that problem. Hopefully he comes. He's a player

Sharpe won’t be eligible for the 2022 draft anyway. He’ll play at UK next fall.

Very well said. If CJ WAS going to play good minutes, that went out the minute the second he went under the knife. Now he's way out of shape and at the back of the line.

As far as Allen, he proved he can string together threes and break games open, but holy cow, the second he made a tiny mistake, he got yanked out of the game, only to watch two guys do everything in their power to lose games.
Boston and Askew were allowed to play through a myriad of mistakes, Allen was not and I have to believe it is extremely hard to play relaxed when you know you're getting yanked if you miss an assignment.

Juzang and Baker know that feeling too, that's why they left.
Really demonstrates how one-dimensional Allen was that Askew was more valuable on the floor.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT