ADVERTISEMENT

I am glad Louisville hired Payne

Because he is awful and there were idiots on here who wanted us to hire him when Cal leaves. Im glad Louisville got to him first because the coaching over there is a damn train wreck . It is some of the worst Ive ever seen in my lifetime.
But but but he was the one who won UK all of those games! Wait does that mean that Cal actually gets the credit for the success at UK now?

Reactions: bigjonaoc
Because he is awful and there were idiots on here who wanted us to hire him when Cal leaves. Im glad Louisville got to him first because the coaching over there is a damn train wreck . It is some of the worst Ive ever seen in my lifetime.
UL needs to give him 3-4 years to get things in order. (wink)

Reactions: bigjonaoc
Why do I have this sneaking suspicion that UofL will give us a good game?

We'll win, of course, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a single digit win.

Wait til he gets a full team of players he recruited, then judge him. Look up Coach K's first season.

I don't think it's fair to expect much from him in his first year.

But I also didn't think he was HC material. I think when he filled in for Cals technicals.. it was really just the team rallying.. not so much that KP did anything different.

Reactions: EliteBlue
I was telling my son last night when we were watching a bit of their game before UK started. I think Payne is a great guy and a very good big man coach- did great with multiple UK bigs under Cal. He always had great relationships with the players, definitely a players' coach. He was always the good cop to Cal's bad cop. He's always been very chill, very laid back, very calm. So, those are the positives. But he's never been the top dog, so to speak. And he's never had to be the bad cop. I just wonder if he has the personality and intensity to be a successful head coach. He's a great assistant for the very reasons I mentioned, but that doesn't always translate to being a great head coach. There is such a thing as being promoted to incompetence, that is, continuing up the ladder position by position until you get in over your head and skill to perform. That may be what Payne is dealing with right now, and he's not the first man to experience it. And Louisville fans aren't going to have much patience for all these losses. UK fans would have spontaneously combusted already.

He was always the good cop to Cal's bad cop. He's always been very chill, very laid back, very calm. So, those are the positives. But he's never been the top dog, so to speak. And he's never had to be the bad cop.
True and still wonder why Junior Bridgeman and those guys who know him so well thought he'd be the answer there particularly with zero HC-ing experience.

Reactions: IL Wildcat
I was telling my son last night when we were watching a bit of their game before UK started. I think Payne is a great guy and a very good big man coach- did great with multiple UK bigs under Cal. He always had great relationships with the players, definitely a players' coach. He was always the good cop to Cal's bad cop. He's always been very chill, very laid back, very calm. So, those are the positives. But he's never been the top dog, so to speak. And he's never had to be the bad cop. I just wonder if he has the personality and intensity to be a successful head coach. He's a great assistant for the very reasons I mentioned, but that doesn't always translate to being a great head coach. There is such a thing as being promoted to incompetence, that is, continuing up the ladder position by position until you get in over your head and skill to perform. That may be what Payne is dealing with right now, and he's not the first man to experience it. And Louisville fans aren't going to have much patience for all these losses. UK fans would have spontaneously combusted already.
VERY GOOD POINTS and almost exactly what I have been saying. I hope Louisville loses every game they play , but I do like KP. You do almost have to give him a pass for this year and give him a little time to get his guys in. If year three he is losing then its official they screwed up. I am a basketball junky and I watch alot of youtube tutorials and my son coaches at a high level program and I have coached at a lower level for years. Chris Mack is an excellent X and O guy. I dont know why he failed at Louisville because I thought he would be a good fit for them. KP having never been a been a Head coach and head bench coach IS huge deal. it takes years to hone that and you just all of a sudden get good. You are also going against some of the best in the biz

As I stated in another thread, I am so bummed about us last night I can't even take any joy in Louisvilles misery !

Like Uncle said above, their 0-3 start gives me far less joy than it should, considering our super shitty performance last night.
You guys need professional help.

There is ALWAYS joy in Louisville losing.

Seek help before it's too late.

If you love Louisville losing, this is the year. ENJOY!!!

VERY GOOD POINTS and almost exactly what I have been saying. I hope Louisville loses every game they play , but I do like KP. You do almost have to give him a pass for this year and give him a little time to get his guys in. If year three he is losing then its official they screwed up. I am a basketball junky and I watch alot of youtube tutorials and my son coaches at a high level program and I have coached at a lower level for years. Chris Mack is an excellent X and O guy. I dont know why he failed at Louisville because I thought he would be a good fit for them. KP having never been a been a Head coach and head bench coach IS huge deal. it takes years to hone that and you just all of a sudden get good. You are also going against some of the best in the biz
I see it happen in other professions all the time. I'm an associate pastor, youth pastor, worship leader in my church and have been doing this full time for about 25 years. People assume I would naturally want to be a senior pastor, but I enjoy what I'm doing and don't need to be the main man. I've actually seen what folks expect and do to "the man" and I'm not interested right now. Maybe at some point I'll change my mind. But my point is, some guys are just better as a second in command and there's nothing wrong with that. That's kind of where I feel Payne fits in- as an excellent associate head coach, Now, he may figure it out and become a great coach. I don't think there is any doubt he has the coaching acumen to do it. I just think his personality fits associate better.

I see it happen in other professions all the time. I'm an associate pastor, youth pastor, worship leader in my church and have been doing this full time for about 25 years. People assume I would naturally want to be a senior pastor, but I enjoy what I'm doing and don't need to be the main man. I've actually seen what folks expect and do to "the man" and I'm not interested right now. Maybe at some point I'll change my mind. But my point is, some guys are just better as a second in command and there's nothing wrong with that. That's kind of where I feel Payne fits in- as an excellent associate head coach, Now, he may figure it out and become a great coach. I don't think there is any doubt he has the coaching acumen to do it. I just think his personality fits associate better.
I think one of the best things you can do for yourself is to realize what your true strengths are as well as weakness. Then bring people around you that minimize your weaknesses. I have a dear friend who is a Pastor at a very large church. He grew ours from 300 to 3,000 in about five years. He was tremendous in the pulpit and a great charismatic person and type A personality. He had folks around him that complimented his personality. He left to go to a larger church and we made hiring mistakes that took us right back down to 300 again (well 500). Leadership is EVERYTHING in sports, in business and in church. The sooner folks realize what their true gifts are an embrace and accept what they are not good at the better off they will be in any business.

Reactions: IL Wildcat
Not saying Kenny is anything but a skilled position coach either, but that roster is one hellacious pile of crap...no coach dead or alive is going to win with that. [laughing]

From what I understand, he swung and missed on most if not all of his transfer options - now that part is on him and why they're so historically bad.

The $25,000 question is: Can you imagine Cal with that roster?

Could we see the worse ratings ever for a UL/UK game this year? If UK loses to Michigan, the Big Blue balloon will be deflating very fast.

KP is a very nice person. Glad to see he got the job and is getting paid at his age...about 25 million. Now I don't care if they ever win a game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT