ADVERTISEMENT

Hypothetical: what would it take for football to surpass basketball at UK (based on fan interest)?

Honestly, this is actually what my first thought was.......to have a "Bama" type run. If we won a single NC and returned back down to 8 wins a year, the fanbase would take off but basketball would still be the premier sport here. I think it would take something that has a "dynasty" feel to it.

In other words, very, very unlikely.

IMO, with football it won’t take that long. No doubt 8 NC’s is impressive, and that record will stand from now to eternity. Football will continue to turn heads.

The past few years of the basketball team have certainly soured many UK fans. While UK is still a top tier basketball school and the football team is 2nd tier (with aspirations of going higher), there's still a gap. But, the FB program's fortunes seem to be improving while the BB program's fortunes seem to be waning.

Would the FB team need to play/win the SECC game to make that next step? Go to a NY6 Bowl 2 out of 3 years? Finish top 12 for a couple years in a row? Make the expanded playoffs once every 5 years and be on the cusp several others? For long-time fans, the FB team may never surpass the BB team. For younger fans (and recruits), what would it take for their viewpoint to be more equal among the 2 or even see the FB program > BB program?

Hypothetically, let's say the BB team loses (again) in the 1st round this week and the FB goes 10-3 with another bowl win. Is that gap still the same or does it continue to decrease as each year the UK BB program starts to resemble Nebraska football (or, to a lesser extent, ND football), relying on past glory? Nothing lasts forever (IU basketball, for example) and UK's prominence as a 'BB school' may not, either.

While I don't have any big love for the BB program, I don't want to see it slip into oblivion, either. But, FB will continue to bring in the most revenue and could conceivably be more of the flagship program than BB if FB continues to improve. At least I think so.
stopped watching basketball a few years ago don't miss it.

you guys haven't been to the same games I went to, the last two Citrus Bowls I would say the fans were pretty close to 50-50 both PSU game and Iowa game. At best 60-40 UK, at best! and the only road game I have seen us take over a stadium is at Vandy. have our followings been quite good, yeah I think so but for anyone who hasn't been to a Bowl or road game and they read these descriptions they would not get a true picture.

Yes, this is true. I really think UK's road attendance will increase in coming years b/c our fans now think we have a real chance at winning any game we play. Our turnout at Ole Miss and A&M was very good (though not in the same league as some of the other league teams). But, right now, we take 2,000-3,000 on every SEC road trip. Bowl games and vandy are much higher, but again, it depends n location and mood. We were up for the Citrus bowl in 2019 and had 30,000-40,000 there. PSU had a good turnout too (the overall crowd was probably 55-45 UK).

The Music city bowl during the brooks years was a true takeover. UK had 50,000 fans and Clemson had maybe 10,000. I haven't seen that kind of scene since then.

I was there and yes it was a very good road crowd, but we didn't take over! Look I think we travel very well. the road games I have been to even if not large numbers the enthusiasm has been great. it's just when a few classified our crowds as taking over. I haven't seen that except for Vandy, I don't think it happens.

This is accurate. We don't "take over" much, but our road crowds are of respectable size.

Reactions: EKCAT4YRS
8 championships
Even though all but one of those championships were literally a generation or more ago? As a comparison, ND FB last won the NC in 1988. Are they still considered a 'blue blood' program that kids across the country aspire to play for? Army won a couple of NCs in the 40s - are they still a destination school? Colorado won a NC in the early 90s and we know just how that program has fared in the past 10 years and the utter lack of interest in it prior to Prime showing up. I know I'm being flip but the idea that championships won decades ago continue to put UK BB ahead of FB is a bit hard to agree with. I'd guess that many fans of UK BB who are <50 years old couldn't tell when the Cats won the NC prior to 1978. Certainly, early in Cal's tenure, we went to FFs and won a championship. But that's now 10 years ago. While UK FB has moved from a burning dumpster to a solid SEC team and the trend seems to be pointing upward (with last year, hopefully, being a temporary stumble).

I agree that UK BB still garners more attention but I believe the gap is closing quickly and anticipate FB surpassing BB in the next few years if the current trend for both programs continue. Hard for me to envision a lot of rabid fans continuing to bleed blue and white for a BB team that finishes with 10+ losses every year and rarely, if ever, makes any noise in the NCAA. JMHO

Mmmmmmm.

I had heard they were short handed on the O-line, buuut, that takes the cake if it comes true.

Our edge/Jack will feast on his side.
No one has enough access to UK or Florida practice to know these kinds of details or evaluations. Especially a guy from a Georgia message board. Goodwin has all of what 2 practices at Florida in pads. Someone is just throwing sh#t at the wall n see if it sticks. Fake news

Even though all but one of those championships were literally a generation or more ago? As a comparison, ND FB last won the NC in 1988. Are they still considered a 'blue blood' program that kids across the country aspire to play for? Army won a couple of NCs in the 40s - are they still a destination school? Colorado won a NC in the early 90s and we know just how that program has fared in the past 10 years and the utter lack of interest in it prior to Prime showing up. I know I'm being flip but the idea that championships won decades ago continue to put UK BB ahead of FB is a bit hard to agree with. I'd guess that many fans of UK BB who are <50 years old couldn't tell when the Cats won the NC prior to 1978. Certainly, early in Cal's tenure, we went to FFs and won a championship. But that's now 10 years ago. While UK FB has moved from a burning dumpster to a solid SEC team and the trend seems to be pointing upward (with last year, hopefully, being a temporary stumble).

I agree that UK BB still garners more attention but I believe the gap is closing quickly and anticipate FB surpassing BB in the next few years if the current trend for both programs continue. Hard for me to envision a lot of rabid fans continuing to bleed blue and white for a BB team that finishes with 10+ losses every year and rarely, if ever, makes any noise in the NCAA. JMHO
Don’t feed the Raftard.

Reactions: gamecockcat
I agree, but to play Devils Advocate, if Goodwin starts and plays well, our coaching staff going to have some "splainin" to do, given our play at OT last season. Similarly, Penn State fans probably wondered why Levis never got much of a chance while there, although their starter was solid . . . but no where near a top half of the 1st round draft pick.

Did you watch him move? He has terrible feet with no bend. He played special teams because he was likely assured he wouldn't RS. If he starts at OT for UF edge guys will have career days. Every 5* doesn't pan out, still early for him but he has a long way to go to be serviceable.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Well, after that showing last night with yet another close-game-with-5-minutes-to-go loss, I'd say FB is inching ever closer. Coach Cal certainly doesn't seem to inspire the fanbase with consistent underperformance as has been the norm lately. Top 5 preseason to first round loss in SECT to not making the S16 in the NCAA. At some point, many of the long time BB fans are going to get tired of high preseason expectations turning into another season of disappointment. Perhaps they give up on sports all together or perhaps they get more interested in a FB program that is slowly rising. I believe the gap is as small as it's ever been.

Football as a sport is definitely the better product. I care about keeping up with the big name teams and games. In basketball I'm watching UK and that's about it.
Same, though the last several years I have quit watching the games live, with some exception. I DVR every game and watch when convenient. The "when convenient" time has been getting later and later and often the next day or not at all. I probably watched half the games all the way through, about 25% I turned off mid game due to poor play and 25% of the games I never watched, as I may have seen the score or heard bad reviews of our play before I had a chance to watch it. I compare this to when I lived in Tokyo and watched every game live on my laptop. Given the 13-14 time difference, I was often at odd hours, committed to the team. We also used to reserve a suite at the SEC tournament every year. 2017 was the last year we did it., but we've been to every bowl game since Stoops arrived. Basketball is losing its appeal to me. I hope they can get it turned around.

As of now, I am more hyped about football and have been for 2 years now. For me it will take getting rid of CAL to start thinking about getting hyped again for basketball. We could go undefeated next year and I will not get hyped. It will still be ugly CAL offense and possibly a better man to man defense. He will never go zone.

After 4 decades of intense hoops my passion is falling faster than our winning % —- I’m in my 4th straight season of season ticket holding in football — my passion is white hot .. go Stoops.
Our group is doing one road game every season . Last year Ole Miss .. their fans were freaked out at the amount of blue in the that stadium … and I still believe we win that game we go 10-2 or 9-3 . So damn close

Last edited:
After 4 decades of intense hoops my passion is falling faster than our winning % —- I’m in my 4th straight season of season ticket holding in football — my passion is white hot .. go Stoops.
Our group is doing one road game every season . Last year Ole Miss .. their fans were freaked out at the amount of blue in the that stadium … and I still believe we win that game we go 10-2 or 9-3 . So damn close
Nothing like being at Kroger Field!

For me make the 12 team playoff. I dont see UK winning a SEC title or national title in my lifetime.

If calipari outlives me the same is true of basketball.
As I see it, the 12 team playoff presents our opportunity to elevate to the top. It will expand perception of who's at the top. Once perception changes in that way, all bets based on history are off.

Football generally speaking is more popular in terms of interest. Across the sports world at every level. The ratings prove that. Football touches more people by design. More people can play, which means more connections throughout the community. More team oriented, more kids are involved...again more connections...

Scarcity in that there's fewer games...creates since of urgency to see and follow.

CWS was filling up near if not at capacity long before the team was consistently good.

I think if you put a dome on Kroger Field, football would sell out like it has...I don't know that basketball would.

Basketball would sell out or get close for big games, but Cal has taken most of those on the road...which I contend is a factor in the current state of things.

Fans literally don't get a good game at Rupp until SEC play starts. University Brass and Lexington Brass should be livid. I'd tell Cal and athletics to F*ck off with all the Hofstra and Bellermins...go play at memorial. Fishing expos, and comic cons can fetch the convention center and downtown/campus area businesses more people and money.

I think we have perhaps confused popularity with "holy" for lack of a better term. Football is more popular and gaining, basketball is and probably always will be more Holy.

2-3 more years of Calipari should do it.
I was going to say 5 years, but you may be more accurate.

I pay attention to UKBB, but don't really care about it in its present state. I won't get fired up for the roundballers until Cal has long since departed.

As for the FB team...win or lose, we have players that will "Fight Fight Fight...for the Blue and White..." It is refreshing when compared to the BB HC and players that look forward mostly to NBA draft day.

Tee it up and let's GBB!

Think it would take Cal staying but also Stoops taking it up a level or two. Would have to start competing for the SEC in football while basketball remains a boring cluster eff.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT