ADVERTISEMENT

Humphries

So, Hump is only thinking about himself right now and not about the TEAM. Listening to all the other players interviews and you hear about how great the TEAM is playing right now but Hump is not focus on the most important part of the season. No wonder why he doesn't play a lot and the TEAM is doing just fine right now 11 games in the row with his butt on the bench.

1. Highly disappointed to hear this comment day before NCAA tournament. At best....just talk this stuff ofter year is done.
2. Another example of our culture at UK affects kids that really shouldn't be worried about NBA. Hump is a big kid and that is about it skill wise.
- Not quick foot
- Not a good shooter like many lament about but he's not really done much at UK facing up
- Not a kid who scores thru contact...so his low post game is essentially just a quasi fade away jump hook. Never anything attacking the basket or thru a defender to take advantage of his size.
- Not got elite quickness/reaction...so his shot blocking is solid but nothing elite
- His hand eye coordination is below average...can't lob dunk at all at his size. Not a quick jumper and can't catch and dunk.

Isaac isn't a NBA guy and in today's NBA probably never will be. But he can be a useful big man at UK the next 2 years. He can develop more scoring moves and give us 2nd unit scoring option. He can be a better defensive anchor in the middle. But focusing on a possible transfer due to NBA unrealistic ideology is possibly yet again in the water at UK :thumbsdown:

So, Hump is only thinking about himself right now and not about the TEAM. Listening to all the other players interviews and you hear about how great the TEAM is playing right now but Hump is not focus on the most important part of the season. No wonder why he doesn't play a lot and the TEAM is doing just fine right now 11 games in the row with his butt on the bench.

See what kind of false reaction articles like this create? Perfect example of exactly what type of reaction the "journalist" was hoping to incite, simply because it drives clicks and traffic.

Reactions: brianpoe and Blueaz
Where on earth did you extract this from that article??

This is his quote in that article: To consider leaving UK from another person that feels like their future is better elsewhere...it's sort of old. He's played some minutes in 2 years...We'll have what....4-5 players back next year. Why consider bolting? Is Richards that imposing?

It’s too early to say what anyone’s going to do,” Humphries said. “Like, I don’t know what my path will be next year. Obviously me being the right age to finally enter the draft, but there’s a lot of options. I don’t know anything yet. I’m trying to finish the season, finish March Madness because it’s about the team right now. It’s not about me. I’ve gotta finish that out and then kinda weigh my options. But Kentucky’s obviously a great place for development. I’m not gonna look past that at all.”

It's hardly a conspiracy theory-it's just how it is at Kentucky, and probably moreso under Cal. Sometimes, guys like Humphries don't develop the way they would at other schools, particularly with the sheer volume of talent Cal brings in.

In the article, Humphries talks a lot about confidence-at any number of schools...he'd be THE man. He'd have to play-he'd have to pan out-at least for a season. There wouldn't be a very strong option or plan B. But at Kentucky, he's the plan B...and if makes a mistake, or just doesn't produce..he goes out pretty fast. He doesn't ever really get the chance to play through mistakes or get much long term in-game experience. Since most of us tend to learn through failure and mistakes in performance situations...players like him sometimes don't come into their own.

Frankly..I don't know that even if he reached the highest level or his confidence, or his potential, he'd be much better than the minutes he gets now. I suspect he would, but since i don't watch him play or study practices..I can't make that judgement.

This is his quote in that article: To consider leaving UK from another person that feels like their future is better elsewhere...it's sort of old. He's played some minutes in 2 years...We'll have what....4-5 players back next year. Why consider bolting? Is Richards that imposing?

It’s too early to say what anyone’s going to do,” Humphries said. “Like, I don’t know what my path will be next year. Obviously me being the right age to finally enter the draft, but there’s a lot of options. I don’t know anything yet. I’m trying to finish the season, finish March Madness because it’s about the team right now. It’s not about me. I’ve gotta finish that out and then kinda weigh my options. But Kentucky’s obviously a great place for development. I’m not gonna look past that at all.”

That could easily be read to mean something related to his development on the court. And there's no mention of anything about a "possible transfer", nor is there even a clue that Humphries is "focusing on" such an idea.

This is why we should never take these things out of context and understand that the writer is simply trying to drum up distraction right before the tournament, merely to generate clicks. I read the article several times, and the writer injects his own ideas on what Hump means by his statements, including leading the whole thing off with: "INDIANAPOLIS — Sophomore center Isaac Humphries is unsure about his future at Kentucky", which is completely misleading (and likely on purpose). Based on what I read from his quotes, this could and should have read "Sophomore center Isaac Humphries is looking to improve next year at Kentucky". But no, that's too positive and doesn't incite "worry" and distraction like "unsure about his future".

Whereas I can see how a nervous UK fan reading that could perceive the vague-ish quotes from Hump as him seriously contemplating leaving, I tend to lean more towards him openly expressing disappointment in his own progression, and wondering out loud as to whether he can improve and build confidence next year. Did he mention the draft? Sure - just that he's being old enough. Could one pick up some hints that his possibly being tainted by the one-and-done environment at UK is at the root of his frustration with his performance this year (and possibly not living up to the standard that has been created at UK under Calipari - to go pro or you're a failure)? Perhaps.

But for anyone that's heard any player answer questions like this (which are ill-timed and of poor choice by this journalist), they always answer in vague terms, and nearly every time overzealous UK fans over-speculate and over react to them.

Last edited:
Reactions: TexKat
Guys, he just answered a question that he was asked. I'm sure he didn't go seeking out an interview to say that he might not be around next year. You guys are reading way too much into this.

1. Highly disappointed to hear this comment day before NCAA tournament. At best....just talk this stuff ofter year is done.
2. Another example of our culture at UK affects kids that really shouldn't be worried about NBA. Hump is a big kid and that is about it skill wise.
- Not quick foot
- Not a good shooter like many lament about but he's not really done much at UK facing up
- Not a kid who scores thru contact...so his low post game is essentially just a quasi fade away jump hook. Never anything attacking the basket or thru a defender to take advantage of his size.
- Not got elite quickness/reaction...so his shot blocking is solid but nothing elite
- His hand eye coordination is below average...can't lob dunk at all at his size. Not a quick jumper and can't catch and dunk.

Isaac isn't a NBA guy and in today's NBA probably never will be. But he can be a useful big man at UK the next 2 years. He can develop more scoring moves and give us 2nd unit scoring option. He can be a better defensive anchor in the middle. But focusing on a possible transfer due to NBA unrealistic ideology is possibly yet again in the water at UK :thumbsdown:
All of the above plus the fact that he's the weakest 7-footer I've seen at UK. He should've been in the weight room immediately after the season last year but obviously was not. Consistently has the ball stripped in the post and has difficulty hanging onto a rebound.

I know this is probably not a big deal for the tournament but I still think you need common sense and think maybe this is not the best time to answer the question in that way. Be PC about it and wait until after the season.

I know this is probably not a big deal for the tournament but I still think you need common sense and think maybe this is not the best time to answer the question in that way. Be PC about it and wait until after the season.
Agree.I wish he had answered the question by saying all he is thinking about is the tourney.That would have given the dirt seeking jerk no ammo.

Sounds like Hump is very self aware. That in itself is very encouraging. Lots of players want to blame coaches, he's accepting responsibility for his own performance. Have to remember Hump is still very young even though he's a Soph. I sure hope he stays. WHo's to say he won't be a big factor in this tourney. You never know.

Reactions: BBUK

And did you read the entire article, or just skim it and make assumptions? If you didn't read it, here's a huge piece from Hump that clearly contradicts your statement:

"...I’m trying to finish the season, finish March Madness because it’s about the team right now. It’s not about me. I’ve gotta finish that out and then kinda weigh my options. But Kentucky’s obviously a great place for development. I’m not gonna look past that at all.”

Completely written out of context to add distraction to the tournament. I'm curious about where this "journalist" is from (edit: research shows he's from Oklahoma and was most-recently the OU newspaper's editor in chief). As someone above said, this was just Hump expressing frustration with where he wanted to be, performance-wise, to where he thinks he is. I got nothing from his statements that leads me to believe he is even considering leaving/transferring.

But hey, that's what "journalism" is about these days - throw vague statements / quotes in an article that's laced with leading readers into believing there might be "more to it" in an effort to generate "clicks" and "things that make you go, hmmmmm".

Being from OU he probably has an agenda against UK b'ball. Probably doesn't like the rooms at Wildcat Coal Lodge :sunglasses:

Reactions: TheDude73
I really do not see this as a "distraction" as most of the guys are looking ahead to the NBA next season anyway. My point in even posting it was losing a quality (yes he is quality not dominant but quality/experienced) big for next season appears to be possible and also the somewhat ridiculous position (by the reporter) to even bring up next season while there is so much left to play for save those questions for after the final buzzer sounds.

jesus fuqing christ, the words draft should never even enter this kids mind. i have figured out while he doesn't play a lot...he has delusions and sees things that arent there.

All of the above plus the fact that he's the weakest 7-footer I've seen at UK. He should've been in the weight room immediately after the season last year but obviously was not. Consistently has the ball stripped in the post and has difficulty hanging onto a rebound.

Give me a break...the weakest??? I guess you've been around a "weak" or so....

Being from OU he probably has an agenda against UK b'ball. Probably doesn't like the rooms at Wildcat Coal Lodge :sunglasses:
Ha! Well, most likely he's just aware of the fanbase's sensitivity to anything spoken by our players and is using this as a chance to drive hits/clicks/traffic. Seems it's working - both KSR and CI have probably generated plenty!

I like Humphries and hope he sticks around. Cal needs to keep guys like him in the program for the sake of continuity and leadership. The guy has a lot of physical talent but just hasn't put it all together yet but I think he will if he keeps working.

Needs to look at what Harrelson did after pretty much everybody wrote him off as a non-contributor. He ended up being one of the most beloved players in UK history.

He's had a frustrating year (though he has improved) but he is an important part of this team and the Cats are going to need him at some point during this tournament.

I like Humphries and hope he sticks around. Cal needs to keep guys like him in the program for the sake of continuity and leadership. The guy has a lot of physical talent but just hasn't put it all together yet but I think he will if he keeps working.

Needs to look at what Harrelson did after pretty much everybody wrote him off as a non-contributor. He ended up being one of the most beloved players in UK history.

He's had a frustrating year (though he has improved) but he is an important part of this team and the Cats are going to need him at some point during this tournament.

dont see humphries ever being a leader. much like willis isnt a leader on this team. leaders are usually your best players.

Oh good, the rare double double. One, a chance for SOME fans to obsess over meaningless comments.

And two, a chance for SOME fans to bash one of our players.

Smh

Reactions: crestcat
Heard that. Wasn't thinking he was a candidate for transfer, but now I think he might be. He was looking to be our second most experienced returning player behind Gabriel, so if he and Briscoe leave, we will be Gabriel and all new players. I hope that isn't the case.

How do you know Gabriel is not going to try the NBA after this year? I agree he should come back, but what I, or others think don't count. Only thing that matters is what he wants to do.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

And did you read the entire article, or just skim it and make assumptions? If you didn't read it, here's a huge piece from Hump that clearly contradicts your statement:

"...I’m trying to finish the season, finish March Madness because it’s about the team right now. It’s not about me. I’ve gotta finish that out and then kinda weigh my options. But Kentucky’s obviously a great place for development. I’m not gonna look past that at all.”
The Dude killing people with facts......:boxing:[smoke]

Reactions: TheDude73
Humphries is a career backup. Sorry if that is mean, but he was a backup last year, even Skal was getting more time, and bigs were needed.

This year he backs up Bam, next year Richards. He may get a bigger role his senior year, but it would probably be wise for him to look elsewhere if playing time is the issue.

I did see in the Alabama tournament game Hump came in for one play and then he was called back out. I could read his lips he had a smirk and said WHAT?!? so it could be he is frustrated. We all love Briscoe but I stick to my guns NO NBA teams drafts him. Yes I hope they do, we all know his weaknesses.

I did see in the Alabama tournament game Hump came in for one play and then he was called back out. I could read his lips he had a smirk and said WHAT?!? so it could be he is frustrated. We all love Briscoe but I stick to my guns NO NBA teams drafts him. Yes I hope they do, we all know his weaknesses.

wish we had a list for all the basketball experts on here who said skal wouldnt go first round or do anything in the NBA.

wish we had a list for all the basketball experts on here who said skal wouldnt go first round or do anything in the NBA.
Well I'm no expert, but skal has huge sealing, could shoot, block, and defend. All they needed to work on for Skal was toughness, and rebounding.

except we don't really know exactly HOW he answered the question - we only know the writer's spin on it

Give me a break...the weakest??? I guess you've been around a "weak" or so....
I can guarantee I've been around longer than you have; try about 50 years of watching UK basketball. Since you're such an expert tell me another 7 footer than was physically weaker than Humphries.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT