ADVERTISEMENT

Huge week for Pope and UK (Norlander)

Look who is back. Lordy, Lordy. How is Cal doing?
What kind of idiot are you to make a statement like that? I was right in the thick of the charge to get cal out. I have and all should have legit concerns about pope ability to recruit.

What needle was moved last year with the #1 recruiting class?!
OIP.qnC8_sA55gWreynQKYC9WwHaHa

Our current starting lineup if all come that are currently visiting:

Chandler - hasn't played in 2 years, Saunders bench BYU, Perry top 80 freshman, Williams all conference but small conference, Player to be named later.

Now you see why many people have legit concerns.

Chandler - hasn't played in 2 years, Saunders bench BYU, Perry top 80 freshman, Williams all conference but small conference, Player to be named later.

Lot of the guys we will have will be bigger, stronger, tougher, experienced and coached better. We started pretty much from scratch, I am pleased so far with the way the roster is coming together.

OR....
First of all, no one reasonable thinks Perry, Chandler or even Saunders will start at UK next year. Many of the big pieces are dragging it out (to get as much as they can), and some haven't even entered the portal yet (probably due to expiring NIL deals).

Chandler, has had 2 years to go from a HS boy to a young Man. You can't replicate maturity. And by the way he was a top 40 recruit comparable in ranking to SGA and Herro.

Saunders was 6th in minutes for a top 25 team that played in the toughest conference.
Perry, we've all complained about the 1-yr merry-go-round Cal turned UK into, begging for players to be here 3-4 years. Well, here's one!
Williams was not only all-conference, but 3-time Defensive POY. Other players who started out in a small conference (many with less impressive small-conf resumes) but this year were very successful for a top P5 school (Knetcht, Reeves, Abmas, Kolek, Newton, Spencer, Sears, Estrada, Broome, Clayton, Pullin, Tolu Smith, Jaylen Murray, Mack, Lance Jones, Tyson Walker, Domask, Keshad Johnson, and I'm sure I missed some).

So you just sound stupid.

Antonio Reeves came from Illinois State. Remember when everyone was questioning why UK would take him? I do.

I don't know if both are happening today or not but just because he is visiting JQ today wouldn't rule out the visit still happening.
Too lazy to back track but thought I saw a few days ago Osobor would visit "Tuesday or Wednesday." FWIW.

Get these bigs locked up hopefully and then gotta get some guards.

Who are the guards we are rumored to be recruiting the most right now? Need some offensive fire power. Although I’m sure more will enter the portal soon.

OR....
First of all, no one reasonable thinks Perry, Chandler or even Saunders will start at UK next year. Many of the big pieces are dragging it out (to get as much as they can), and some haven't even entered the portal yet (probably due to expiring NIL deals).

Chandler, has had 2 years to go from a HS boy to a young Man. You can't replicate maturity. And by the way he was a top 40 recruit comparable in ranking to SGA and Herro.

Saunders was 6th in minutes for a top 25 team that played in the toughest conference.
Perry, we've all complained about the 1-yr merry-go-round Cal turned UK into, begging for players to be here 3-4 years. Well, here's one!
Williams was not only all-conference, but 3-time Defensive POY. Other players who started out in a small conference (many with less impressive small-conf resumes) but this year were very successful for a top P5 school (Knetcht, Reeves, Abmas, Kolek, Newton, Spencer, Sears, Estrada, Broome, Clayton, Pullin, Tolu Smith, Jaylen Murray, Mack, Lance Jones, Tyson Walker, Domask, Keshad Johnson, and I'm sure I missed some).

So you just sound stupid.
You don't sound stupid you are stupid if you think Williams can be a Knetcht or Reeves. Or if you think Chandler is in way similar to Herro or SGA. LMAO

You don't sound stupid you are stupid if you think Williams can be a Knetcht or Reeves. Or if you think Chandler is in way similar to Herro or SGA. LMAO

None of those guys you mentioned even made it to an FF thanks to Cal’s horse shit coaching. Meanwhile Purdue playing in the title game with a bunch of gym rats. I’ll take my chances thanks… “LMAO”

UK doesn't seem to be leading for anyone right now except for Robinson if he pulls out of the draft.Surprising with so much playing time and NIL.
I'm not as concerned with not landing a lot of guys yet---you have a lot of roster spots to fill, $ to offer and are trying to blend a team-they've yet to finalize the Coaching Staff too. Remember there are a lot of guys who are in Portal and entered the NBA too-and you can go recruit the G-League and NBA Combines--that's allowed so you send your staff there and talk with players about their options, etc..this is where Grant Nelson blew up last year for example and schools jumped in with him.

Main thing is keep getting guys to visit and lock another 1/2 down and you can start blending a team together. Kentucky is going to attract a lot of people--but it has to be a fit. For instance the Elijah Hawkins thing---great as it sounds--he's a 5'9 guard (don't buy the 5'11 talk) who can't shoot and despite being quick isn't a great defensive player. But he's an option and they need guard play badly but if you rush now....maybe you end missing on someone better or maybe someone better is telling them he's coming and they want to keep it quiet so other schools start spending more $ elsewhere. If they start landing guys and we're all side eyeing it-then we'll be concerned. First order of business this week for me -finish the staff hires and announce it!

I'm not as concerned with not landing a lot of guys yet---you have a lot of roster spots to fill, $ to offer and are trying to blend a team-they've yet to finalize the Coaching Staff too. Remember there are a lot of guys who are in Portal and entered the NBA too-and you can go recruit the G-League and NBA Combines--that's allowed so you send your staff there and talk with players about their options, etc..this is where Grant Nelson blew up last year for example and schools jumped in with him.

Main thing is keep getting guys to visit and lock another 1/2 down and you can start blending a team together. Kentucky is going to attract a lot of people--but it has to be a fit. For instance the Elijah Hawkins thing---great as it sounds--he's a 5'9 guard (don't buy the 5'11 talk) who can't shoot and despite being quick isn't a great defensive player. But he's an option and they need guard play badly but if you rush now....maybe you end missing on someone better or maybe someone better is telling them he's coming and they want to keep it quiet so other schools start spending more $ elsewhere. If they start landing guys and we're all side eyeing it-then we'll be concerned. First order of business this week for me -finish the staff hires and announce it!
Great post RDF!!
Especially agree about getting Brooks on board
To me that’s the most important decision we have at the moment!

I know it’s hard for you, but don’t be an idiot. I did not say X would be as good as Y. I said this group of players that you are belittling comes from the same level as this group who became (just 1-2 years later) some of the best in college basketball. There were many on here 2 years ago (you were probably 2 of them), even last summer, ignorantly saying Reeves is a mid-major not good enough for UK and not as good as future pro 5* players. He was a freakin AA level player this year!
No Chandler may not be SGA, or maybe he will. No one knows. Maybe he will be a Hood, or somewhere in between. But when SGA came, he was not expected to be as good as he was, no where close.

Yes, great read. And I look at some of these players that are coming here that some people rant and rave, “they aren’t the caliber players we need” for instance this Chandler kid, do you think for the last two years of his mission that he hasn’t been maturing and working on his game. A lot of these kids that play on what some people say nobody teams go to those teams and work on their game and mature.. then they see that they’re ready to move up and come in on teams that all the Burger boys have declared for the pro G league. So I trust in pope that with his help he can help them serve their goals.. just my two cents worth.

Yes, great read. And I look at some of these players that are coming here that some people rant and rave, “they aren’t the caliber players we need” for instance this Chandler kid, do you think for the last two years of his mission that he hasn’t been maturing and working on his game. A lot of these kids that play on what some people say nobody teams go to those teams and work on their game and mature.. then they see that they’re ready to move up and come in on teams that all the Burger boys have declared for the pro G league. So I trust in pope that with his help he can help them serve their goals.. just my two cents worth.
Those 2 years can make a big difference in physical development. Few FR come in developed like Randle or Bam, or even Wallace.
As for rankings, they are FUTURE PROJECTIONS, not based on where the player is at "now", and are often wrong. Chandler was ranked 37, right? Other not-top-20 ranked players under Cal include:
21 Lamb
21 Ulis
22 Wiltjer
22 Quickley
22 Bledsoe
28 I.Jackson
28 Sheppard
29 Booker
34 SGA
34 Juzang
36 Herro
39 Hopkins