ADVERTISEMENT

How will Cal's Apologists Explain the Home Court Meltdowns?

YWbFJed.jpeg

After the Canada trip I really thought this years team may be the one to "turn the corner" and get UK back to Cal's early success at Kentucky, but right now it seriously is vibing like the horrible run of seasons from 2005-2009!!!!
And I do not see any improvement to believe otherwise, 3-4 over the last seven games!!

In the last seven games (3-4), UK is averaging 85.0-ppg while giving up 86.1-ppg!!!!!
I'm really expecting no better than 5-5 to close out the season........

Because UK absolutely cannot play good defense against better teams, so please Cal, stop the insanity of trying to outscore teams, implement a zone (I KNOW IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN) because if this team hasn't learned or have been taught the fundamental way to play disciplined defense thru 21-games, they are not going to be able to execute it in the next ten!!!!

SEC snapshot record for coaches at end of their UK careers...........
JVC: 29-23/ 55.7% (2020-2024) 🤔😯🤮🤬

BCG: 20-12/ 62.5% (2007-2009)
OTS: 45-19/ 68.2% (2003-2007)

• Wow
Reactions: chroix and catben
You know we don’t have our full roster?

And if DJ plays we win, except the games he did play and we lost.

Think about if Ugo and Bradshaw was there to shut down Dickinson. 40-0

I’m sorry I can’t do this anymore, I have tears in my eyes from laughing.😂

The coach is soft, so the players are soft.

The coach doesn’t get pissed about losing, so the players don’t get pissed off about losing.

The coach is focused on the NBA draft, so the players are focused on the NBA draft.

See a pattern?

Monkey see, monkey do.

You know we don’t have our full roster?

And if DJ plays we win, except the games he did play and we lost.

Think about if Ugo and Bradshaw was there to shut down Dickinson. 40-0

I’m sorry I can’t do this anymore, I have tears in my eyes from laughing.😂
Lol you think DJ playing would have equaled a win? Funny.

His defense is terrible just like the rest of them. The only thing he would’ve done was take shots away from Rob. Instead of 35 points from him you’d probably get 15-20. DJ would’ve have scored 15-20. But, let’s just say he did. UK still loses by 10 plus. Your point is moot.

We should not have lost to Florida, period! Tennessee has a really good experienced team capable on any given night of beating anyone. I’ve seen them play several games. Don’t be fooled by Knecht. He’s good, but the supporting cast is good to. If you notice, Knecht scores 30-35 points when the rest of the team struggles. When the rest are clicking, they’re just dang hard to beat. I hope Knecht goes off for 40 points in Knoxville. That means we will beat them.

Reactions: ib4ky
The old excuses are wearing thin.....time for some newer and better excuses. After all, this team is loaded with 5 stars and was the #1 recruiting class again and again.
I'm an older guy so I'm used to losing one or two games at Rupp in a year we aren't very good so losing 4-5 in a year shocks me. I will say that I don't think Rupp has ever been the home court edge that Kansas or Duke has; their fans are loud and wild. I think part of it is letting more students in near the court. Rupp's lower section has too many old codgers like me for whom standing up is painful.

Good lovin and home cookin. Move them out of the lodge and into a trailer park. No conjugal visits and Pop tarts at every meal.

Last nights loss isn’t as concerning as the Fla game IMO. I understand losing to a top 5 team with a couple guys out but not an unranked team. Don’t get it twisted though. UKs defense and effort was terrible at times against UT. Rebounding is still the biggest issue and the reason why the offense can’t carry the team.

Reactions: ib4ky and Cats192
In the off-season, I wanted Cal gone. Once we got to this point, I decided I'd approach it with an open mind. And a lot of things have gotten better. We prioritized shooters. We run a more modernized offense.

But we are always going to have to win in spite of him. At the end of the 1st half, we didn't call a timeout. I think Rob was sitting with 2 fouls. There was 20 seconds left. Put Rob out there and let him take the last shot. But instead we wind up with Tre Mitchell taking a 20 foot jumper off of 1 foot. What?!

Rob was red hot all game. Cal just randomly pulls him for Edwards at one point in the 1st half. And that was before the 2nd foul. It's ridiculous.

The defense is inexplicably bad. Like, I really don't understand how we can be so bad. We give up open 3 after open 3. We let UT set the off ball screen, and just quit trying to guard the man that went behind the screen. And I guess if you think that's the shot you want them to take, cool. But, they couldn't miss.

No one can stay in front of their man. The bigs get boxed in by their defender. Ziggler had easy lay up after easy lay up.

We don't run out of bounds plays.

We don't guard out of bounds lays.

There's just too much to overcome year after year. When Cal has had elite talent, he could get by with this stuff. These guys are really good. They're just not good enough to overcome all of his coaching flaws.

Having a FULL roster of players available gives you a better chance to win because there are mor options to choose from, BUT, DJ is not the panacea to the issues with this team, he is just a contributor to the overall.

(Points Per 100-possessions)
BEST Offense For UK In Conference
Thierro 133.0
Shepherd 124.9
UGO 124.9
BEST Defense For UK In Conference
Z 99.2
UGO 104.4
Shepherd 111.0
BEST Offense/ Defense Difference For UK In Conference
Thierro +20.9
UGO +20.5
Z +16.7
Worst Offense/ Defense Difference For UK In Conference
Edwards -25.1
Wagner -12.8
Dilly -4.2
Reeves -1.0

They'll tell us to stop being so miserable and that we're haters. They'll tell us to just enjoy it, that Cal is a hall of famer and that it will be scary bad when Cal is gone.

They'll tell us to stop being so miserable and that we're haters. They'll tell us to just enjoy it, that Cal is a hall of famer and that it will be scary bad when Cal is gone.

A You-Tube video popped up in my video feed yesterday after my son and I had watched some classic vids of our former favorite UK teams. This vid was by a channel called MattBeGreat and the video is called “The Harsh Truth about John Calipari and Kentucky”. Evidently he is an Alabama football and basketball fan. But at the end he talks about how used to fear UK and now he looks forward to playing UK and hopes CCC is here for a long time. There wasn’t much in his video that I remember disagreeing with.

Can’t explain it. No excuse. Should never happen but has become the norm. Injuries happen. No excuse.

I recall many years ago, we were preparing to play #1 (I think) Norte Dame In Freedom hall. 2 of our starters got suspended (dirk Minnefield?) and we had to start a walk-on pg, Bo Lanter (Todd’s dad). UK still won. THAT IS the UK I want.

His defense is terrible just like the rest of them. The only thing he would’ve done was take shots away from Rob. Instead of 35 points from him you’d probably get 15-20. DJ would’ve have scored 15-20. But, let’s just say he did. UK still loses by 10 plus. Your point is moot.
Don’t know about this. But the Cats are better with him playing than not. Helps with rotations if nothing else. Well maybe. Cal might have 4 non-shooters in the floor at once if he was available.

You read that post and took it seriously?

The dude said he had to stop because what he was typing made him laugh.

I know sarcasm is hard to read sometimes but the dude made it clear as day.

Reactions: UK_fan_41102
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT