ADVERTISEMENT

How the Offense Changes Under Sawyer Smith

The little things scare me about SS being so new to the team.

Snap exchange under center
Shot gun
Mesh point exchanges with green rbs
False starts
Settting protections

Not to say SS can’t do it, just that he’s only had 1 week to prepare with this crew... now going up against Granthams blitzfest.

I think we see plenty of mistakes this week. Naturally.

Anything can happen he’s seemed to be a decisive qb in what I’ve seen he’s gotten plenty of reps. I don’t blame you for being concerned they will get some pressure but the only way they get consistent pressure is if our O line plays poor... He won’t have all day the key to this game imo comes down to us having the ability to force Franks to beat us due to green Db’s... I like our chances if he has to throw it more then 35-40 attempts

I wanna see a change in the RB’s carry distribution. I know Rose has great speed and Vision but I believe Smoke is just better with very limited experience he’s already impressed his average is ridiculous I know we haven’t played Bama but he understands cutback lanes while also getting the most out of what’s blocked up... Hash/Numbers/Sideline is Rose bread and butter Smoke can do that plus he has some shake along with the best hands in the backfield according to Gran.

I think Smoke is 800+ yard back if he gets 15+ carries a game. There’s no certain formula in any game we just have to start fast. I like a game plan with random shots and change of tempo on conversions and big plays...

Last edited:
Kentucky offensive coordinator Eddie Gran isn’t worried about Smith blanking on where to throw. Because Smith missed spring practice, coaches initially weren’t sure how fast Smith could pick up the offense.“What do we have to do if something happens to Terry?” Gran said. “Do we need to change game plans? Do we need to go into games with two different game plans?” But Smith had erased those concerns by the end of preseason camp. “He learned it so quick,” Gran said. “We didn’t have to do anything different.”

The Wildcats also don’t need to change much because Smith plays a similar style to Wilson — even if he doesn’t believe it. “Terry does things I can’t do,” Smith said. “He’s fast fast. He’s twitchy. I’d love to be that fast.”

Smith is fast enough. Before Barker’s injury last season, Troy coaches would bring in Smith as a Wildcat quarterback of sorts. On Smith’s second snap against Nebraska last season, he raced for a 57-yard gain that ultimately set up a touchdown.

https://theathletic.com/1204279/201...ess-led-to-sawyer-smith-starting-at-kentucky/
I look for a bunch of QUICK screens to the outside with Bowden and others at the beginning of the game.. similar to what the Patriots did to the Seahawks in the 2015 Super Bowl to slow down the pass rush.. Establish the tempo and keep their defense guessing... I also look for a couple of deep balls on first down...

Reactions: UKUGA
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT