ADVERTISEMENT

How the Cal Era ends...

Cal stays one more year maximum.

He goes to Southern Cal or UCLA.

He'll have Quaintance for his first year at Kentucky. Cal then lands a few elite guys from the Dynbantsa, Thomas, Wilson, Johnson, Acuff class. He convinces them to follow him out West. Quaintance transfers to whichever westcoast school Calipari chooses because he would still be ineligible for the draft in his second year.

He leaves Kentucky completely bare and leads UCLA or USC to a top 5 ranking with Quintance and Dybantsa being his all-american level players.

It would be Cal's parking "Eff you" to BBN.

This is how it ends, with Cal sticking a knife into our neck as firmly as possible.
Wherever he goes he can take all the kids he wants. Take them all. College freshmen are no longer a game changer in cbb. It’s why we have been sucking especially the 20-21 season. And why the trend has been down since 15. They are physically and mentally weak compared to 23-24 year olds. Whoever coaches after cal will have a top 5-10 roster with legit college players. We have a team of top 10 freshmen and can’t win with them.

He hasn't gotten many John Walls or Anthony Davis's lately. That's his major issue. Bradshaw and Edwards are clearly not on that level. A second year from Quaintance and landing Dybantsa could put him back in that position.
There aren’t any John walls or ADs any longer because of reclassification and other options. And the fact of the game changing so much due to nil no one can say how an ad would fair today. He might be beat up by mid season

How would we feel if he retired from coaching and took an ambassador position? He could help get facilities upgraded, continue to scout top talent and help lure them to UK, but they would play for another coach. Thoughts?
Will. Not. Work.

No good coach in his right mind would take the UK job and have Cal still around in the middle of everything.......could probably get Brad.

He hasn't gotten many John Walls or Anthony Davis's lately. That's his major issue. Bradshaw and Edwards are clearly not on that level. A second year from Quaintance and landing Dybantsa could put him back in that position.
That’s because there are none to get. Cal put all his eggs in the one and done basket. AAU has destroyed high school talent. Handlers won’t play in any game defense will be played. It a dunk, shoot athlete show. Not real basketball. Bledsoe, Teague, Bam, Livingston ect all looked like Greek gods at 18. Freshman now look like Edwards, Bradshaw, Boston and TyTy. There are no Anthony Davis / Wall/ Cousins out there anymore. No one is getting them because they don’t exist

He'll have Quaintance for his first year at Kentucky. Cal then lands a few elite guys from the Dynbantsa, Thomas, Wilson, Johnson, Acuff class. He convinces them to follow him out West. Quaintance transfers to whichever westcoast school Calipari chooses because he would still be ineligible for the draft in his second year.

He leaves Kentucky completely bare and leads UCLA or USC to a top 5 ranking with Quintance and Dybantsa being his all-american level players.

This is how it ends, with Cal sticking a knife into our neck as firmly as possible.
Cal is not going to lead anyone to a top 5 ranking by the end of a season unless he learns to coach and adapt to the game as it is played right now, and hire an assistant who is a defensive guru.

I’m not going to pretend I know what Cal is thinking post-UK, but I think it’s more likely he hangs it up here and takes a cushy 6-8 appearances a year studio TV contract from CBS or ESPN. The guy is already 65 years old and coaching looks like it exhausts him.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
I wonder if Richie Farmer ever thinks, “Cal is getting away with WAY more than I did! Abuse of Power? Misappropriation of funds? Gimme a break! I went to prison for less”.

😂😂

Reactions: ukjenning44
I’m not sure how or when the Cal era ends, but I can make you a promise that you can take to the bank…

He’s never going to win anything, anywhere, doing the things he’s doing now! I don’t care about the 2025 class or anything else, Cal will be their coach, and Cal will have them fail! Period 🎯

Reactions: UKNothinButNet
It looks like the Coach Cal era is going to end like a fart in the wind.

Fart in the wind definition:
A strong stench at first that slowly blows away so everyone gets a smell...

Reactions: NociHTTP
Will Ferrell Loser GIF
Basically, you come around once a year to call someone a loser. Nice.

It cracks me up every time someone suggests that Cal will burn the program to the ground on the way out the door.

I always like when you post. For many reasons

I assume that’s the narrative bc of how it went down at Memphis. If I remember correctly, Cousins, Wall, Bledsoe, Xavier Henry (maybe) were all going to Memphis or leaning that way. They didn’t get any of those players and most followed Cal.

Nah, but if I did make a movie plot about Cal leaving, I'd title it Johnny's Exit, and feature something akin to the ending of Dick Tracy when Big Boy and the gang ride out to their imminent deaths in a blaze of glory. Of course, Calipari would have to be played by Al Pacino or De Niro.

Cal would be in the apartment next door or parked around the corner waiting on a chance to run without being seen wetting his pants hoping no one found him...

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
And the guy coming to Kentucky after Cal leaves will bring his guys…. and so it goes.

Tyler Ulis is bringing his Posse? Sign me up! Call him interim, call him anything, I'd sure like to see TU take a more significant role just to see what happens...

Reactions: NociHTTP

I don’t know about all of that but it is certainly ending with a whimper.

It will be flames and the smell of brimstone. He will burn it to the ground and then leave.

How would we feel if he retired from coaching and took an ambassador position? He could help get facilities upgraded, continue to scout top talent and help lure them to UK, but they would play for another coach. Thoughts?
It's kinda like when you break up with a girl and you say, "we will still be friends!" It sounds nice and all but just ends up being awkward, causing more hurt and delaying the process of moving on. A clean break is best.

Reactions: cathouse
We're not Memphis, you can't burn UK's program to the ground very easily in one big move. But... you can chip away at it little by little over time like erosion - which is what Cal has been doing for quite awhile.

Leave him here long enough and there won't be much to burn.

Last edited:

I would take it, because we know what he does in the tournament

I completely agree. Just like he did with Wall, Cousins and Bledsoe. As much as I'd like to see another coach, we'd be screwed for a couple of years. The best scenario is offer him an administrative job in athletic dept., he accept saying it is his idea and make him in charge of recruiting. Then immediately fire Barnhart. And since I'm dreaming, let there be world peace.

UCLA lololol what a Joke . They wont even provide money to upgrade the damn weight room much less pay a coach 10 million per year . what a post of a nothing burger

All you wishful thinker, keep buying your lottery tickets so you can retire.
Yet Cal's agent was able to scare MB into believing UCLA would fork over $10M to take Cal away from him.

Lol. There is your joke for the day. Talk about winning the lottery. And Cal didn't even have to buy a ticket.

Lifetime contract babeee!!

I think there's a good way to do it.

Step aside. Show immediate support for the new coach. Say publicly from day 1 that you're staying out of his way and you're going to be hands off when it comes to the on the court stuff.

Go out and recruit the recruiting class to stay with the new coach. That would really ease the year 1 transition.

Then he can do all of these interviews and talk up how great Kentucky is, do some charity stuff, and be home in time to watch his TV shows and love on his wife and dog.
I don't want to see Cal using some sort of coachspeak to undermine a new coach. If he leaves his position he needs to GTFO of Lexington altogether.

Reactions: cathouse
  • Love
Reactions: Fox2monk

Wrong school but pretty spot on, sucks we won’t get AJ now that’s about all I’m sad about.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT