ADVERTISEMENT

How the Cal Era ends...

Son_Of_Saul

All-American
Dec 7, 2007
Cal stays one more year maximum.

He goes to Southern Cal or UCLA.

He'll have Quaintance for his first year at Kentucky. Cal then lands a few elite guys from the Dynbantsa, Thomas, Wilson, Johnson, Acuff class. He convinces them to follow him out West. Quaintance transfers to whichever westcoast school Calipari chooses because he would still be ineligible for the draft in his second year.

He leaves Kentucky completely bare and leads UCLA or USC to a top 5 ranking with Quintance and Dybantsa being his all-american level players.

It would be Cal's parking "Eff you" to BBN.

This is how it ends, with Cal sticking a knife into our neck as firmly as possible.

And with his top 5 rank he loses in the round of 32 to a team with a bunch of players you’ll never hear of again but with a coach who understands basketball.
I could actually see him making a run if he had a sophomore Quaintance and a freshman Dybantsa leading his team. Your option is more probable, but we all know Cal is capable when he has top 5 picks on his roster.

I could actually see him making a run if he had a sophomore Quaintance and a freshman Dybantsa leading his team. Your option is more probable, but we all know Cal is capable when he has top 5 picks on his roster.

Having top 5 picks definitely use to help. Now I’m just not sure he’s got it anymore.

Maybe the poor ending at UK reignites his will to win. However, based on the coaching we’ve seen from him the last several years and the performance from UK players in the NBA, I wonder how much of these guys aren’t top 5 because of Cal’s poor coaching.

He’s continues to get top 1 and 2 recruiting classes and even some top 5 players. Then they come here, underwhelm, fall out of the top 5 draft spots, and we do it all again next year. I mean Bradshaw and Edwards were 2 and 3 in this years class according to Rivals rankings. And maybe all the scouts had it wrong or maybe Cal can’t coach anymore.

Having top 5 picks definitely use to help. Now I’m just not sure he’s got it anymore.

Maybe the poor ending at UK reignites his will to win. However, based on the coaching we’ve seen from him the last several years and the performance from UK players in the NBA, I wonder how much of these guys aren’t top 5 because of Cal’s poor coaching.

He’s continues to get top 1 and 2 recruiting classes and even some top 5 players. Then they come here, underwhelm, fall out of the top 5 draft spots, and we do it all again next year. I mean Bradshaw and Edwards were 2 and 3 in this years class according to Rivals rankings. And maybe all the scouts had it wrong or maybe Cal can’t coach anymore.
He hasn't gotten many John Walls or Anthony Davis's lately. That's his major issue. Bradshaw and Edwards are clearly not on that level. A second year from Quaintance and landing Dybantsa could put him back in that position.

We just making up movie plots and posting them now? What a ridiculous post.
Nah, but if I did make a movie plot about Cal leaving, I'd title it Johnny's Exit, and feature something akin to the ending of Dick Tracy when Big Boy and the gang ride out to their imminent deaths in a blaze of glory. Of course, Calipari would have to be played by Al Pacino or De Niro.

Reactions: $Z71$
If he cant win here, he cant win anywhere....as he says "he is what he is" He had a great USA team and couldn't beat Canada with their one very good but as we have seen not a superstar RJ Barrett. I dont dislike him personally he is a friendly guy, but as anyone in business will tell you when you are dealing with a emotional issue "Look at the numbers"

Like tubby 10 loss calipari and other schools dominating the sec man has this guy become a huge disappointment hopefully that school North of us will come and relieve bbn we are in desperate need of a change

Reactions: NociHTTP

He'll have Quaintance for his first year at Kentucky. Cal then lands a few elite guys from the Dynbantsa, Thomas, Wilson, Johnson, Acuff class. He convinces them to follow him out West. Quaintance transfers to whichever westcoast school Calipari chooses because he would still be ineligible for the draft in his second year.

He leaves Kentucky completely bare and leads UCLA or USC to a top 5 ranking with Quintance and Dybantsa being his all-american level players.

This is how it ends, with Cal sticking a knife into our neck as firmly as possible.
I believe this is a best case scenario for Cal . I don’t believe all/any of this will happen though. Even if it did , it would still be well worth it.

How would we feel if he retired from coaching and took an ambassador position? He could help get facilities upgraded, continue to scout top talent and help lure them to UK, but they would play for another coach. Thoughts?

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
I don't think he has much left in the tank. I think leaving Kentucky to go to less of a pressure cooker would be admitting defeat and he isn't someone that will do that.

Stepping into the administration/ambassador role, he can sing some warm, feel good song about why he's switching roles.

IF he does infact leave UK and takes the talent with him--cool. If we have to rebuild over a few years, I'd rather do that--and feel like we're building towards a future of success than another 4 years of the crap we've seen.

But also, I don't know that it'll be some long rebuild. The coach that we get will probably bring some players with him. If you love Scott Drew, Tommy Lloyd, Nate Oats, etc. at their current school--you're really going to love them at a blue blood school. They can work the transfer portal and build the roster up quickly.

My thinking/hope is that if Cal flames out this year--he'll feel enough heat and step aside. I've heard "Mitch wants Scott Drew" enough that I believe it. If we get him going into next season, he'll bring kids from Baylor. He'll bring VJ Edgecombe. We'll probably lose some of Cal's recruits, but I think Drew will be able to convince some of them to stay with us.

How would we feel if he retired from coaching and took an ambassador position? He could help get facilities upgraded, continue to scout top talent and help lure them to UK, but they would play for another coach. Thoughts?
I use to be intrigued be it, but now I think I’d want him far away from the program. It feels we’re at a point where both Cal and BBN need a break from one another. Let Cal retire, go do something else, and down the road we can all come back to celebrate the 2012 title team.

I use to be intrigued be it, but now I think I’d want him far away from the program. It feels we’re at a point where both Cal and BBN need a break from one another. Let Cal retire, go do something else, and down the road we can all come back to celebrate the 2012 title team.
I think there's a good way to do it.

Step aside. Show immediate support for the new coach. Say publicly from day 1 that you're staying out of his way and you're going to be hands off when it comes to the on the court stuff.

Go out and recruit the recruiting class to stay with the new coach. That would really ease the year 1 transition.

Then he can do all of these interviews and talk up how great Kentucky is, do some charity stuff, and be home in time to watch his TV shows and love on his wife and dog.

The portal could be our saving grace. Whenever Cal leaves I assumed we would have at least one really bad season. The right hire could prevent that.

I think there's a good way to do it.

Step aside. Show immediate support for the new coach. Say publicly from day 1 that you're staying out of his way and you're going to be hands off when it comes to the on the court stuff.

Go out and recruit the recruiting class to stay with the new coach. That would really ease the year 1 transition.

Then he can do all of these interviews and talk up how great Kentucky is, do some charity stuff, and be home in time to watch his TV shows and love on his wife and dog.
If it worked out exactly like that, then maybe. I do not see it working though. Coaches have egos. I don’t see Cal wanting to be second fiddle to the new coach, and I have a hard time seeing a new coach wanting that scenario to happen. The guys they want, may be completely different from what Cal looks for in players.

Frankly, I would prefer a clean break from all things Cal for awhile.

So I've read countless times on this board if Cal leaves and takes his recruits with him it's fine because we'd be starting over. Tons of people have said they'd gladly trade a few down years with a less talented team if it means Cal leaves. Now all of a sudden that's sticking a knife into our neck?

And what coach in the country doesn't try to take his recruits or players with him if he leaves? That's exactly how we got Wall, Cousins, and Bledsoe and I don't recall anyone complaining when that happened.

So I've read countless times on this board if Cal leaves and takes his recruits with him it's fine because we'd be starting over. Tons of people have said they'd gladly trade a few down years with a less talented team if it means Cal leaves. Now all of a sudden that's sticking a knife into our neck?

And what coach in the country doesn't try to take his recruits or players with him if he leaves? That's exactly how we got Wall, Cousins, and Bledsoe and I don't recall anyone complaining when that happened.
Both things can be true.

Cal leaving the cupboard bare and taking his guys to UCLA would be sticking a knife in our neck.
We'll also be fine. And if we have a few down years, ok. At least we'd be building for the future for a change.

2jxZlc.gif

Both things can be true.

Cal leaving the cupboard bare and taking his guys to UCLA would be sticking a knife in our neck.
We'll also be fine. And if we have a few down years, ok. At least we'd be building for the future for a change.
Is it sticking a knife in our neck or is it just what normally happens during a coaching change? Coaches take their recruits and team with them in the transfer portal era, that's just how it works. No one is going to land a top 5 recruiting class, leave for a new school, and not try to take those players with them.

It’s not likely a high power 5 school pursues a 65 yr old Cal that’s declining , and on the tail end of his career . There’s no logic for $7-8 mil for Cal , versus $3-5 for someone on the upswing . Especially now , when the portal means as much as recruiting the top 20 HS players ..which is Cal’s specialty . If it made sense , Ohio State would pursue him…they have as much money as any athletic dept

True

A mid major desperate to win will. Ask St John's
Really no evidence Pitino has ever been in any sort of decline , tho . You’re right on a mid major trying to make a splash ….that was Memphis & High Point’s thoughts when they both hired Tubby, but he’d mailed it in years ago .

Unless Cal gets 21 year old Jordan, Magic and Bird, he isn't going anywhere. Jordan would be injured and Bird would ride the pine while Cal plays a limited offensive player that made a stop once. Time to hang it up.

Part of that is Cal’s fault and part of it is the involvement of parents and agents in kids decisions. Willis Reed ain’t limping out there again in the modern era I think. Dunno if it’s good or bad. You love the glory of the hero in the moment but when you see the Earl Campbells of the world it should at least give you pause.

• Sad
Reactions: BBUK

He and the AD have to go.

As long as the cal era ends, I can live with this. Cal era needed to end 5 years ago, just end it already!!

My first thought is that he would continue infecting UK with his OAD mentality, would be involved with their camps. He needs to be far removed from UK. His lack of success isn't just because of in-game decisions.

We all know Cal is capable, when he has John Robic sitting beside him on the bench holding his hand & coaching his team for him.All of Calipari's 6 Final Fours have been with Robic at his side. Without Robic Cal has been to a grand total ZERO Final Fours.

Generally his classes are not a good fit that compliment each other but just athletes with holes in the lineup. Every coach takes their guys or attempts to. We all knew when he came here when he left he would leave team in a bad way. I personally hope it isn’t Scott Drew but whoever it is let’s just get it started and rip the bandaid off.

Reactions: BBUK

Disagree. Everyone said this would be his last year b/c he wanted to coach DJ. Now he's said basically he's going nowhere.

Unless he's fired, we're stuck with him through 2029.

Will Ferrell Loser GIF

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT