ADVERTISEMENT

How much will Mitch offer Hurley?

We should still force a team that has won 2 natties at our expense to pay hand over fist to keep their coach.

I would offer Hurley 12 million, it would force UConn to pay at least 8-9 to hold onto Hurley. Which, as others have pointed out, not having football money coming in, it actually would be a little painful for them to pay that, even though they would.
None of that matters. These salaries are not paid by football money anyway, they're paid by boosters. UConn has a shit ton of wealthy NYC and Boston area boosters who would easily write that check given what he's done the last two years.

yep, my uncle in 98 got a military industrial complex vice president job in the boston area......... moved to conn and used helicopter flights to go back and forth. They were recruited into the UConn booster scene and liked the social life of it. They had very elite wealthy people including ESPN big wigs in their circle that were pulling strings for UConn. I was told, "its not coincidence that the rise of ESPN was the rise of Jim Calhoun and UConn as well"
UConn = Industry plant

We should still force a team that has won 2 natties at our expense to pay hand over fist to keep their coach.

I would offer Hurley 12 million, it would force UConn to pay at least 8-9 to hold onto Hurley. Which, as others have pointed out, not having football money coming in, it actually would be a little painful for them to pay that, even though they would.
now that is thinking outside the box and intelligent. if we can force UConn into paying a ton for him, then boosters etc would be paying that instead of paying off the NCAA and refs to get the calls they do. Pretty much assuring they wont turn into a super dynasty.

If any overtures by us resulted in a pay raise, Hurley has certainly earned it. Let Uconn pony up.

Sure I'm all for it, but he ain't coming so why make us look even more desperate to the maybes?

now that is thinking outside the box and intelligent. if we can force UConn into paying a ton for him, then boosters etc would be paying that instead of paying off the NCAA and refs to get the calls they do. Pretty much assuring they wont turn into a super dynasty.
They’re already a super dynasty, but if the boosters are paying a tremendous salary there will be a lot more hesitation to come out of pocket on some the NIL asks.

The same way Cal’s recruits should fleece Arkansas of NIL money by demanding a bag to follow Cal to Arky.

We should force UConn’s hand to pay Hurley a lot of money, because as of now, with no pressure they’d probably raise him to 6.5/yr up from his 4.5/yr.

Reactions: Wildcat-in-STL
But you're not Hurley. Some people just enjoy championships, some people enjoy rebuilding programs.
Fair arguement but ultimately when you have a massive chance to make history as UCOnn does I mean he’s gotta do it right? Geno Aureama or whatever his name is was a massive winner. Hurley has a very good chance to 3 peat and maybe build a dynasty. They dominated the entire tournament and the funny thing is they did the same last year. UCOnn is a real threat to catch us in titles. We are screwed because cal quit along time ago and our AD was completely blind to it.

Reactions: NociHTTP
Mitch just spent 15 years dealing with a brash hothead.

You really think he wants to spend even 5 minutes with another one, even if it means winning?

He's going to go for the Mayberry sheriff on this one and hire Drew.
I think that last sentence is a pretty good analogy. Hurley, as a great a coach as he is, puts off an oddly intense almost-angry driven type vibe. Similar to the vibe pathologically competitive star athletes like Michael Jordan put off.

Although that approach might be great for winning, those dudes ain’t easy to work with. For that reason alone, I can see why Mitch might prefer a comparatively more “Mayberry-seque” option like Drew.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT