ADVERTISEMENT

How much will Mitch offer Hurley?

If played right Dan Hurley would appreciate Uk history and platform .

His son also graduated so he could see it as an opportunity to move on.

Until the door is closed I'm going to keep fantasizing about him coming to UK. I bet bulls fans never thought Phil Jackson would leave after two 3 peats.
Now that's a better optimistic view. One I have, but at Sametime. I just heard and watched a Championship Coach say exact samething Cal has always said. Only difference is one that has aspirations to do it vs one that is doing it lol. Not at Kentucky.

Anyone else feel like Hurley was kind of planting a flag and kicking dirt on Calipari’s grave with that post-game interview?
Absolutely. Our news took away from his accomplishment on the horizon. He had to keep the nonsense out of his locker room. Anyone with a sense of reality, knows this circus no better than UK fans lol. Since 2015 lol

Pretty much ends the Hurley discussion. You want to make history go for 3 in a row. We had a shot if he lost. Now we need a coach fast and the emotion of winning. He’s not bailing on the next month of celebrations in storrs
A lot of folks on here don't have a clue. Think money is everything.

Reactions: crxohio
Pretty much ends the Hurley discussion. You want to make history go for 3 in a row. We had a shot if he lost. Now we need a coach fast and the emotion of winning. He’s not bailing on the next month of celebrations in storrs
Who the hell would lol. He will not be the next coach named!

When do YOU think it does?

Are we counting the early 90s?
If NIL is included, and this guy says it should be, then obviously Billy’s titles wouldn’t be in this discussion. But they are based on the original post I replied to, and my contention is that 1992 and 2007 are more similar than 2007/2024, so I don’t see how you split hairs between them. Fab five, Arkansas, 96 Kentucky were all playing modern basketball. There are ebbs and flows and things certainly change, but if you’re defining the modern era its tournament expansion to 64/3 point shot/shot clock and that all happened in the 80s, so anything after that is considered modern era.

TLDR- if 2007 is modern so is 1992. Both are light years away from the current game in terms of NIL, but are absolutely considered the modern era of college basketball. The OP simply doesn’t remember basketball before cal so it isn’t modern to him.

If NIL is included, and this guy says it should be, then obviously Billy’s titles wouldn’t be in this discussion. But they are based on the original post I replied to, and my contention is that 1992 and 2007 are more similar than 2007/2024, so I don’t see how you split hairs between them. Fab five, Arkansas, 96 Kentucky were all playing modern basketball. There are ebbs and flows and things certainly change, but if you’re defining the modern era its tournament expansion to 64/3 point shot/shot clock and that all happened in the 80s, so anything after that is considered modern era.

TLDR- if 2007 is modern so is 1992. Both are light years away from the current game in terms of NIL, but are absolutely considered the modern era of college basketball. The OP simply doesn’t remember basketball before cal so it isn’t modern to him.

Once again, I bled blue LONG before Cal. And now enjoy your block.

Reactions: Wildcat-in-STL
No different then Cal's scheme. But alot hypocrisy to say the least. Let's get more 5star freshman lol after winning back to back with a different mindset. Come on my fellow cat fan. He clearly taking a shot or is saying hey Kentucky get at me. Non of this other. Winning back to back, doesn't need to pitch anything to any recruit. Media days are here for Uconn for days. He already said we coming lol.
You’re a narcissist if you think that comment was about you and your team rather than a recruiting pitch to the elite freshmen out there.

In his comments last week he was talking about the intricacies of building a roster right and combining contributing freshmen with veteran players.

I’d imagine he wants the best freshmen, rather than finding diamonds in the rough.

In a way Hurley is like a young Cal, hothead, successful, brash, makes his players work hard (Cal used to do all this), and now he wants those that are elite freshman AND willing to work hard and ACTUALLY buy in to the team to come to UConn.

Cal says he wants players to buy in but it’s all talk. Hurley means it.

Hurley is basically young Cal with a brilliant basketball mind that CCC never had, Cal never had the X’s and O’s Hurley has. Hurley isn’t the salesman Cal was/is, those comments are a public recruiting pitch to make up for salesman skills, he’s letting his winning recruit the players.

32 years ago is starting to push it. No O&D, no NIL. Completely different era of ball.
I must say, you're the first person I've ever seen claim that the 90s don't count as part of "modern history." I'm depressed if that ever becomes a commonplace assumption.

And, fwiw, your suggestion that NIL is a determinative factor in deciding when "modern history" began implies that it started only a couple years ago ...which would also exclude Donovan's titles too. So all hail Hurley, the ONLY coach in modern history to ever repeat!

You’re a narcissist if you think that comment was about you and your team rather than a recruiting pitch to the elite freshmen out there.

In his comments last week he was talking about the intricacies of building a roster right and combining contributing freshmen with veteran players.

I’d imagine he wants the best freshmen, rather than finding diamonds in the rough.

In a way Hurley is like a young Cal, hothead, successful, brash, makes his players work hard (Cal used to do all this), and now he wants those that are elite freshman AND willing to work hard and ACTUALLY buy in to the team to come to UConn.

Cal says he wants players to buy in but it’s all talk. Hurley means it.

Hurley is basically young Cal with a brilliant basketball mind that CCC never had, Cal never had the X’s and O’s Hurley has. Hurley isn’t the salesman Cal was/is, those comments are a public recruiting pitch to make up for salesman skills, he’s letting his winning recruit the players.
Now let's not expect a 4th bathroom sign my fellow pissed off cat fan. Let's keep it completely straight n narrow. I can agree it could be a sales pitch. With which it is unknown. Listen we got the 3rd bathroom sign already. Cough cough the designated unknown one.

We will help Hurley get a raise from UConn. Maybe he will remember that and take the job on the flip side if Mitch screws up the hire

I must say, you're the first person I've ever seen claim that the 90s don't count as part of "modern history." I'm depressed if that ever becomes a commonplace assumption.

And, fwiw, your suggestion that NIL is a determinative factor in deciding when "modern history" began implies that it started only a couple years ago ...which would also exclude Donovan's titles too. So all hail Hurley, the ONLY coach in modern history to ever repeat!
The game is changing rapidly. And in a few years te 90s will be 40 years past. How far back will we keep that "modern history"?

All in all it doesn't matter. We're quickly declining and need a coach to stim the bleeding.

At this pace UConn could pass us in 5-7 years.

32 years ago is starting to push it. No O&D, no NIL. Completely different era of ball.
And yet the same teams seem to be winning it in your " new era" Ucon twice and KU once,Final fours with UNC Duke KU ,Where exactly is this new reality you talk about coming from

Now let's not expect a 4th bathroom sign my fellow pissed off cat fan. Let's keep it completely straight n narrow. I can agree it could be a sales pitch. With which it is unknown. Listen we got the 3rd bathroom sign already. Cough cough the designated unknown one.
And also stated. Why the hell would I not be able to get those recruits? I just won back to back lol. All I got to do now is send a letter lol

3 year. 20 million. With incentives extra
This 5-10 year shit will get you in trouble
That will definitely be a no from him then. That's only 2 million more than he gets now. And 3 years wouldn't be enough guarantee when he just got an extension from UConn last year.

All in all it doesn't matter.
Well, I agree with this, we're debating irrelevant minutiae. But let it be a lesson: accurate word choice matters.

If you'd said "in the 21st Century", that would've been indisputably correct and you'd have gotten no pushback. But instead saying "in modern history" practically invited folks ...at least those over 40 ...to think "wait, does this dope think the 1990s were the stone ages?"

From the reports I've heard, he won't have to offer Hurley. He offered Scott Drew first. Our AD is a clown.

IT-18787r2.jpg

Why leave UConn? Back to back titles, they've won a total of six after tonight and they don't have a toxic fan base like UK. The last 40 years they've won more titles than UK. The only reason would be money, and if he's anything like his dad, that won't be enough
I agree with most here that you said but toxic fan base.......... no. They were incredibly toxic to Kevin Ollie to the point they wanted him fired more than we wanted Cal to just leave. and in 5 years if Hurley falls apart like Ollie, they'll be toxic to him too. maybe you only pay attention to UK sports....... but this is human psychology..... when expectations are not met, people get very upset. There is nothing unique about UK fans.

Well, I agree with this, we're debating irrelevant minutiae. But let it be a lesson: accurate word choice matters.

If you'd said "in the 21st Century", that would've been indisputably correct and you'd have gotten no pushback. But instead saying "in modern history" practically invited folks ...at least those over 40 ...to think "wait, does this dope think the 1990s were the stone ages?"
Just like modern football had a pro passing offense revolution over the past 25ish years, basketball has completely changed in the past 5-10 years, both the game of basketball, and the nature of coaching college basketball in the NIL/1AD/transfer portal era.

So saying that Billy’s titles in 07 were not modern title is clearly referring to that he wasn’t coaching in todays game, it’s not necessarily saying it’s a 1950s Kansas bread company title.

Why leave UConn? Back to back titles, they've won a total of six after tonight and they don't have a toxic fan base like UK. The last 40 years they've won more titles than UK. The only reason would be money, and if he's anything like his dad, that won't be enough
Because UCONN fans would have been so happy watching a clock tick off six more years of a guy making fun of them and getting $9 mil a year who hadn't been to a Final Four in nine years or won more than a single NCAAT game in four years.

"Toxic BBN" is the easiest lie to tell.

I honestly don’t think it matters how much we offer, he ain’t leaving! Got it made in the Northeast, as a NJ guy, pretty much cements him at UConn until he leaves for the NBA.

They have a lot more money than people here think they do. They have tons of alumni making a shit ton of money in the Boston and NYC metro areas.
yep, my uncle in 98 got a military industrial complex vice president job in the boston area......... moved to conn and used helicopter flights to go back and forth. They were recruited into the UConn booster scene and liked the social life of it. They had very elite wealthy people including ESPN big wigs in their circle that were pulling strings for UConn. I was told, "its not coincidence that the rise of ESPN was the rise of Jim Calhoun and UConn as well"

Barney's an idiot that thinks like an idiot. Can't even imagine Hurley takes that call outside of a raise at UCONN. Barney doesn't have that pull, forget about UK.
We should still force a team that has won 2 natties at our expense to pay hand over fist to keep their coach.

I would offer Hurley 12 million, it would force UConn to pay at least 8-9 to hold onto Hurley. Which, as others have pointed out, not having football money coming in, it actually would be a little painful for them to pay that, even though they would.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT