ADVERTISEMENT

How many Kentucky Wildcats have you met?

J_Dee

Junior
Mar 21, 2008
I've seen plenty of UK folk out and about in Lexington over the years but I've only ever met Reggie Hanson and Rex Chapman, both when I was a kid (in the early '90s).

I've never met Richie Farmer but my mom knows him (and she apparently still thinks pretty highly of him, all things considered). :b

How many Wildcats have you met? :)

By met, I mean had conversation with.

John Schlarman. Rick Muench. Joker Phillips. C.M. Newton. Joe B. Hall. DeMoreo Ford. Others?

Derek Anderson, Rick Robey, Jack Givens, WCS, Winston Bennett, Bill Keightley, Cameron Mills.

Last edited:
First was Winston Bennett when I was little. Pretty sure I didn’t say much. He was huge.

Cameron Mills was in some classes with me and other stuff.
Kenny Walker at the Palomar Walmart.
Tod Lanter.

Melvin Johnson (the early 90s). Helped him pass a summer school class. Not by cheating.
Nicky Nickels of 1993 football fame.

My friend worked in the blood lab at UK Hospital when Winston was at UK. He said WB was a frequent flyer on the VD circuit.

• Haha
Reactions: Freetaxreturn
Went to UK basketball camp as a kid. Winston Bennett sat down to eat breakfast with us without saying anything. We all just sat there amazed an actual player sat down with a bunch knucklehead kids. We couldn't even bring ourselves to ask him questions we were so shocked. We saw Ed Davender too and were too scared to approach him but he walked over and started slapping 5's. I love both those guys for that.

Reactions: J_Dee
I always enjoy telling this story when this topic comes up. I was raised in Middletown, OH and in 8th grade, I had a substitute teacher for Spanish. Old guy, probably in his 60’s at the time. My buddy Ben is talking to him forever up at the front of the room. He comes back and says, “Do you know that guy played at Kentucky?” It was Shelby Linville. Needless to say, I was up front the next time he was a substitute teacher. Nothing better as a young kid getting to meet current or former players.

Quick trivia…Linville scored the first points in Memorial Coliseum.

Reactions: J_Dee
Most of the guys I've met were from teams in the 70's and 80's, although I have met some from pretty much every decade. Used to play 5 on 5 back in the day at Alumni Gym. Lots of former and, (at that time), current players.

I was 16 in 1978 when I met the entire team. To say that I was excited, and awed, would be a huge understatement, lol. Of all the people I've ever met affiliated with the program, I'd have to say Joe B. was my favorite one to talk to.

I always wanted to meet Cawood but never had the opportunity.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT