ADVERTISEMENT

How Many 2020 Players Will Reclassify Into 2019?

bballcat4

Junior
Jan 12, 2008
Next year's recruiting class will be the most interesting class this decade. Cal is obviously off to a strong start.

If 2020 is deemed to be the year that OAD is put out to pasture then I can see it working both ways.

1. I see a scenario where many top players try to reclassify to get into the 2019 class to showcase their ability against better competition.

2. Some players will decide to remain in high school to hide their deficiencies. There are plenty recent scenarios where a player would've gone higher straight out of high school instead of declaring after 1 year of college. (Diallo and maybe a few other current UK players fit this case.)

Here are my predictions. I don't think the NBA will gamble as much on players out of high school as they did before OAD was implemented. I'm not talking about the top 5-7 players in a class. (Anthony Davis, John Wall, Marvin Bagley, etc...) I'm talking about mid to late first rounders.

My other prediction is that Cal will load up next year's class like a Wal-Mart shopping cart at Christmas. He could really have 8-10 players in next year's class with a few of them being players who reclassify. He'll work out scholarships later knowing he's going to need some returning players for 2020 if the top players are not coming to college.

Thoughts?

If the OAD is going away then there's no reason for 2020 to reclassify.

In fact they might want to hide their issues at high School level than to go against collegiate player.

If there is a hs combine as cal hs proposed it will be much more than 5 going striaight to the pros. I predict by 2025 the top 25 or so will go directly to nba to play in g league. Nba just has to pay up some money for quality coaches at the g league level.

If the OAD is going away then there's no reason for 2020 to reclassify.

In fact they might want to hide their issues at high School level than to go against collegiate player.

You’re correct. Had my years correct in OP and edited the dates from last post.

I agree with you that some players will want to hide deficiencies and will stay in hs. Cal will sell kids on using the year to showcase their talent on the college stage.

BTW, is OAD really going away?

if they go to 2 and through, you'll see a lot of reclassification. I wonder if players are being told to be ready to do either option.

Next year's recruiting class will be the most interesting class this decade. Cal is obviously off to a strong start.

If 2020 is deemed to be the year that OAD is put out to pasture then I can see it working both ways.

1. I see a scenario where many top players try to reclassify to get into the 2019 class to showcase their ability against better competition.

2. Some players will decide to remain in high school to hide their deficiencies. There are plenty recent scenarios where a player would've gone higher straight out of high school instead of declaring after 1 year of college. (Diallo and maybe a few other current UK players fit this case.)

Here are my predictions. I don't think the NBA will gamble as much on players out of high school as they did before OAD was implemented. I'm not talking about the top 5-7 players in a class. (Anthony Davis, John Wall, Marvin Bagley, etc...) I'm talking about mid to late first rounders.

My other prediction is that Cal will load up next year's class like a Wal-Mart shopping cart at Christmas. He could really have 8-10 players in next year's class with a few of them being players who reclassify. He'll work out scholarships later knowing he's going to need some returning players for 2020 if the top players are not coming to college.

Thoughts?
13?

Marvin Bagely can't play defense. Def not in the same category as Wall and Davis

He’ll still be a top 5 pick. Don’t forget that KaTowns has some of the worst defensive #’s of any big man in the league, but is still a force.

I’m not a Duke fan, but won’t stick my head in the sand where players will get drafted.

If there is a hs combine as cal hs proposed it will be much more than 5 going striaight to the pros. I predict by 2025 the top 25 or so will go directly to nba to play in g league. Nba just has to pay up some money for quality coaches at the g league level.

Good money paid out at G League will change everything. Until then I don’t see GM’s rolling the dice with hs players outside of top 8-10 players. Even some of them will be busts, but so are some current top 10 picks.

You’re correct about GLeague. If they begin paying good $ then many more hs players will make the jump.

BTW, is OAD really going away?

if they go to 2 and through, you'll see a lot of reclassification. I wonder if players are being told to be ready to do either option.

My guess is OAD will go away in making players wait at least one year before being eligible for the draft. I don’t expect a baseball rule or 2 and through. I suspect players will be able to go whenever they desire.

If we go back to OAD without an age limit, I think we will see HS sophomores declaring for the draft at 16 and skipping high school. Sad but true.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT