ADVERTISEMENT

How in the world has 10-8 Rutgers signed 2 of the top 3 players in next years class?

Creed Bratton

All-American
May 31, 2018
Lex Town
Are they pumping a lot of money into their NIL for basketball or what? I would seem so to get Bailey and Harper along with 2 four stars in Sommerville and Grant.

Well, it’s the only power conference school in the nation’s largest and most influential metro market. I’ve long thought Rutgers seemed like a bit of a sleeping giant in sports, even if for that reason only. You’d think they’d should be able to parlay that NYC market clout to greater advantage.

Maybe this is just them finally doing so.

Pay them well, but will they be relevant is the question. I thought Pitino would raise money and bring in studs.

Because college basketball is even more of a stepping stone to the real goal, than ever before. These two players are just going where the money is, doing a favor, etc. Once they are gone, they will be no more of "Rutgers Alum" than you or I. And honestly, you can probably apply that to a lot our recent recruits as well.

NJ has the best pizza and bagels in the country. Authentic food from any country in the world within a stone's throw. Top 5 in education, healthcare, household income, and other quality of life metrics. Low key one of the best states in the country if you take 30 seconds to look past the stereotypes.

Turning into the college basketball capital of the country. St. Peter's Elite 8, FDU beating a 1 seed, two new top 5 recruits. This is no shock to me.

So quality of local bagels, pizza and ethnic cuisine is influencing where Top 10 ranked basketball recruits choose to play?

I must say, that’s a new one. Lexington needs to step up its bagel game.
My first paragraph was serious in regard to those statements being true, but more tongue in cheek about it attracting basketball recruits.

NJ has the best pizza and bagels in the country. Authentic food from any country in the world within a stone's throw. Top 5 in education, healthcare, household income, and other quality of life metrics. Low key one of the best states in the country if you take 30 seconds to look past the stereotypes.

Turning into the college basketball capital of the country. St. Peter's Elite 8, FDU beating a 1 seed, two new top 5 recruits. This is no shock to me.
Excuse me, but have you ever lived in Jersey? I have. If God was going to give the world an enema, I know where He would stick it.

Are they pumping a lot of money into their NIL for basketball or what? I would seem so to get Bailey and Harper along with 2 four stars in Sommerville and Grant.

It's a little like Ohio State when they pulled in that Oden/Conley class. Mostly luck or circumstances.

Bailey's best friend, Davis, committed there for this current season, while Harper's brother used to play there.

So quality of local bagels, pizza and ethnic cuisine is influencing where Top 10 ranked basketball recruits choose to play?

I must say, that’s a new one. Lexington needs to step up its bagel game.
Lexington can't even decide which direction traffic should flow. It would take a month for construction crew to all end up in the same place.

Lexington can't even decide which direction traffic should flow. It would take a month for construction crew to all end up in the same place.
I drive a ton in Manhattan and all around the NYC metro area. I have never been as annoyed or frustrated by traffic as I am in Lexington. I dont know what the deal is.

Saw where Knox was close to committing. Afraid our shooting will be back to normal for us next season.
after the other night's disaster, we need some kind of good news to brighten things up.
all the recruiting experts like him, but they liked Edwards too. Maybe they will be right this time

Reactions: Fox2monk
I drive a ton in Manhattan and all around the NYC metro area. I have never been as annoyed or frustrated by traffic as I am in Lexington. I dont know what the deal is.
We flew to Queens, NY and then on to CT for a vacation in Boston, almost a year and a half ago.

Lexington is pretty boring, not going to lie. I'm sometimes surprised we can even get recruits here.

I'm not sure if the NYC area is drawing recruits.. but it's certainly not losing recruits to a place like Lexington, KY. Coaching and school aside.. no young basketball players are picking Lexington over the NYC area.

Reactions: NociHTTP
Lexington is pretty boring, not going to lie. I'm sometimes surprised we can even get recruits here.

I'm not sure if the NYC area is drawing recruits.. but it's certainly not losing recruits to a place like Lexington, KY. Coaching and school aside.. no young basketball players are picking Lexington over the NYC area.
Correct if they are looking for lifestyle over getting prepared for a life-changing career in the NBA. If you want to win, be showcased and prep for a basketball career, you can "suffer" 1-2 years in Lexington.

Reactions: Fox2monk

Lexington certainly ain’t “boring” to UK students, it’s a great place to spend your college age years. And that’s ESPECIALLY true for UK players, who are treated like kings there, the same sure as hell can’t be said for Rutgers players in NYC.

No way I’m buying an argument that Lexington is a recruiting detriment because it’s supposedly so boring. Is it any more boring than Chapel Hill, Lawrence or Durham? Because those are the only other cities where the school recruits on a level comparable to us. Try a new theory.

Reactions: CatsDomain
For you younger people, two teams entered the 1976 Final Four undefeated, the Indiana Hoosiers and Rutgers. Indiana left with title and no defeats and Rutgers left with two losses.

Reactions: Samurai Cat
Lexington certainly ain’t “boring” to UK students, it’s a great place to spend your college age years. And that’s ESPECIALLY true for UK players, who are treated like kings there, the same sure as hell can’t be said for Rutgers players in NYC.

No way I’m buying an argument that Lexington is a recruiting detriment because it’s supposedly so boring. Is it any more boring than Chapel Hill, Lawrence or Durham? Because those are the only other cities where the school recruits on a level comparable to us. Try a new theory.

You're the one downplaying going to a big city as opposed to a much smaller and quieter environment lol.

I already said NYC might not be a huge draw.. but it's certainly not losing out to a place like Lexington.

Lexington and Chapel Hill are draws because of the program (for now) and the coach (the real draw).. has nothing to do with the area its in.

Also why are we comparing UK students (most of whom live in the state) to guys coming from all over the US, looking to prepare for the NBA and brand themselves? What a terrible comparison. Your everyday college student is not a top50 athletic recruit.

Well, it’s the only power conference school in the nation’s largest and most influential metro market. I’ve long thought Rutgers seemed like a bit of a sleeping giant in sports, even if for that reason only. You’d think they’d should be able to parlay that NYC market clout to greater advantage.

Rutgers basketball isn’t even on the radar of the NYC market in terms of marketing and NIL. It’s an hour away and it might as well be 3 hours away.

NIL is nothing but paying player to play. CBB as we know it has changed and it will only get worse. No player is going to play for their school anymore . It is show me the $$$$$$$$$.

Reactions: law1127
we got perry and Reed more than likely will be back ifwe get Knox he may surprise us on his play have to wait and see
Knox and Richmond would seem to be an immediate upgrade defensively at the wing.
Body types are much better suited to defending opponents 3 guard lineups
Knox would cap off a really good 6 man class.

New York does not care about college sports. At all.

Reactions: Samurai Cat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT