ADVERTISEMENT

How far do we need to go in the SECT

Princecal

Freshman
Dec 3, 2020
For you personally to believe we will make the final 4 or further?

As long as we don't get embarrassed, especially if the defense and fight are still there, I think the semi could give me hope, now going and running through and winning the SECT, I am on the championship or bust team.

What do y'all think?

Since 1993, no national champ has fallen short of their conference tournament semifinals. I know you said FF but that’s a pretty damning omen. And makes sense when you think about it considering almost every national champ level team likely starts out in the quarters so just needs one win to make the semis. Still interesting though

Since 1993, no national champ has fallen short of their conference tournament semifinals. I know you said FF but that’s a pretty damning omen. And makes sense when you think about it considering almost every national champ level team likely starts out in the quarters so just needs one win to make the semis. Still interesting though
Do you feel confident in a rematch with TAMU? I do. Wouldn't be surprised if we lose with this team, but I'm on the side of winning that one

2 out of our last 3 National Championship teams lost in the conference tournament though.

I think we are FF bound regardless of the SEC.

I’ll be in Nashville so I want to see 3 wins there.

But the SEC is a UK homecoming party.

It’s a celebration. It’s for fun.

The NCAA is business.

I hope we have fun. But it’s more important to take care of business.

Reactions: Greatestalltime
Those are really good odds for team that tied for 2nd and beat UK and won at UT.

We need to make the finals to hold on to a 3 seed imo. We may have to win the tournament to be a 3 seed idk

exactly. if we’re in the final at 25-8 we’re locked into our seed. which will probably be a 3. if we look like world beaters against a&m and let’s say florida you’d think we’d have a case for a 2. but who knows. the net whores have an advantage.

We need to win this tournament and the one after. I’m tired of losing 8-10 games regular season only to lose early in the post season.

The mentality that the SEC tournament doesn’t matter is part of what led to KU catching up and passing us (not sure if they’re still ahead or not).

This isn’t your local church league, this is big time. Prepare for every game like it’s your last game. It helps keep you focused and also helps prepare you for the games that come after. Not taking them seriously or preparing for them is just lazy imo.

Cal is fairly compensated to prepare for this tourney. He owes it to his players to always give them his best coaching effort whether he values the games or not.

We need to win this tournament and the one after. I’m tired of losing 8-10 games regular season only to lose early in the post season.

The mentality that the SEC tournament doesn’t matter is part of what led to KU catching up and passing us (not sure if they’re still ahead or not).

This isn’t your local church league, this is big time. Prepare for every game like it’s your last game. It helps keep you focused and also helps prepare you for the games that come after. Not taking them seriously or preparing for them is just lazy imo.

Cal is fairly compensated to prepare for this tourney. He owes it to his players to always give them his best coaching effort whether he values the games or not.
Our lead in total wins grew this year.

ebf32aab-47f0-4156-993a-7aa5d1413a6c_text.gif

Regardless of Cal's approach to the event, if UK can't beat Ole Miss or Texas A&M (rematch) on a "neutral" floor in March, which will really be loud UK fans .... the team isn't going ANYWHERE.

A trip to the SECT finals should give everyone here confidence in a legit Final Four run.

That said, all that matters is who they are lined up against in the real bracket ......

Reactions: Ron Mehico

Agree, I can't believe some of the posts I've read on this board lately. Either this board has been invaded by water carrying trolls or Stockholm syndrome is real.

Reactions: Fezco
I think this is the kind of team that needs to go win it. They need to be all in the one and out format and carry this win streak into the NCAA tournament. This team going in with 8 wins straight and a 2 or 3 seed is going to loom over that bracket like a thundercloud.

3 guys who are playing like lotto picks right now and that doesn’t even include the leading scorer. This team needs the momentum, that’s how they win it all, off naive confidence, doing things they aren’t supposed to do because they don’t know they aren’t supposed to do it. This goes down as a storied college basketball team if they pull it off. The team everyone loved to watch but no one took very seriously, locks in after a tough road loss and rips off 14 straight to take home #9. No one has higher level talent playing better ball than Kentucky right now. It feels like there’s a palpable buzz around this team right now that’s only building. Last couple years we had solid teams, but they both stumbled into March.

I’m sure not all will agree, but I want this team going into the dance riding a heater and feeling invincible. Keep letting them loose and letting them rip. Last thing we need is Cal trying to reinvent the wheel because we screwed around and lost to A&M again trying to be cute with rotations or whatever. Keep these guys locked in and keep building up that “how do you beat them?” mystique.

Even if we win the SEC tournament, I still won't believe this team will make the Final 4. Not with our defense, rebounding and coaching.

If we make it to the finals I’ll be feeling pretty good (already do). We lose in the semis I’ll be a little more nervous

Even if we win the SEC tournament, I still won't believe this team will make the Final 4. Not with our defense, rebounding and coaching.
Interestingly: We held UT to 38% shooting and out-rebounded them. Felt like the guys figured it out. We'll see if they carry it forward.

Reactions: UKCatnNC
Interestingly: We held UT to 38% shooting and out-rebounded them. Felt like the guys figured it out. We'll see if they carry it forward.
Shooting percentage doesn't translate directly and completely to better defense. Sometimes teams just miss shots. In the Auburn game, for example, our defense was not responsible for their miserable three point shooting. At Tennessee, the Vols missed a bunch of shots in the first half, but got hot later. I think our defense was better at TN - particularly the interior defense, but the 38% isn't all completely a result of UK.

Shooting percentage doesn't translate directly and completely to better defense. Sometimes teams just miss shots. In the Auburn game, for example, our defense was not responsible for their miserable three point shooting. At Tennessee, the Vols missed a bunch of shots in the first half, but got hot later. I think our defense was better at TN - particularly the interior defense, but the 38% isn't all completely a result of UK.
Watching the game, it sure looked like we were playing good defense. Teams miss more shots when you play good defense.I think we contributed to the 38%. We've seen a ton of games where we give up a million wide open 3's and easy lay ups.

A lot of times the opposing team's FG% is so high because they get tons of walk-in lay ups vs us. We did a much better job stopping that for once.

Taking the percentages out of it--if you watched the game--we clearly played better defense.

If you're not sure, you really shouldn't be bitching about it.
being newly wed and trying to start a family while also pursuing a new career path you might imagine I have bigger concerns that my favorite sport’s team win total versus the school that caught us. That doesn’t mean it’s not something I pay zero attention to and don’t care about. I remember there was some scuttle butt about them getting some games revoked but then Cal went and lost 8 games.

I feel bad that you have nothing else going on in your life that this is information you think is worth gatekeeping.

Last edited:
Watching the game, it sure looked like we were playing good defense. Teams miss more shots when you play good defense.I think we contributed to the 38%. We've seen a ton of games where we give up a million wide open 3's and easy lay ups.

A lot of times the opposing team's FG% is so high because they get tons of walk-in lay ups vs us. We did a much better job stopping that for once.

Taking the percentages out of it--if you watched the game--we clearly played better defense.
I agree that we definitely played better defense vs TN than Auburn. Auburn just couldn't throw it in the ocean.

Reactions: Cats192
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT