ADVERTISEMENT

How do you see Richards as an NBA player?

Do you think he will at least be a serviceable player?
Yes. He is athletic enough and still learning the game and developing his skills. I think that by coming back a third season he has shown he is willing to put in the work.

He's 7 feet tall, he's mobile, his defense improved by leaps and bounds third year, he became a good rebounder, he has a midrange jumper. I definitely see NBA potential in him. He needs to continue to work on strength, but I think there is absolutely a rotation player role for him.

I love Nick but I just don’t see it. He scored a majority of his points this year off dunks and put backs. He won’t be able to do that against more quality big men. Not to mention we played a fairly week schedule by Kentucky’s standards. I think he’ll end up overseas sooner than later.

Lol it took Jr year for Nick Richards to string along 15 good games but yeah hes bout to rock the NBA. Worst case Euro Best case rotational NBA. Most likely Euro

This is the issue with this board: it has too much blue tint. He’s improved, but he always seems a step slow. Has some nice post moves, but seems lead footed when he does though. Not overly aggressive. Will bd a backup for a few years

Reactions: ScrooDook92
Needs to continue to add range on his shot and work on playing good defense. If he does this he should have a decent career.

I told my son several times during the season...Javelle McGee. 12 years in the NBA...only 3 times has he averaged 10+ Pts, but he’s 7 feet and he gets better with age. Put him on the right squad(s), and Nick will he just fine.

Reactions: Blueaz
I see people mentioning work ethic, don't think it will be that at all. I think he works his ass off and that showed in his massive improvement. It's going to come down to 1 thing his mental toughness. The NBA can absolutely chew you up and spit you out if aren't confident in yourself and very mentally tough. Nick struggles with that immensely. He gets the f you streak he's a 10 year pro.

Probably a 11-15 roster guy unless he extends his range to the three point line. He’ll be a serviceable backup big if he can hit threes and block a few shots in pinches.

Reactions: Gassy_Knowls
Speed is a big issue. Developing post moves another. Will need to work tirelessly with a trainer in both areas. Then he will make it on a roster for a second contract.

Bench guy who can come in for spells to give the main rotation guys a rest. Nothing wrong with that either.

Reactions: Blueaz
Jerry Stackhouse seems to think so. I don't remember the quote exactly but he said Nick Will play completely different in the NBA. Just look at all of our bigs. Cal likes to keep them down low but they still develop the skills to play in today's NBA. For me it comes down to his confidence just like it did here. If in his first year he gets beat up he probably won't recover.

I don’t think he will ever see a second of NBA time. He will have a mediocre overseas career at best. The problem is one if effort. He takes too many plays off.

Reactions: KFuqua
This is the issue with this board: it has too much blue tint. He’s improved, but he always seems a step slow. Has some nice post moves, but seems lead footed when he does though. Not overly aggressive. Will bd a backup for a few years
This is the issue with this board: it has too much, I am smarter than you, posters. He’s improved, but he always seems a step slow. Has some nice post moves, but seems lead footed when he does though. Not overly aggressive. Will bd a backup for a few years.
The rest is pretty close to a lot a of posters...maybe one or two have basically said he is a "for sure" player

Reactions: STL_Cat
Has all the tools for the type of game the NBA is evolving into .. speed , finesse , lots of threes , Nick is really mobile , should have a long career .

Great kid, soft stroke from around the charity stripe. Weak (that can be fixed) but, like you said, just too slow.

This is the issue with this board: it has too much, I am smarter than you, posters. He’s improved, but he always seems a step slow. Has some nice post moves, but seems lead footed when he does though. Not overly aggressive. Will bd a backup for a few years.
The rest is pretty close to a lot a of posters...maybe one or two have basically said he is a "for sure" player

Ok

If you look at all these "mock" drafts and their late first round projections, I have no idea why a team wouldn't take a flyer on Richards. Looks like a lot of names with little production vs. Richards who has Unicorn measurables and very solid collegiate production. Same could be said for Quickley IMO

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT