ADVERTISEMENT

How Do TV Announcers Do So Well With Names?

The-Hack

All-American
Oct 1, 2016
Sure, some don’t, but watching the replays, they generally do a good job, and are usually pretty quick identifying players by name.

The worst example I can think of was our very own Ralph Hacker who did play-by-play for a year or two after Cawood’s retirement. Jules Camara became “Camaro.” He got so excited during the last drive of a UK win in Tiger Stadium in the early 90’s that he had RB Damon Hood handing the ball to QB Pookie Jones, and so badly muffed the conclusion of the game, the color man of the time had to clean it up for him.

Still, most of them do well, and are quick in identifying tacklers. I assume they have some help in the booth, and study before hand.

UK’s website has a “microphone” link for players names, so you can hear the pronunciation.

I think the best in the college game of announcing is former Georgia AA Matt Stinchcomb. I saw him do an FCS game with North Dakota State and South Dakota State, and you would have thought he had graduated from both schools. He had done his homework!

Sure, some don’t, but watching the replays, they generally do a good job, and are usually pretty quick identifying players by name.

The worst example I can think of was our very own Ralph Hacker who did play-by-play for a year or two after Cawood’s retirement. Jules Camara became “Camaro.” He got so excited during the last drive of a UK win in Tiger Stadium in the early 90’s that he had RB Damon Hood handing the ball to QB Pookie Jones, and so badly muffed the conclusion of the game, the color man of the time had to clean it up for him.

Still, most of them do well, and are quick in identifying tacklers. I assume they have some help in the booth, and study before hand.

UK’s website has a “microphone” link for players names, so you can hear the pronunciation.

I think the best in the college game of announcing is former Georgia AA Matt Stinchcomb. I saw him do an FCS game with North Dakota State and South Dakota State, and you would have thought he had graduated from both schools. He had done his homework!

They have spotters that have all the numbers and names ready after a run or tackle, my brother-in-law and I did it for UNLV games for the PA announcer quite a few times. Still a tough job and a guess who to give credit to some times, surprising how fast and accurate the pros are. Our friend was also the PA announcer for the Running Rebels, until he didn't show up one night, he had a heart attack and died in the shower getting ready for the game.

Kind of wondering if the playing in the new Raiders stadium will give the UNLV football team much of a boost. Kind of doubt they have a schedule this year, but who knows what is going to happen. I think it is crucial that the P5 teams have a schedule for the TV and betting industries.

Matt and his brother are both very smart guys. Both were 4.0 grads in pretty tough fields. So not surprising he does his homework by learning the names. Today some of them are pretty tough. Lou Holtz in particular had a hard time, I just think he didn't take the time to study the roster becau see he was a smart guy.

Matt Stinchcomb is an excellent announcer.

As far as many others go, I assume many are just lazy.

It burned me up when in 2012 Rod Gilmore was the "analyst" for the UK at Louisville game.

UofL had won the 2011 game by one touchdown but UK had won the previous four games.

Gilmore said that Louisville had recently "dominated" the series.

Other notable announcers who have not done their homework: Digger Phelps, Lou Holtz, even Bobby Knight.

One the other hand, some have simply applied themselves and become accomplished and respected.

Kirk Herbstreit is one. I think he was only 26 when he got the College GameDay gig. He was good -- and prepared -- from the beginning.

I first saw Chris Fowler as host of Scholastic Sports America. He was mediocre and clumsy. He was replaced by a much more polished Charlsey (something or other). But Fowler has worked his way into a great career (football, golf, tennis, Triple Crown thoroughbred racing, World Cup, etc.)

Hack, one more addition to your post. Sometimes Ralph couldn't even announce the teams properly. He annoyed me by not saying Kentucky or the Wildcats, but he would call them The University of Kentucky....200 times?

He would even say, "The University of Kentucky leads the University of Auburn by...." Ralph! What does that AU on their uniform mean?

Last edited:
Reactions: The-Hack
Matt and his brother are both very smart guys. Both were 4.0 grads in pretty tough fields. So not surprising he does his homework by learning the names. Today some of them are pretty tough. Lou Holtz in particular had a hard time, I just think he didn't take the time to study the roster becau see he was a smart guy.

If I'm not mistaken they have the roster along with proper pronunciation during the week and it is their job to study that.

I heard that before Shittu enrolled at Vanderbilt, the NCAA flew everyone to Indianapolis for a week to go through the proper pronunciation training. Everyone was certified, except for Ryan Lemond

Great post, and with the exception of the morons (ex. Belk Bowl Crew, (NCAAM tourney- Barkley), I totally agree. Some of these guys I listen to their calls (the announcers) because they know the names better than I do!!

the bowls and tourney have some doozies though. Oh, and did you know Bud Foster retired?

Reactions: The-Hack
If I'm not mistaken they have the roster along with proper pronunciation during the week and it is their job to study that.

As it should be. All I was saying is it is no surprise Stichcomb would be well prepared to do the job. He was a very bright student and grades were a big deal to him and that seems to have carried over to his announcing career.

Well as far as pronouncing correctly, any announcer worth a damn gets the correct pronunciations before hand. Normally they’ll get a pronunciation guide but they are supposed to follow up to verify they have it correct

Yeah... harder names are always set out phonetically at the bottom of the roster in the full media guide, game notes, and perhaps even fan program. All they must do is play the part of a professional and review them.

On the basketball side in his final years, Al McGuire did not even say names. Everyone was called by number.

Sat with Tom Leach for a few hours once and the amount of information in his brain his unreal. I’m convinced he has photographic memory too. I enjoy listening to his football calls.

Matt Stinchcomb is an excellent announcer.

As far as many others go, I assume many are just lazy.

It burned me up when in 2012 Rod Gilmore was the "analyst" for the UK at Louisville game.

UofL had won the 2011 game by one touchdown but UK had won the previous four games.

Gilmore said that Louisville had recently "dominated" the series.

Other notable announcers who have not done their homework: Digger Phelps, Lou Holtz, even Bobby Knight.

One the other hand, some have simply applied themselves and become accomplished and respected.

Kirk Herbstreit is one. I think he was only 26 when he got the College GameDay gig. He was good -- and prepared -- from the beginning.

I first saw Chris Fowler as host of Scholastic Sports America. He was mediocre and clumsy. He was replaced by a much more polished Charlsey (something or other). But Fowler has worked his way into a great career (football, golf, tennis, Triple Crown thoroughbred racing, World Cup, etc.)

Hack, one more addition to your post. Sometimes Ralph couldn't even announce the teams properly. He annoyed me by not saying Kentucky or the Wildcats, but he would call them The University of Kentucky....200 times?

He would even say, "The University of Kentucky leads the University of Auburn by...." Ralph! What does that AU on their uniform mean?
Not to pick on Ralph who was a great compliment to Caywood in a different kind of way. Not a traditional color man or any list but mor of a professional side kick like Ed McMahon to Johnny Carson to fill in the gaps.

Never understood why everyone felt he was the default answer to replace Cawood cause play by play man is a totally different skill that wasn't really his. One time thing he did that drove me crazy was the way he would a touchdown by calling each yard inside the 5 yard line "5,4,3,2,1 Touchdown!"

Remember I'm not picking on him though...

Reactions: mktmaker
And if you did not know that Pookie Jones was from Calloway County, you did not listen to a Ralph Hacker broadcast.

“And Pookie Jones from Calloway County is under center...”

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT