ADVERTISEMENT

How do THREE officials miss an obvious double-dribble?

Jun 29, 2018
I didn't see the game live as I can no longer watch games in real-time. But I read the comments about the double dribble, so I when I saw it, it was even more ridiculous than I imagined. It wasn't even close. The only explanation is that they thought the defender knocked it out of his hands, but if three offiicials can't see that he didn't, then they suck at their jobs.

Reactions: Fox2monk
I didn't see the game live as I can no longer watch games in real-time. But I read the comments about the double dribble, so I when I saw it, it was even more ridiculous than I imagined. It wasn't even close. The only explanation is that they thought the defender knocked it out of his hands, but if three offiicials can't see that he didn't, then they suck at their jobs.

You’re explanation is what I assume they thought.

Plus, it’s not three officials who missed it, it’s one. The other two have assignments on where/what they are watching and shouldn’t have been watching the ball that far away from the basket.

When I saw it live it did kind of look like it may have been touched or deflected. It was a missed call for sure but not a horrible one IMO.

Reactions: kl40504
Actually missed two. There was 1 on the baseline a few plays earlier also.

I'm continuing to watch this game and Good Lord the calls were ridiculous. KJ got two charges called on him that were horrible calls. That big lug for Wofford loved to slide over and bump our guy, then fall down. Classic Duke-type flopping and kept getting rewarded. Also, right out the half, Travis has the ball in the paint, and he and the defender do the typical bumping as Travis was backing him down before Travis makes the little half-hook in the lane. Fine, right. The EXACT same bumping on the other end gets a foul on Travis. So blatantly one-sided from Sirmons.

The missed double dribble could be explained if the ball bounced off Tyler's foot. However when the Wofford player picks the ball up again, he pivots, then changes his pivot foot. Clear travel.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
I'm continuing to watch this game and Good Lord the calls were ridiculous. KJ got two charges called on him that were horrible calls. That big lug for Wofford loved to slide over and bump our guy, then fall down. Classic Duke-type flopping and kept getting rewarded. Also, right out the half, Travis has the ball in the paint, and he and the defender do the typical bumping as Travis was backing him down before Travis makes the little half-hook in the lane. Fine, right. The EXACT same bumping on the other end gets a foul on Travis. So blatantly one-sided from Sirmons.
Not to mention the 1970’s Indiana Hoosiers style of hip check moving screens that went uncalled time and time again.

Plus, it’s not three officials who missed it, it’s one. The other two have assignments on where/what they are watching and shouldn’t have been watching the ball that far away from the basket.

When I saw it live it did kind of look like it may have been touched or deflected. It was a missed call for sure but not a horrible one IMO.
It was a horrible missed call that lead to a basket right before the half. No excuse for that

Reactions: Aike
Really. You mean the officials missed two calls in one game. What is happening? Unbelievable. Never happened before.

Yeah, those were the only 2. GTFOH.

You want more? Jackson with another flop job that got another charge, this time on Herro. Jackson blatantly runs into Baker who is going in for a fast-break layup, knocking him to the floor. No call. Luckily, KJ got the put back. They were bound and determined to keep Jackson in because he was their only big worth a damn. He was getting a super star whistle all day.

I think it also helped (Wofford) that there was a delay before their guy dribbled again. I know it gave me some hesitation, like "wait a sec, didn't he already dribble? Maybe it was tipped?"

Didn't think the refs were bad overall. Some goofball charging calls and inconsistency on contact allowed in the post, but that's true of almost every college game. And nothing horrendously bad.

Last edited:
That was a really bad miss. Not sure how they missed it. Overall I think the refs did a decent job yesterday. They missed that one double dribble and had an odd affection for the Wofford center who should have fouled out about 5 times over. For some reason they seemed to go out of their way to call anything as long as it wasn't a foul on him. Most of the gripes we had yesterday were the non-foul calls on him. Aside from that the game was decently called though.

It wasn't "3" officials that missed it. The official under the basket is tasked to watch interior play and probably didn't see it.

However, the two officials out front definitely missed it.

Some bad calls both ways. I still wish we had this crew vs. Tennessee instead of Shows/SEC stripes. This bad call did have an effect, but it didn't completely change the game like it did against the Rocky Tops.

I know I had no problem seeing it, I was yelling at the TV. I couldn't believe the announcers had no clue what Cal was upset about. That was a huge deal at the point in the game and I couldn't believe they missed it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT