ADVERTISEMENT

How did Lance Ware....

1. Not only how did UK offer Lance Ware
2. How did he garner a pretty high 4* rating

Dude never had skills to a program like UK....but Cal was so hesitant to offer Ky high school guards....but he pulled in Lance's lack of about everything as D1 PF/Center?

Lance to UT Arlington
I'm not sure what a Kentucky high school guard has to do with a player at his position. I believe he was top 50 in his class and was OK with being a role player. I assume he was also a potential recruiting lure for DJ.

1. Not only how did UK offer Lance Ware
2. How did he garner a pretty high 4* rating

Dude never had skills to a program like UK....but Cal was so hesitant to offer Ky high school guards....but he pulled in Lance's lack of about everything as D1 PF/Center?

Lance to UT Arlington
I thought he was even ranked 5* by some. And, I swear, if I had a dollar for every Cal post-game quip of "How 'bout Lance?" after a 1 rebound, 2 point, 2 turnover performance...

I was at a game several years ago and Lance missed the entire rim on 4 straight free throws. I had never seen that before. He had no skill and no touch whatsoever.

Having Ware and Askew as part of your 8 man rotation is why we went 9-16. Kal used the excuse of Covid to cover for how bad that team was.

Every team and coach have guys that don't pan out. I mean this isn't an exact science. Look at the McDonalds AA roster of years past and look at guys who don't pan out. I mean heck look at the lottery picks of the NBA past and see who panned out and the ones who didn't. Some show potential and get drafted/recruited based on that potential and then they never reach their true potential for one reason or another.

Lance was solid as long as he was only playing 10 minutes a game
Lance wasn’t deserving of 10 secs of playing time .. cmon - seriously? Solid ? He only positive attribute was trying hard . Because he had near zero basketball talent .. and our fearless leader STARTED the guy !!!! It’s such coach malpractice they coulda fired him on the spot for that alone .

He was more physically mature than most everyone he played against and had a high motor in high school. The game was much harder for him when he landed in college, without real skill, much harder because most everyone is physical and big in college.

Last edited:
Reactions: CGblue
Lance seemed like a good guy. Really no need to dump on him. He got an offer to play ball for Kentucky, so good for him.
No. We like to crap on people….

Makes us
feel better get well GIF

Lance was good guy, followed the rules and tries his a$$ off. Glad he was able to better his life playing basketball.

Go Big Blue!!!

Lol, the Ware hate is comical from this board. Was he good? Not particularly. Was he awful? Not really. He was just a decent player. He shot 57% from FG and played 10mpg in 3 years at UK. He played tough defense, used fouls and rebounded decently.

He probably isn't a high D1 talent but there are a lot of recruits that were ranked highly because of exposure and teams they played on that never amounted to anything at D1 level.

Last edited:
Reactions: G-PIP and Fox2monk
Lol, the Ware hate is comical from this board. Was he good? Not particularly. Was he awful? Not really. He was just a decent player. He shot 57% from FG and played 10mog in 3 years at UK. He played tough defense, used fouls and rebounded decently.

He probably isn't a high D1 talent but there are a lot of recruits that were ranked highly because of exposure and teams they played on that never amounted to anythingat D1 level.
giphy.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT