ADVERTISEMENT

House of the Dragon

I didn't want to say anything. i was hoping people would think Alicent was 18.. lol. George wrote this like middle ages Europe. Nobles were some weird people.

Yes repulsive by today's standards. However in a time when you could die from literally anything, life expectancy was much lower. People had to marry and reproduce at much younger ages before something has the chance to kill them.

It's pretty amazing anyone survived before modern times.

He’s repulsed by the 12yr old, but marrying a 15yr old lol. But hey… it’s RR Martin. I expect nothing else from him.

Ha. Right. But at least the Hightower lady is being played by a 20-something actress (I assume). It just felt reeeeeeeally gross to see that conversation with someone that underage.

It just felt reeeeeeeally gross to see that conversation with someone that underage.
Which, to be fair, is the point. Viserys is surrounded by scumbags pretending to be on his side. By comparison to all the schemers around him, he is relatively less loathsome.

Ha. Right. But at least the Hightower lady is being played by a 20-something actress (I assume). It just felt reeeeeeeally gross to see that conversation with someone that underage.
They age them up pretty soon. So we should be past that part of the uncomfortable stuff.

Reactions: Jeff Drummond
As a reader of the book, I love how they've portrayed the characters so far. The young girl (Laena) in that gross scene with Viserys is actually older in the book when it happened, I believe she was 18 if I remember correctly. But anyway, this is going to be an exciting series, it's already defeated the crappy Rings of Power. Go cats btw!

Reactions: wildcatwelder
As a reader of the book, I love how they've portrayed the characters so far. The young girl (Laena) in that gross scene with Viserys is actually older in the book when it happened, I believe she was 18 if I remember correctly. But anyway, this is going to be an exciting series, it's already defeated the crappy Rings of Power. Go cats btw!
I've never read those books, but my son has, and he agrees with you.

Btw, welcome new poster!! GO BIG BLUE!!

Reactions: WildcatTargaryen
Matt Smith is absolutely killing that Daemon roll. He did not have a single line of dialog and stole the episode.... and I hated Daemon in the book.

and It's really good to have compelling dialog on a show again.

This is a setup episode. Definitely slow but the acting held attention. The Hand, The King, Daemon, Rhaenyra, Alicent and Cristin Cole.... all set up for the "what went wrong". Probably a 7 but if they do the payoffs right this could be a really good episode in hindsight.

Age up in the next 2 episodes. I think this will tell the tale. Rhaenyra and Alicent will look different.... espicially Rhaenyra.

Last edited:
Reactions: chroix
This is a setup episode. Definitely slow but the acting held attention. The Hand, The King, Daemon, Rhaenyra, Alicent and Cristin Cole.... all set up for the "what went wrong". Probably a 7 but if they do the payoffs right this could be a really good episode in hindsight.

Age up in the next 2 episodes. I think this will tell the tale. Rhaenyra and Alicent will look different.... espicially Rhaenyra.
I thought it was fantastic. Daemon and Rhaenyra are the best new characters in a looooooooong time.

The story in the third episode was thin, IMO.
Yea. That's why I thought if they do the payoffs right it will be really good in hindsight. The way they are doing this series you could watch season 2 and go back and re watch season 1 and catch a bunch of stuff you didn't realize was meaningful. If they do it really well you could watch season 4 and go back and rewatch season 1 and catch some stuff.

The thing that is making a bunch of GRRM fans excited is this story has big moments but you don't have a lot of story. The show creators are having to work all that out themselves. Its coming from a history book with 2 unreliable narrators as the source. Which is why some of these scenes are getting praised by book fans.

Like Daemon taking Rhaenyra to the whore house. 2 different narratives. One said Daemon took her there to ruin her rep and steal her virginity so he could marry her. One said he was teaching her how to seduce a man because she was falling in love with Ser Cole. The way they did the scene you could see how people in world could come up with both scenarios.

GOT 7 and 8 just left such a bad taste in everyone's mouth that it's hard to trust anyone anymore though. lol.

Wild that they are making me like Daemon and Cole... and Alicent. I thought the last 2 episodes, the actress playing Alicent, absolutely killed that role. But to like Daemon at all.... Just great writing. Dude doesn't have a single redeemable quality except fighting and killing and I can't wait to see him on screen.

Wild that they are making me like Daemon and Cole... and Alicent. I thought the last 2 episodes, the actress playing Alicent, absolutely killed that role. But to like Daemon at all.... Just great writing. Dude doesn't have a single redeemable quality except fighting and killing and I can't wait to see him on screen.
Daemon is essentially Heath Ledger's Joker except Daemon knows how to make the ladies swoon -- or he's Jaime Lannister without the moping and Kingsguard crap, if you will.

The trailer for Episode 6 is out and Viserys is in it. I thought they might just start the next episode with his funeral and reintroduce the new cast there. Not sure how that guy is still kicking (and apparently making another baby) 6 or 7 years after losing his fingers, passing out at his daughter's wedding like Hilary Clinton getting in an SUV, and generally looking like he's going to croak at any second.

It initially looked like making the Velaryons black was woke stunt casting but it is setting up nicely since the trailer for Episode 6 heavily implies that Rhaenyra has three children that clearly are not Laenor's. Poor Laenor -- what a crap hand he just got dealt, although his boyfriend did seem like a real liability.

Otto Hightower is Government Cheese Tywin Lannister. If Tywin was Hand, this shit would have been sorted out well in advance and Viserys' reign would have been the greatest in Westeros. Thus far Lyonel Strong is an empty suit unless his schemes with his clubfoot son have any real effect.

That was actually my least favorite episode but it was still fantastic. This series has been killing it. I hope they stick the landing. I assume it will end with
Rhaenyra and Daemon getting married and declaring war against Allicent/Aegon for succession to set up season 2.

Reactions: JDHoss and hmt5000
Daemon is essentially Heath Ledger's Joker except Daemon knows how to make the ladies swoon -- or he's Jaime Lannister without the moping and Kingsguard crap, if you will.

The trailer for Episode 6 is out and Viserys is in it. I thought they might just start the next episode with his funeral and reintroduce the new cast there. Not sure how that guy is still kicking (and apparently making another baby) 6 or 7 years after losing his fingers, passing out at his daughter's wedding like Hilary Clinton getting in an SUV, and generally looking like he's going to croak at any second.

It initially looked like making the Velaryons black was woke stunt casting but it is setting up nicely since the trailer for Episode 6 heavily implies that Rhaenyra has three children that clearly are not Laenor's. Poor Laenor -- what a crap hand he just got dealt, although his boyfriend did seem like a real liability.

Otto Hightower is Government Cheese Tywin Lannister. If Tywin was Hand, this shit would have been sorted out well in advance and Viserys' reign would have been the greatest in Westeros. Thus far Lyonel Strong is an empty suit unless his schemes with his clubfoot son have any real effect.

That was actually my least favorite episode but it was still fantastic. This series has been killing it. I hope they stick the landing. I assume it will end with
Rhaenyra and Daemon getting married and declaring war against Allicent/Aegon for succession to set up season 2.
Supposed to get Vhagar this episode too. Wonder if its just a view or for effect?

Yes repulsive by today's standards. However in a time when you could die from literally anything, life expectancy was much lower. People had to marry and reproduce at much younger ages before something has the chance to kill them.

It's pretty amazing anyone survived before modern times.
While partially true, plenty of people lived to 70+, the average life expectancy is WAAAAAYYYYY lower because so many children died in labor, hence the Caesar section scene. But you definitely had the higher probability of dying from a stubbed toe or minor cut back then. It’s not like most people died at 31 back then from old age.

Reactions: hmt5000
If the goal of recasting the two lead actresses was to make me hate two previously lovable characters, well done I guess. Could they find two more unattractive, unlikeable actresses?

If the goal of recasting the two lead actresses was to make me hate two previously lovable characters, well done I guess. Could they find two more unattractive, unlikeable actresses?
The despicable evil character everyone hates was one of the running jokes for me on Game of Thrones. They would raise up a character everyone hated and make them kill characters peoples like so that you could not wait for them to be killed. This series has not done that, yet.

Likewise, the characters you love because they actually have character and strength don’t yet exist on this show.

This guy sucks, and is awesome at the same time.

matthew_needham.0.jpg

Larys also looks alot like Tyrion if he weren't a dwarf.

"I have a tender spot in my heart for cripples and bastards and broken things."

Probably means nothing.

• Haha
Reactions: BigTyrone
I think the episodes are getting better and better. I'm having a tougher time remembering names with this version but it may be because of the random time jumps. Looking up ratings seems like an exhausting endeavor. Variety says 29 mil viewers per episode, and then some are acting like the ratings are crashing. I'm guessing it's the same jackasses who participated in the Marvel vs DC nerd fight trying to start an Amazon's Rings vs Max's Dragon nerd fight.

Last edited:
Not sure I understand the recasting of key characters while keeping others. I get the passage of time but I think I'd just handled with makeup or something. The show had way too much momentum to go this route imo.

It's still good but imo lost a bit with the recasting

That should be the last bad time jump. The younger kids will get aged up but everyone else should stay the same for the rest of the show.

You can really see why they had all those cats around when Arya was running around the red keep... Rats everywhere.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT