ADVERTISEMENT

House of the Dragon

As this season has gone on, I can’t help but think about DSmith’s doom and gloom thread where he linked an article a month before the show began complaining that House of the Dragon was woke. Of course leading to people saying, “guess I won’t watch now. Oh well, go woke go broke.”

Hopefully the ones who blindly listened to a dumb headline didn’t let that stop them from watching this great show. Basically, make your own decisions and don’t allow headlines to make them for you.
Yup, here I am to confirm your obsession.

As this season has gone on, I can’t help but think about DSmith’s doom and gloom thread where he linked an article a month before the show began complaining that House of the Dragon was woke. Of course leading to people saying, “guess I won’t watch now. Oh well, go woke go broke.”

Hopefully the ones who blindly listened to a dumb headline didn’t let that stop them from watching this great show. Basically, make your own decisions and don’t allow headlines to make them for you.
Just relax man, who cares? Enjoy a show and let’s don’t politicize the few things we have that aren’t.

Just relax man, who cares? Enjoy a show and let’s don’t politicize the few things we have that aren’t.
Just simply pointing out how silly it was considering how great the show's been. It was a made-up controversy brought to the board. I'm not going to bring it up again, but it is okay to mention a past bad take and get a chuckle out of the ridiculousness of a previous thread and the hand wringing that ensued over a show that hadn't yet aired. And the idea that anyone could be missing out just because they assumed something weeks in advance kind of sucks. The various storylines and politics of GOT is what drew people in, not boobs and buckets of blood (although that ain't bad either). Same with HOD. One of the functions of message boards is to mock bad takes. That was a pretty bad take.

The twins are split up. I was curious how they would play that and I really liked how they did it. I'd of liked a discussion between before the one took off but it definitely sold one staying in KL and the other leaving.

Rhaenys could of ended this nonsense right there but left. LOL. She probably killed 3340 people on accident.

I found the episode slow until the end. Not having read the books, I thought early that Cole was the new John Snow, rather than a lap dog sociopath. The Queen knows how to pick ‘em. My wife loved the last scene. Said it was one of her favorites of both the shows.

Another solid episode. The dragons this season have looked phenomenal. Also had no idea Sunday is the finale. Hope Max steps it up with something else now because I'm caught up with Barry.
Eh. I sort of liked it but the Where's Aegon? Quest and Rhaenys' scene at the end were pretty stupid, tbh.

I like subverting the expectation that the penultimate episode is always the best but there was some serious headscratching nonsense in this one -- which is unusual for a show that has been spectacular so far.

Reactions: hmt5000
Eh. I sort of liked it but the Where's Aegon? Quest and Rhaenys' scene at the end were pretty stupid, tbh.

I like subverting the expectation that the penultimate episode is always the best but there was some serious headscratching nonsense in this one -- which is unusual for a show that has been spectacular so far.
Got to agree. It was one of the 'worst' episodes of the season but it still had tons of meat on the bone to enjoy. I need to look into who directed that episode and wrote it. It did kinda feel different than the rest of the season.

Got to agree. It was one of the 'worst' episodes of the season but it still had tons of meat on the bone to enjoy. I need to look into who directed that episode and wrote it. It did kinda feel different than the rest of the season.
And it was a female director who felt she needed to give a woman a boss moment on her dragon.... Dangit these woke women are going to ruin everything. Just tell the damn story and let the story explain what you want to say. Quit explicitly putting scenes in because you "aren't sure that everyone realizes how amazing woman is".

And it was a female director who felt she needed to give a woman a boss moment on her dragon.... Dangit these woke women are going to ruin everything. Just tell the damn story and let the story explain what you want to say. Quit explicitly putting scenes in because you "aren't sure that everyone realizes how amazing woman is".
I don't think this series has been "woke" at all and find that to be a dumb criticism.

I don't think this series has been "woke" at all and find that to be a dumb criticism.
You'd have to listen to her breakdown of the episode. I agree on the show not being woke which is why I didn't say that. She just said that she did specific things at the end to show how badass Rhaenys was and when asked about 1000 dead people, she said "It's Westeros, nobody cares about the peasants". The show has been good to have people do things for reasons not just to show off a character. You could argue Daemon killing the crab feeder was that, but the director didn't specifically say "no, we just wanted to show how awesome Daemon was. We didn't really care about the reason he went out there".

It's a small gripe on an otherwise really good show. I should of known better than to read the article and watch the after show. Every single time they say something to make the show make less sense. GRRM is good about how he does his interviews but freaking directors can't help but act like a Hollywood resident to the 9's.

Last edited:
The ending probably should be questioned because it felt a bit odd and left many wondering why it happened. However, if we step back and don't treat these types of shows super seriously, it was still a badass moment. I get the criticisms though and since you know the material, I understand you want this to be as faithful as possible.

As far as "these woke women are going to ruin everything" - I mean, look, while we all want the Hollywood woke stuff in general to stop, at this point, dudes online would crush a badass horror film like The Descent if it was made today simply because it has an all female cast and some cool ass "boss" moments. I wish Hollywood didn't push agendas as much as they do, but guys online don't need to label every little thing they dislike as "woke" though either. Just my useless two cents.

Really good finale. Final shot was powerful and said it all.
Might have been the best episode. Incredibly strong finish that sets up a second season perfectly.

I always sorted of rolled my eyes at the dragon stuff in Game of Thrones but in this it is done much better, imo.

Can't wait for season 2.

Daemon might be the best GOT character ever. That combo of incredible charisma, competence, and a strange but firm moral compass mixed with him also being a cruel murderer is fascinating. I should hate the character but I'm rooting for him.

Aemond shoulda just kept flying 'cause him momma is gonna kick his ass. He was supposed to be the good/normal kid. Not a drunk and not a legit crazy person. Hoping for a scene where Otto and Alicent are just beating the hell out of Aemond and Vhagar comes and roasts those two. Kinda tired of their shenanigans.

Fat dude can't read. LOL.

Rhaenyra: "You gonna kneel, Auntie?
Rahenys: "We'll see."
Corlys: " **** that ho."
Rhaenys: "She holding it down, TBH."
Corlys: "A'ight, bet."

Luc needed to just turn around his little dragon and flew on home when he saw Vhagar's big ass.

friday-redd-daddy.gif

Daemon has some of the best lines in TV history.

Aemond shoulda just kept flying 'cause him momma is gonna kick his ass. He was supposed to be the good/normal kid. Not a drunk and not a legit crazy person. Hoping for a scene where Otto and Alicent are just beating the hell out of Aemond and Vhagar comes and roasts those two. Kinda tired of their shenanigans.

Fat dude can't read. LOL.

Rhaenyra: "You gonna kneel, Auntie?
Rahenys: "We'll see."
Corlys: " **** that ho."
Rhaenys: "She holding it down, TBH."
Corlys: "A'ight, bet."

Luc needed to just turn around his little dragon and flew on home when he saw Vhagar's big ass.

friday-redd-daddy.gif

Daemon has some of the best lines in TV history.

You know Daemon was holding in the biggest “I told you so” that a man would ever utter to his wife.

But after the past 24hrs Rhaenyra had, even Daemon didn’t have the balls to pull the trigger on that one.

Elizabeth Olsen was rumored to be in season 2 of HOTD but is shooting it down. Fan speculation was as Black Allie Blackwood. She said she had entertained it as a fan but didn't seriously consider it.

Damn. She would of been awesome as a Blackwood.

My favorite part was when they’re all in the war room at Dragonstone and someone was like “wait, we do have DRAGONS”. 13 to be exact. Yes mfers, you do! It was a real Aha! moment.

Sucks we have to wait for season 2. This was a really well done prelude.

Just finished it. I liked it better than most of GOT. When it was done I really had to wonder what was the woke part?

Daemon might be the best GOT character ever. That combo of incredible charisma, competence, and a strange but firm moral compass mixed with him also being a cruel murderer is fascinating. I should hate the character but I'm rooting for him.

Totally agree. I didn’t think he’d be able to pull it off. Instead he has completely dominated the screen. Really impressed with his performance.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
Just finished it. I liked it better than most of GOT. When it was done I really had to wonder what was the woke part?
It's not. Its just that in the books there was a question if the kids were bastards or not. The show just decided to make it clear they were and the King was just going to do the "emperor's new clothes" type of thing. The race swap led to that debate but the way they did it, it took that debate out of discussion. The whole argument was over race swapping and then having a parentage question. I thought it was actually better to lean into it. LOL.

• Haha
Reactions: chroix
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT