ADVERTISEMENT

Hot Take on the NBA

Jan 27, 2023
I feel like the NBA is the US’s equivalent of European Soccer; it’s more about the show than the game. Yes, the athletes are some of the best athletes in the world, but the league is made to highlight individual personalities (which includes a lot of prima donnas), to showcase highlights, and to manufacture drama (fights, feuds, contract battles, fan pageantry, injury stories, etc).

If you like The Show, which is fine and common, then you’ll like the NBA. If your bigger interest is the game, then you’re probably not going to be much of a fan of the NBA and will prefer college ball.

College basketball is a dog crap product though on the court overall.

I guess your logic also applies to the NFL and MLB then.
Why no, I don’t watch the NFL either. Thanks for asking. Baseball is a bit different. There’s only room for so much bending of the rules and showboating. I used to watch a lot of baseball though, and hardly watch it now and a big reason was all the preening/peacocking that was taking place. Hitters shouldn’t take 1 minute each pitch to get in the batter’s box. Pitchers shouldn’t take 1 minutes each pitch to dust up their hand and do a lap around the mound. The same sensationalism has become part of baseball too…scandals primarily. At least with baseball the players act with composure and reverence for the game; it’s part of the culture.

I don’t think what OP considers “the game” is anyone’s focus other than the fans at this point. High school kids are demanding guarantees. It’s over. Stick a fork in it. The fat lady has sung.

Nah. Everyone is that good. They make it look easy. People don't make the sake simple mistakes that are made at the college level, and theres noylt going to be a drought of wondering if someone can score wide open shots like in college.

The college product has gotten worse imo. I have no desire to watch any games outside of uk.

I do, however, like college football better than the NFL. Much slower and not as skilled, but I love the pageantry of college football

Nba isn’t real. It’s all scripted and the refs make sure it goes the way its supposed to
This is the way most haters chirp about the NBA at the beginning of each season. Though haters predictions rarely ever pan out. Hell, in terms of college basketball, if the predictions of 90% of the posters on this board came true about college bball, KRat would have 20 or more titles and Dook would be undefeated.

Last edited:
The NBA has been star driven since at least the 80s. Nothing new there, just more money and more media.

The NBAs biggest problem as far as the game goes, is they essentially allow moving screens at all times, and so the PNR is unstoppable for the most part. Every single team runs it. Every offense is almost exactly the same. They only draft players who are PNR capable, or guys who can spot up for a 3 in ISO. Nothing else matters because that’s all anybody really runs. The larger centers and the smaller guards are essentially legislated out of the game. Nothing will change unless they decided to not allow moving screens.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT