ADVERTISEMENT

Horror Movies

Ohh, that looks very interesting.

Going to do my yearly plug for Midnight Mass (again) in case anyone hasn't seen it yet. It leans a little more into drama than most Horror media, but in my opinion that makes it standout so much more, especially in a genre that mostly doesn't land with acting, screenplay, fine cinema etc. Context of these scene, and it's not a spoiler, is that Joe accidentally paralyzed the girl in drunken hunting accident. Just amazing scene.

I will always recommend anything Mike Flanagan. Loved Midnight Mass. Loved Haunting of Hill House. Loved Falls of the House of Usher. Loved Doctor Sleep. He’s with Amazon now. We’ll see if they can match what he did with Netflix.

Watched Oddity. Pretty solid.

Also, saw it in theaters, but in a Violent Nature now on shudder. I liked it pretty well too, when you accept it for what it is

Watched Oddity. Pretty solid.

Also, saw it in theaters, but in a Violent Nature now on shudder. I liked it pretty well too, when you accept it for what it is

Still need to see Oddity. I'm slacking a bit. Watched Halloween 3 a few days ago, and I'm really convinced that's a classic. Tom Atkins gets this college girl naked within like half a day of looking for her missing father lol.

Violent Nature was a lot of fun. I think the concept worked.

Reactions: christophero
May watch Longlegs today I've heard good things.
Instead of Longlegs I watched Late Night with the Devil, which was excellent. Late night tv show from the 70's, played out in real time where a possessed girl is a guest and things get crazy. From 2023, check it out!

Last edited:
Reactions: LineSkiCat14
Both were fantastic movies.

Half way through VHS Beyond.. and it's pretty bonkers. Proabbly the craziest and goriest of all the VHS entries.. and I like that the found footage feels more HD, where you can actually see what's happening (most of the time).

But hot damn, the acting in this one might be the worst in this series, and that's saying something. I wanted to crash that Skydive plane full of dorks before it even.. well, I won't spoil that part.

That's a problem with found footage a lot of times. The acting is just off. IDK if they are trying too hard to make it authenticate, but it comes off as very fake.

We watched The Conjuring 2 again last night. Good movie and better than the first IMO. Watching it with surround sound is amazing. Excellent audio.

Just saw this trailer for the first time. Looks interesting but doesn't come out until right after Halloween.

Getting ready to watch The Exorcist. Still one of my favorites. Jason Miller as Father Karras was superb.

Reactions: m080470
Yeah I think Cabin in the Woods might make my top10. It just threw the entire genre on its head, and the elevator acene/third act was absolutely bonkers.

Just watched Last Night in Soho. Very good. Edgar Wright makes great horror movies. I'd classify it as fairly tame horror, but that's not a bad thing. Visually great, loved the 1960s London vibe. I also like the subtle clues along the way:

the landlord mentioning to use plugs for the "smells" in the summer, and the fact that the main character was scrolling through articles of dead MEN, and not finding the girl she was looking for, were both great

A friend of mine asked me what's in my top10, and it's such a hard discussion. I could easily tell you what's in my top150, sooner than I could tell you what's in my top 10.

But I have 4 that I feel confident in. The Shining and The Thing are for sure top10 (probably top3), but I'd also add Cabin in the Woods and the original Black Christmas. I feel pretty confident that if I go through all my favorites, those 4 will be in the top10.

Edit: I'll add Alien to my top10. Just too iconic and did so much for the genre. So I got 5.

I'll add Alien to my top10. Just too iconic and did so much for the genre. So I got 5.

If you put Alien in there what about Jaws (I'd classify it as horror)? I'd say they are kinda similar with there being a creature killing people in ships they can't escape from. Both ends with their ship being destroyed trying to kill the creature. I think Jaws actually hurt real tourism because of people being scared to go out in the water.

If you put Alien in there what about Jaws (I'd classify it as horror)? I'd say they are kinda similar with there being a creature killing people in ships they can't escape from. Both ends with their ship being destroyed trying to kill the creature. I think Jaws actually hurt real tourism because of people being scared to go out in the water.

Jaws is certainly horror, more so than Alien is. And I know what Jaws did for the horror genre. It would probably be in 10 to 25 range for me, personally, just because it's a little tame for me. It didn't hit me the way that it hit people growing up in the 60s, 70s, 80s. Same with Pyscho.. both should be top10 horror movies in totality, but just a little too dated to make my own top10.

Continuing 31 days and 31 horror movies, well not when UK plays at night. Flatliners tonight. Actually, UK football is a horror show this year.

My son had me watch "Terrorizer" with him. Well I can say this, it is definitely a gore movie. The sawing of the girls into starting with her vagina was "different" and a little sick.

We looked for it Saturday night and his "pirate" movie app didn't work. Is it on any of the major streaming apps ?

We looked for it Saturday night and his "pirate" movie app didn't work. Is it on any of the major streaming apps ?

Yeah I think it's on Amazon Prime and/or Peacock. For Prime, you might also need the Shudder subscription (I can never tell which movie is on Shudder or just Prime), but it's like 6 bucks a month, and I think it's worth it if you're a horror movie fan. Shudder has a shit ton of horror movies.

You could also torrent it. Download uTorrent (use a VPN to change your IP Address) and then download a copy from The Pirate Bay. Once downloaded, you can then watch it on your PC, phone, stream it to a TV, etc.

Is it any good ? What did you think of the first one ?

I love em, but I'm also a gore hound, and I know some people aren't a fan of that genre. The 2nd one is a bit more polished (Terrifier 1 you can tell was pretty low budget) and it ups the ante in a big way. The kills are more brutal, and there's one in particular that goes way over the top. The downside to the sequel is that it's pretty long, when it doesn't need to be. The final 3rd act drags on a bit. But that's not really a reason to NOT see the movie.

If you liked the 1st one, you'll like the 2nd.

Oh and Lauren LaVera.. what a babe

MV5BYTNkZmZmNzUtM2Q1My00NmIzLWI3ZDMtNDA2N2Q2ODg5YmNlXkEyXkFqcGc@._V1_.jpg

Reactions: entropy13
yeah the first one, the killings was absolutely the highlight of the movie. It was definitely a low budget film, poorly shot and acting, but man the gore scenes are top notch. Glad to hear the sequel is better quality. Looking forward to seeing it.

Do you have any newer films along the lines of this one ? I don't really like the supernatural or ghost horror films, the more killing for me, the better.

yeah the first one, the killings was absolutely the highlight of the movie. It was definitely a low budget film, poorly shot and acting, but man the gore scenes are top notch. Glad to hear the sequel is better quality. Looking forward to seeing it.

Do you have any newer films along the lines of this one ? I don't really like the supernatural or ghost horror films, the more killing for me, the better.

Yeah I'm not the biggest fan of Super natural or ghost films. I honestly find the whole Conjuring/Insidious universe to be boring.

In a Violent Nature
Hatchet series (there's 4 movies)
When Evil Lurks
The Dark and The Wicked.
The Void
The Wrong Turn series
The Green Inferno

Theses are mostly recent films with some grisly kills and/or some real terror

Wrong Turns I have seen. Tried to find "Ina Violent Nature" Saturday night. Thanks for the recs. I will give my reviews of the ones I watch.

Rewatched the Forest. I really like it but the reviews were poor. Natalie Dormer (talk about smoking) goes to the suicide forest in Japan where her twin sister has disappeared. Also watched The Puppet man from 2023 which was excellent. Talk to Me is my favorite recent horror film.

Last edited:
Yeah I think it's on Amazon Prime and/or Peacock. For Prime, you might also need the Shudder subscription (I can never tell which movie is on Shudder or just Prime), but it's like 6 bucks a month, and I think it's worth it if you're a horror movie fan. Shudder has a shit ton of horror movies.

You could also torrent it. Download uTorrent (use a VPN to change your IP Address) and then download a copy from The Pirate Bay. Once downloaded, you can then watch it on your PC, phone, stream it to a TV, etc.
I liked Deadstream on shudder

Downloading Alien Romulus.

You know, maybe one day I'll stop pirating movies.. But until things become affordable again, I'm absolutely taking advantage of a pretty easy to use system of never having to pay for new movies again. I'm getting my pockets picked.. and if I can remove one of those hands and save $50/month, then I will.

I'm trying to find the best werewolf movie. What is the best one? So far I still like silver bullet and werewolf in London. What else is good?
Like mentioned previously, Dog Soldiers is a good one. Ginger snaps too. Silver Bullet is up there with the original Wolfman for me then an American werewolf in London and Howling

My lineup currently is night of the demons, demons 1 and 2, Suspiria, Vamp and Popcorn(the movie title) but I’ll probably also eat popcorn

Oh man I'm loving Romulus so far. I especially love how they are able to keep the technology in check from the release dates of Alien and Alien2. Old monitors, flips and switches instead of touch screens, that cool low-rez video watch.

I also can really see why people loved Andy's character, as it's revelaed pretty quickly he's a synthetic. And I can already tell why he was a bright spot in this movie.

Got a feeling this is going to land after Alien and Aliens, but above all the rest. The only thing I dont love so far, is that these actors aren't even young adults, they're like tweens. How the hell am I supposed to believe these two people are about the same age:

66b4d7b5a5fbe0.58399597.jpeg

images

Yeah I'm not the biggest fan of Super natural or ghost films. I honestly find the whole Conjuring/Insidious universe to be boring.

In a Violent Nature
Hatchet series (there's 4 movies)
When Evil Lurks
The Dark and The Wicked.
The Void
The Wrong Turn series
The Green Inferno

Theses are mostly recent films with some grisly kills and/or some real terror
Of the ones you listed above, other than the Wrong Turn movies, what 2 would you say are the best ? If you had to pick two to watch ?

Watched In A Violent Nature on Shudder yesterday. Kills were great (thanks Terrifier for making it okay to be gory and gross again) and the atmosphere was solid. Came away from it wishing if a few things were different, it could have been a good entry into the Friday the 13th series. Replace the killer with Jason, add some classic 13th music cues, and flesh out the characters a bit more and there's your 13th film in that series.

I'm still over the moon for The Substance. Only saw it once but it's hard to forget. I'd urge everyone to watch or revisit The Hitcher (1986). The 4K is available and I hadn't seen it in probably 20 years. Holds up incredibly well. One I watch every fall is Tim Burton's Sleepy Hollow. Watched it a couple weeks ago when Louisville had a week of dreary weather with temps in the 50s and low 60s. Perfect weather for one of Burton's last great films.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT